What would happen to the USA if we opened

Sending jobs out of the country is a big concern to most labor unions. But taxing companies on sending jobs out is not feasible. How do you define exporting jobs? If say GM close done a factory here and open one up in China, that is clear. So we should impose an exercise tax of 120% on GM for profits it would have made? For salaries it could have paid? GM would then not send those jobs away, instead its cars may cost 20% more than a Honda or Toyota. On top of the quality problem, with the added cost, it is not going to be able to sell any cars except to the most loyal auto union members. Eventually, in a year or two it goes for Chapter 11 and then chapter 7 unless it can sell its machinery to another country.

It is just not a solution. True, 95% of the footware, 80% or more of lighting, over 70% consumer, non-durable goods sold in chain department stores are made in China. If people don't like them, buy stuff made in other countries. I never buy clothing or shoes made in China. Buy Italian in outlet stores then. Protectionist measures are never going to work. China tried that in 1840. The reason U.S. is such a great country is because it allows for free competition. Structual adjustment is the key. It is like the dying iron production industry. Let them go. Let the workers go on wellfare. Then employ hundreds more making cell phones, high speed computers, telecommunications equipments that generates a much higher margin of profits.

As far as letting mexicans in, they can compete with their products. Physically letting in every one with or without skills adds tremendous pressure on the public health care and public assistant budget.

As with any group, once elligible for public assistance, it corrects the work ethic. Why adop such a policy when it is counter productive to our national interest. Those diswashers and night cleaner will immediately quit and get on the public dough. I know I would, making a choice of getting more money from PA and working my ass off. Or like many on PA in other groups, claim PA and work for cash.

When I went to China I was very interested to see the superb quality of the things for sale in the nice department stores. I was asking Ping again and again "is this made in China?" and she replied yes every time. I knew then that China, if they want to, can manufacture things of just as high or higher quality of any other country. The just don't export their good stuff, it stays at home, but they send overseas all their shoddy products just to make the dollar off of it without worrying about how long it might last or what kind of impression it might make, they got the dollar in their pocket. For example, recently Ping and I went in one of the finest jewelry stores in Birmingham and they have this section dedicated to fine china, plates and bowls, etc, things made in England like Royal Dorchester, and beautiful French china like Limoges, and Ping was not impressed. She said they have much nicer and better made china in China and that would be where WE bought ours.

Isolationis measures will always fail. People vote with their pocket books. the fact is if everything were made in the USA we couldn't afford it. We would be paying 2000 dollars for a 25 inch television for example. Inflation would sky rocket.

Isolationis measures will always fail.

The missus and I were talking about this last night. Isolationism appears to be fine and dandy, don't bother anyone else, mind your own business, few imports, few exports, all will be swell on your island, free from foreign influence... And then an Admiral Perry parks his fleet (Oh my, is that what modern warships look like these days?) off your coast and makes you an offer you can't refuse.