What would happen to the USA if we opened

What would happen if the USA opened our Southern Boarder for anybody to come an go as job markets dictate?

Initially there might be a great migration rivaling the one when India and Pakistan closed their boarders (of course, that was a 2-way migration), but I would imagine that within a few years things would settle down.

Would Mexico and other "Southern Nations" drag us down, or would we bring their status up, perhaps benefiting us all?

There is the concern about them "taking our jobs"....

Hmmm, we don't want them to come here and take our jobs in the USA, but we are perfectly fine with sending away all of our industry to their country????? Does that make any sense?

Go into the biggest retail chain in the world (Walmart), and how long will it take to find something (except perhaps medications) that was actually produced in the USA.......

Hmmm, maybe it would cause the entire world economy to crash.... What would happen if we changed the exchange rate so that 1 hr of US Labor would buy 1 hr of Chinese Labor..... It would have far reaching ramifications.

------ Clifford -----

It is amusing the way all the Chinese restaurants have illegal Mexican immigrants washing dishes. Sometimes they even cook. The Chinese people call them all "Amigo." You might hear them say, "Oh the last amigo went home to Mexico so now we have another one and this amigo might be okay, I don't know."

I have to add more since the computer shut down, most can't or won't speak english, we do have some people from Jamaca also but they speak english and creole, so I think the border is open already, check and see who is the largest growing race in the country, a friend of mine lived in Austin Texas for a short time doing electrical and was happy to move back here because he couldn't speak spanish

Guest blsqueaky

I can tell you a certain meat processing compnay that brings Mexicans in, sets up housing for them, transportation to and from work, and they have more than one plant in the states. Right now these plants are owned by Tyson, but before them, IBP.

Part of the discussion is to remember that there are millions of people around the world who have filed the proper immigration forms to come to America but they are waiting for their turn in the line for the quota for each country. It is not fair the way the Mexicans jump to the head of the line, illegally.

Here is what I wish could happen: for Mexico to be invaded by millions of illegal Chinese immigrants, see how they would feel then.

Part of the discussion is to remember that there are millions of people around the world who have filed the proper immigration forms to come to America but they are waiting for their turn in the line for the quota for each country.  It is not fair the way the Mexicans jump to the head of the line, illegally. 

right you are!!

Guest blsqueaky
Part of the discussion is to remember that there are millions of people around the world who have filed the proper immigration forms to come to America but they are waiting for their turn in the line for the quota for each country.  It is not fair the way the Mexicans jump to the head of the line, illegally. 

Here is what I wish could happen:  for Mexico to be invaded by millions of illegal Chinese immigrants, see how they would feel then.

Okay Robert, I guess that what I was trying to say here, and I did a lousy job of explaining, here is just one large corperation that is bringing them in legally, they are the sponsor. To me it is almost like the old days of a sweat shop.

I think that there is something to do with immigaration laws, like back in the old days with the military, if a Phillipino or Canadian joined and did full term in the military, then they could get citizenship.

Hmmm,

If the USA wants to keep the "Illegal Alien Workers" out, then they need to make it not economically profitable for them to come up here.

For example. When Walmart was busted for having "illegal" janitors, then they should have fined Walmart $100,000 PER WORKER. And, if they were subcontractors.... fine both the general contractor and subcontractor a hefty fine.

If, on the other hand, we wish the allow the hispanic workers, it should be designed so that they come up on our own terms. This might even include encouraging more English to be taught in the schools in countries with large emmigrant populations.

----- Clifford ----

Oh, interesting!!!! The Chinese require English in school now. Why hasn't Mexico, or any other Latin American country done this?

The Chinese people are way to smart to leave home for a country with bigger problems than their own (Mexico).

Maybe we ought to give up and make mexico a state.

Oh, interesting!!!! The Chinese require English in school now. Why hasn't Mexico, or any other Latin American country done this?

The Chinese people are way to smart to leave home for a country with bigger problems than their own (Mexico).

Maybe we ought to give up and make mexico a state.

On the contrary, the long term goal of a strong Mexican political movement is to take back California and the southwest. We are losing this protracted battle.

i'm having a tough time with Mandarin. I don't want to learn Spanish too. It's already way to common here in Florida.

Hell try living in Tx, 75% of the people I work with cant speak english

That's OK, You would think there would not be such an influence of Spanish in Wisconsin / Illinois but we even have some areas where a few road signs and other businesses are English and Spanish :blink:

Darrel, I know you probably remember some of them!

BTW, I did live in Texas for 3 years. But where I was at, not many immigrants (Ft. Hood). :P

Bryan