Great fares, great airlines

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you fly United you need to book on their new 777, these planes are much more comfortable than the 747. Also always buy your tickets from asian travel agency they are able to give the biggest discounts.

I fly from Boston to Beijing via Chicago two to three times a year for business , I have never paid more than 600.00-700.00 R/T.

My 2 yuan worth:

I have been to China about 13 times now, most of it on United.

One of the most important things to me is of course the price, but also the timing of arrival.

Because of the limited time off most of us experience in our jobs, I want to make every day count that I have with Lannie.

I know that United out of Chicago will get me into Beijing between 3:30 and 4;30, giving me enough time to catch the 5:30 flight to Chongqing arriving at 7:30 pm, and at our own house by 9:30.

Most other airlines would get me to Beijing around 9:00 necessitating a overnight stay in Beijing - to me a loss of precious time.

If I go in through HK, again I try to arrive in time to catch the bus service to Shenzen that evening. I get to see my wife the same day, and of course hotels and flights are much cheaper in China.

On United out of SFO (San Fran) I did notice a very large difference in the service and overall quality of life on that flight. It really felt more like a cramped bus service than anything else, and easily rates as one of my worst flights to China.

The seating was so cramped that when I put my tray table down, it covered the switch panel on the armrest. I have never anywhere in the world had seating that cramped - especially on a 12 hr flight.

The 777 service from Chicago has more room, and individual monitors at the seat.

Cathay Pacific does seem to have that little extra something in service, but I am still a loyal United customer as those miles keep racking up, and the 10,000 mile bonus at the end of the year doesnt hurt either.

United has also signed an agreement with China Air, so now I can book all the way to Chongqing, and finally get mileage inside China.

Every 3 trips now equals one freebie, so I'll definitely be there to interview and fly back with her (someday).

Dean

On United out of SFO (San Fran) I did notice a very large difference in the service and overall quality of life on that flight.  It really felt more like a cramped bus service than anything else, and easily rates as one of my worst flights to China.

The seating was so cramped that when I put my tray table down, it covered the switch panel on the armrest.  I have never anywhere in the world had seating that cramped - especially on a 12 hr flight.

Huh? You mean it's not suppose to be like that?!? :o

All my flights to China have been on the United SFO to PVG (Shanghai Pu Dong) direct flight. Think I'll have to try something different next time...

Jerry

Curious.  What's so different?

Well the food is good, and there is plenty of it. Snacks anytime you want them. Every seat has a TV with about 10 movie channels and 10 music and games like chess, etc. The stewardess acutally don't mind helping you or working... even with a smile. The seats are more comfortable and that's about it.

I would *almost* pay double to fly Cathay Pacific instead of United.

for what it is worth I have flown all three airlines to HK out of SFO...I flew Northwest once (DC10) and there was a layover in Japan (major drawback) the service and comfort was average...I flew United once (747) this was a direct flight and was not very happy with the food or service overall I would rate the service below average and the comfort average...I flew Cathay 5 times (all direct flights-all 747's) I think that their food and service was the best...the flight crews really are super...also, instead of centralized movie screens they place screens on the back of all of the seats, in this way you can choose to watch any of the movies or programming available pretty much anytime you want...however the major drawback to this is the fact that the screen is very small and the quality at times can be quite poor...so for my money if the price is reasonably close I would prefer to fly with Cathay...

Could not agree more. You really summed it all up!!

Guest blsqueaky

I remember back when I was flying to Shanghai and Beiijing quite a bit, I always flew NW, Columbus, Detroit, Narita then final. Did not mind the stop in Narita, about 1 hour, plenty of time for smoke brea, pus was flying so much, became a elite member, and that was great, boarded with 1st class and business.

Did not care for Asiana because I always was given a exit door seat, until I fleew with them, and was told that since I was U.S., could not get that seat.

This time trying something new, Delta from here to LAX, then China Southern. have not tried them yet. Found out the other day that now Delta and NW code share, so I can put these miles on my NW card, and now I think that this will give me enough for my next freebie. Yippe

The only drawback this time about the flight is the departing and arrival times. This one is really going to mess up the body clock, leave here 1930, 17th, arrive 0630, the 19th, GZ

On United out of SFO (San Fran) I did notice a very large difference in the service and overall quality of life on that flight.  It really felt more like a cramped bus service than anything else, and easily rates as one of my worst flights to China.

The seating was so cramped that when I put my tray table down, it covered the switch panel on the armrest.  I have never anywhere in the world had seating that cramped - especially on a 12 hr flight.

Huh? You mean it's not suppose to be like that?!? :angry:

All my flights to China have been on the United SFO to PVG (Shanghai Pu Dong) direct flight. Think I'll have to try something different next time...

Jerry

You know, I think United gets a little better once you've earned a few miles with them. Once you get premier status you get put into "Economy Plus" which has much more room. Both this year and last year I managed to get Executive Premier and can now use the Red Carpet lounge and get the little red priority tag put on mu luggage. It all makes a difference. On my last flight I was even able to upgrade to business which made the whole trip almost enjoyable.

If you can ever get on the triple 7's it really IS a much better experiece. But it seems United only flys the 747's to HK from SFO. The 777's seem to go to Shanghai and Beijing.

Your right. I've played the game for 5 yrs with United and usually stay around the premier executive level.

However, the trip from SFO to HK was the worst, I think because I had a very low priced ticket plus a free companion ticket, you kind of end up with the worst seats.

Generally I'm on the 777 in enonomy plus, bulkhead or emergency exit.

Once they build a profile on you, they take care of you pretty well.

One of the great advantages of premier status is boarding with first and business so that you can get your stuff stowed before the overhead space disapears.

Dean

Guest blsqueaky

Dean, you just brought up a suggestion for me to try. Since now Delta and NW are sharing miles, I am going to try and use my NW elite status, and see if I can board with the first class and business. Heck, it will not hurt to try.

Plus, I do have a profile with NW