Great fares, great airlines

Hi all,

Just thought I would tell you all that I found a special non-stop fair from San Francisco to Hong Kong... non-stop on Cathay Pacific (the best airline trip I ever had to HK).

The fair was only $649 with all fees and taxes and I only found it through expedia.com. Otherwise it was much more.

Louis

P.S. I am going Feb 11 - Mar 3

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to pop the bubble but I just checked the same dates on United ...

Right, but the United flights are brutal.

To me they do not compare Cathay Pacific.

Just my thoughts. I flew both.

Curious. What's so different?

I have a friend at work that flew Cathay and told me they were very good and the flight crew was very profesional. I haven't flown Cathay, but I have always had a good flight with United. I'm also curious about the difference.....

I don't mean to pop the bubble but I just checked the same dates on United ...

Right, but the United flights are brutal.

To me they do not compare Cathay Pacific.

Just my thoughts. I flew both.

Curious. What's so different?

United is cutting costs by shutting off one outboard engine half way....then all remaining 3 for a glide all together all the way from Japan on.. :lol:

Cathay waits till reaching China coast before gliding down..

Seriously, the difference might be / are

-Crew service

-Seats ( CX flies A340 from SF0 usually , UA the B747.. Airbus seats are wider in coach and just more cozzy.. In business they both are bearable :lol: :lol: )

Funny. I do the same coming into OAK in my own little plane. AvGas is expensive! Why waste it? :lol:

Yeah, I'm not sure what could be so different. On United the attendants are all very friendly. United food is no worse than any other airline. Economy Plus is plenty roomy enough for a not-so-huge guy like me. I'm not sure what more they could do (at least that would be legal and acceptable to my wife) to make me feel more comfortable. First class tickets for $600 would be nice but that ain't gonna happen.

I haven't flown Cathay, but I have always had a good flight with United.  I'm also curious about the difference.....

I haven't flown Cathay either, but had been a Premier member on United. My last round trip with them to China was just awful. This was after they declared bankruptcy, so I suppose it may have been related. There were a lot of little niceties that disappeared, like the paper menus and such. But that wasn't a big deal. The big deal for me was that rather than three food services like on all the previous trips, it was cut down to one food service and one snack service.

On one of the flights, they never brought out the food for the last service. They obviously had them in the galley, so passengers who were hungry enough would go there and ask for something, and come back with food. Then other people who saw people come back with food would get up themselves to get something, and so on and so forth. You haven't seen anything until you see dozens of people struggling through two narrow aisles on a 747 trying to get to the galley, and back, in both directions. I'm surprised the plane didn't crash from all the shifting weight.

Me, being my usual idiot self, thought that once they saw this going on, would put a halt to it by actually bringing the food out to everyone. Nope. They just stayed in the galley and handed out the entrees to people who were hungry enough to squeeze through the aisles to fend for themselves.

I don't know if they've switched back to three food services since I haven't flown them since. It's one thing to be starved on a three hour flight cross country, and another on a twelve hour trans-Pacific flight. As soon as I used up all my miles on United, they're off my list.

As far as the attendants on that flight, I hope they're collecting unemployment, or better yet, holding up signs at some street corner somewhere. :lol:

Jerry

Anybody used Northwest airlines? How are they, any good?

Northwest is oki doki. Two of my trips were on them (747s) with a plane change at Narrita between the US and Shanghai.

I want to try to fly the Northwest flight to Beijing. This is the one my wife and daughter came over here on. NW took real good care of them, for which I am eternally grateful. They are even better than okey dokey in my book.

I haven't flown Cathay, but I have always had a good flight with United.  I'm also curious about the difference.....

I haven't flown Cathay either, but had been a Premier member on United. My last round trip with them to China was just awful. This was after they declared bankruptcy, so I suppose it may have been related. There were a lot of little niceties that disappeared, like the paper menus and such. But that wasn't a big deal. The big deal for me was that rather than three food services like on all the previous trips, it was cut down to one food service and one snack service.

On one of the flights, they never brought out the food for the last service. They obviously had them in the galley, so passengers who were hungry enough would go there and ask for something, and come back with food. Then other people who saw people come back with food would get up themselves to get something, and so on and so forth. You haven't seen anything until you see dozens of people struggling through two narrow aisles on a 747 trying to get to the galley, and back, in both directions. I'm surprised the plane didn't crash from all the shifting weight.

Me, being my usual idiot self, thought that once they saw this going on, would put a halt to it by actually bringing the food out to everyone. Nope. They just stayed in the galley and handed out the entrees to people who were hungry enough to squeeze through the aisles to fend for themselves.

I don't know if they've switched back to three food services since I haven't flown them since. It's one thing to be starved on a three hour flight cross country, and another on a twelve hour trans-Pacific flight. As soon as I used up all my miles on United, they're off my list.

As far as the attendants on that flight, I hope they're collecting unemployment, or better yet, holding up signs at some street corner somewhere. :lol:

Jerry

Jerry,

I think you were right about the timing. It sounds like you were just a victom of what was going on. I flew with United months after that and I thought everything was back to normal. That is as far as my trip over and back. Could have just been the timing. :lol:

Bryan

Anybody used Northwest airlines? How are they, any good?

Northwest is oki doki. Two of my trips were on them (747s) with a plane change at Narrita between the US and Shanghai.

I want to try to fly the Northwest flight to Beijing. This is the one my wife and daughter came over here on. NW took real good care of them, for which I am eternally grateful. They are even better than okey dokey in my book.

Hi Robert,

My first flight ever to China (Last Dec.) was with NW to Beijing. The flight was very comfortable. I had plenty room to move about and the flight crew was very good and attentive. I fly with United now only because I have been able to save money with them over NW. :lol:

Bryan

for what it is worth I have flown all three airlines to HK out of SFO...I flew Northwest once (DC10) and there was a layover in Japan (major drawback) the service and comfort was average...I flew United once (747) this was a direct flight and was not very happy with the food or service overall I would rate the service below average and the comfort average...I flew Cathay 5 times (all direct flights-all 747's) I think that their food and service was the best...the flight crews really are super...also, instead of centralized movie screens they place screens on the back of all of the seats, in this way you can choose to watch any of the movies or programming available pretty much anytime you want...however the major drawback to this is the fact that the screen is very small and the quality at times can be quite poor...so for my money if the price is reasonably close I would prefer to fly with Cathay...