A journey through red tape comes to an end...

vpr

If you don't want to read everything scroll down till you see ***--- for the results.

We arrived in GuangZhou on Thursday the 22nd, and problems started right away. First we got to the airport in Wuhan and once we boarded the plane we were told that due to bad weather in GuangZhou we would be delayed. We were stuck on the plane in it's super comfortable (sarcasim) seats until after noon. They did serve us lunch...while we were still sitting on the ground which was nice of them. After the plane ordeal we finally got to GuangZhou.

We took a bus to the city and met our landlord. I will write more about them later, because they have been very kind to us.

Before we left we were checking everything, and found that my co-sponsor forgot two pages of the I-864 - the contract part where you print your name on the line. I think it's pages 7 and 8. We called them the day before and he said just to print it out and write his name on it, however we soon found out that there was another problem. The paper sizes between the US and China are different and we thought it was suspicious looking that he 'wrote' his name on two different size papers. We emailed him and asked him to scan and email those 2 pages, because then we could explain what happened and it being a print out would be more truthful. We didn't get these until Sunday the day before her interview. We went to a Kodak place to get it printed out and make some copies of things we forgot back home.

She also didn't do her resume, which I asked her to do, and the landlord said that sometimes they ask for that, so she did a very simple one and back to the Kodak place we went. She uploaded it to her QQ and when she got to the Kodak place it wasn't showing on her QQ, so we had to walk all the way back (maybe 5 mins) and then go back to the Kodak place again.

That night there was a big meeting with all the girls in this house all discussing things and showing the landlord their paperwork. They kept telling my wife that she would 10000% pass because it's a very 'simple' case.

I wanted to get up early like Kyle did, but we didn't leave the house here until 7:00.. She had a 7:15 appointment letter. The house we're living is right behind the embassy so it doesn't take long to get there at all, maybe 5 mins. We got in line and I took her up to the 4th floor where they wouldn't let me go any further (I tried even though I knew) so I departed. The coffee shop was next door, but we discussed this earlier and we decided that I would go to the Starbucks like Kyle did. I didn't bring my Macbook with me (from Wuhan) so I didn't have internet access but I did take my PSP.

I got a medium coffee and a chocolate danish and sat in a seat facing the street. In the beginning I was calm and confident in our case even though we had quite a few, in my mind, questionable things such as not having a college education, and the different sized papers of my co-sponsor's I-864. I just got myself worked up and made myself more nervous than I should have been.

***--- Start here if you want to skip all the boring stuff and just want to know the results ---***

At about 10:30 I saw my wife running in a very cute way she does with a big smile on her face. I knew at that point that everything was going to be fine. She came in and told me she got pink after about 1 or 2 mins. I have her a high five with both hands and we were very excited together.

She said that several of the girls around her were just talking and asking her how to say things in English. My wife speaks good English and she was getting a bit frustrated. She told them to stop and just to listen to the numbers because it was very noisy in there. She jokingly told them give me 5 yuan for each question :P

She was interviewed by the Korean American (not sure how she knows he's Korean, she didn't ask him) and was asked 1 real question and several small questions:

VO: When did you meet your fiance?

Wife: Sorry, he's my husband.

VO: Oh, that's right. Good.

Wife: Gave answer stating that we met in 2006 because I came to work at the same place she was working at the time. I don't know her exact words.

VO: Are you an English Teacher?

Wife: Yes, I am.

VO: Your English is good.

Wife: Thank you.

VO: Do you have wedding photos?

Wife: Sure, here you are.

He flipped through the book and looked at all the pictures, there were maybe 36 pictures in the book.

VO: Why aren't there any pictures of your family at the wedding party?

Wife: This is just a small party with our co-workers in Wuhan. We plan to have a big ceremony in the USA.

VO: Good.

Wife: Here are some pictures with my family. Would you like to see?

VO: Pass them to me please.

He pointed at several pictures asking who the people were, and where the pictures taken.

Wife: Answered.

VO: Congratulations you can go to the post office - she doesn't remember what he said after this point. She was too excited.

I ordered her a coffee and she began to call all her friends. We were both very happy!

I couldn't have done this without the help of several of the members of this forum!

I'm glad it went well for you both. Congratulations!