Driving in China

True Blue

I drive my little e-bike here every day on the "bike lane" which is just as wide as a regular vehicle's lane so cars are always weaving in and out of it, and im doing the same in theirs. Its the only way to get around, you come to adjust to the way of driving here, people know its dangerous so they aren't driving at breakneck speeds (save a few a-holes)

Its definitely dangerous, but the area I'm in people tend to follow the rules a bit more because a few of the intersections have camera's with large flash's going off every time someone runs the light.

I'm thinking about getting a blow horn, this little squeak my bike makes just doesn't cut it. :partytime2:

Edited by carl.hops (see edit history)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With so many vehicles here in the city of Chongqing, there are not many grid locks (jams), as where nothing moves. I have seen one small grid lock. With more and more vehicles coming on the streets now, I would say very many grid locks with start happening here. I noticed the new buses are downsized, that may help a little. The city train-transet is the way to travel when possible.

I drive my little e-bike here every day on the "bike lane" which is just as wide as a regular vehicle's lane so cars are always weaving in and out of it, and im doing the same in theirs. Its the only way to get around, you come to adjust to the way of driving here, people know its dangerous so they aren't driving at breakneck speeds (save a few a-holes)

Its definitely dangerous, but the area I'm in people tend to follow the rules a bit more because a few of the intersections have camera's with large flash's going off every time someone runs the light.

I'm thinking about getting a blow horn, this little squeak my bike makes just doesn't cut it. :rolleyes:

Carl, that e-bike needs an air horn...like they use on trains....the ones they use on 18 wheelers are whimpy compared to them...this way you could not only advise others that you are on the road, you could also BLOW THEM OUT OF YOUR WAY!!! :lol:

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

My wife doesn't drive yet. She suggested I rent a car next time for local travel the next time we are in China.

I'm not sure that is a great idea. Have any of you driven in China?

When I was in China the taxi dries were real "thrill rides". I just saw a TV documentary about the most dangerous roads in the world - they mentioned Chinese drivers are basically crazy and Chinese have 14 times the fatalities per 100,000 miles driven than Americans do.

Have any of you driven in China? What does it take to get a license? Did you feel safe?

Thanks for any personal experience and all advice

TB

Ok - this is a subject I have experience with. In fact, I just used my Chinese Drivers License at the medical test facility today in Reno. She asked for a picture ID - I gave it to her - she copied and handed back to me. HUH...it's all in Chinese!

OK, the real information. I lived in China about 18 months - visited several times before and after. When I matriculated at Xiamne University - I got a resident VISA vice a visitors visa - and of course the resident visa, 1 year, was for the purpose of being a student. I then asked all the Laowei that lived there how to get a Drivers license since my new girlfriend (now wife) had a car. The British Gal that was my deskmate - was just going back for her third try at the "written test" - of course it was in Chinese. She then had to take the drivers test. She finally got it.

I being old - found out that there are several agencies around the country - Beijing specifically - (They advertise on AmoyMagic.com) that will process your drivers license - and in short you send money, a copy of your US DL and a copy of your visa/passport details - and majically - in about 4 weeks...you get an official CHINESE Drivers License. (I know it's good - I've been stopped by traffic police - and at Province Border Crossings and it's been good every time). I vaguely remember it was about 5000 - you EMS 1/2 the money and documents - they work it for a couple of weeks and when they get it back - they call you and you send in the other 1/2 and they EMS your new license to you.

OK - the actual driving. I got to tell you all I had road rage for about 3-6 months - and started to feel tightness in my chest when I would go to drive - in certain situations. Xiamen has over 2 million people - is busy, crazy, and one of the worst places to drive. The only saving grace is they don't have any moto-che's around due to them being outlawed in the city (and most people don't use them).

Ok, the laws are pretty much the same as here in the US - (of course they don't obey them) but the written guide - like the DMV manuals here are almost the same. The biggest rule to understand - is DON"T MOVE THE CAR if you have an accident! Also - the other thing - first driver to a spot is the winner - no such rules of "yielding right away". That's about the only difference.

My wife and I have never had a fender bender or problem (I"m often surprised) and I drove to School everyday. I've driven to many other provinces/places and traveled most of the eastern places...including driving in Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Shenzhen. I passed on Hong Kong - and finally started just flying everywhere - as it was easier when I didn't know the large cities.

Don't be afraid to drive - but think about it before you do it. I also checked on Rental Cars - and I couldn't find any that didn't come with a driver. Things may have changed in the last 1.5 years.

Best of Luck.

. . .

OK - the actual driving. I got to tell you all I had road rage for about 3-6 months - and started to feel tightness in my chest when I would go to drive - in certain situations. Xiamen has over 2 million people - is busy, crazy, and one of the worst places to drive. The only saving grace is they don't have any moto-che's around due to them being outlawed in the city (and most people don't use them).

Ok, the laws are pretty much the same as here in the US - (of course they don't obey them) but the written guide - like the DMV manuals here are almost the same. The biggest rule to understand - is DON"T MOVE THE CAR if you have an accident! Also - the other thing - first driver to a spot is the winner - no such rules of "yielding right away". That's about the only difference.

Just in general - NOT about Mr. 2mercedes' situation

Most of te moto-che's don't have to follow any rules at all - they are the legal equivalent of pedestrian.

"Winning" is a bad attitude - you cooperate. If someone pulls alongside of you and NEEDS to get into your lane before he hits an oncoming vehicle or a brick wall or anything else, you "yield right-of-way" because he IS coming into your lane.

On the other hand, I've seen 3 buses in a row block off a cab driver who was simply trying to cut in. There can be a little competitiveness. It's probably best to realize that the cab and bus drivers earn their living by driving their vehicles - it's a little more important to them than it is to you.

Just for clarification - the delivery on the 2nd Mercedes was delayed - it should be in Hawaii the First week in April - so....it's only a 1 Mercedes situation!

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

Just for clarification - the delivery on the 2nd Mercedes was delayed - it should be in Hawaii the First week in April - so....it's only a 1 Mercedes situation!

:P http://www.chinafamilyvisa.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/scooter.gif

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Dont they have alot of buses and bikes in China ?

Have you been there?? :D :Dah:

http://i41.tinypic.com/10gjl1l.jpg

A 10 min drive beats a 1 hour (stopping at every stop, transfer times, etc.) bus tour any day in my book. The car can get to a LOT of places buses don't go. We've waited for taxis AND buses for OVER half an hour

Scooters are great, except when it's raining, or when it's NOT raining (dirt in your face), or hot, or cold.

They're all great, unless you have to carry a load.

It's a CHOICE, NOT a debate

Guest Pommey

Have you been there?? :huh: :lol:

http://i41.tinypic.com/10gjl1l.jpg

A 10 min drive beats a 1 hour (stopping at every stop, transfer times, etc.) bus tour any day in my book. The car can get to a LOT of places buses don't go. We've waited for taxis AND buses for OVER half an hour

Scooters are great, except when it's raining, or when it's NOT raining (dirt in your face), or hot, or cold.

no argument its a choice for a expensive to buy and keep luxary item thats not a necessity in china like in the USA.

Btw Randy as I'm sure you know you can get a load moved for far less than you are going to pay for gas :lol:

Have you been there?? :huh: :D

no argument its a choice for a expensive to buy and keep luxary item thats not a necessity in china like in the USA.

Btw Randy as I'm sure you know you can get a load moved for far less than you are going to pay for gas :lol:

It's a CHOICE, NOT a debate - BTW, the Chinese people we hired to unload the container worked for about the same money as the Mexicans we paid to load it. :lol:

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

I often drive while in China...I drive myself crazy with fear while riding in the backseat!!!

On a less serious note... I do understand the "flow" much better now and I find myself extremely at ease when flying up on pedestrans, bicycles, scooters, mule drawn carts, busses, trucks, sidewalks, on-coming traffic, block walls, trees, wheel chairs..etc.

It's all okay with me, I don't own the car, am safely in the backseat, and I find it very comfy to sit back and let Dale Earnhart do the driving. B)

tsap seui

i have driven some 30,000km in china, most of it on highways, and i agree night driving in city is most dangerous - parts of china have started banning drinking and driving, but these idiots (at least 50% of all chinese drivers) don't turn on any lights even when it is pitch dark! What kind of sh** culture is that?

I understand why wife's girlfriend wanted a Hummer now.

And, it is still true that, killing someone is much cheaper than injuring someone - so keep that in mind, don't get involved in accident, or if you do, try to make it a fatal one, economically speaking.

My advice, if you are not confident with your accident-avoidance skill, do not drive.

I think many people here that drive or want to drive in China need to take look how the laws actually work, not how they are written.

Pretty much if you hurt someone, be it with a vehicle, beat them up, stab them or whatever you will be put in jail and threatened with a long jail term.

Now what happens next is where it gets strange, basically before a person goes to trial lawyers from the person who was hurt and the person who committed the offense meet. If the person who committed offense can come up with enough money to satisfy the person who was hurt, then the victum tells the court they do not want to continue with the charges and you walk free.

Being American is where this will get very touchy, because they will see you as rich, even if you are not and the amount of money asked for will be huge.

If you visit or live in any city in China it is far cheaper, and far less risk to just hire a driver if you own a car, or use public transportation.

• 1 month later...