She is finally here

3timescharm

My wife just got her first bad lesson on tipping. Two nights ago I took her to a Chinese buffet, it's the only place around here that has close to real chinese cooking. It is a relatively inexpensive place to eat. Our bill came to 26.01, I only had $20. bills so I gave the my wife $40 to hold while I checked for some change, as I was checking the watress came and my wife gave the $40. to her and told the waitress thank you and said some thing to her in Chinese and the girl left with the money. I asked what did you say to the waitress. My wife said she told the girl the food was good and that we leave now. I asked her if she knew she just give the waitress a $14 tip for a 26 dollar meal?

My wife said I give her no tip. I told my wife yes when you handed her the money and told her we were leaving, the waitress assumed the remainder was her tip. My wife got furious and said I go get money back. I told her no you can not give a waitress tip then try to take it back.

Just as I finished telling her this back came the waitress, my wife said see she bring the money. I said yes she bring something, but not the money. The waitress handed my wife 2 fortune cookies and left, my wife looked at the cookies, looked at the waitress walking away then looked at me. I almost fell over laughing.

I told her enjoy them they just cost you $7. each. I wasn't happy about the loss of the $14, but the look on my wife's face was worth it.

All the way home all she would say is "I sorry very sorry" "I sorry very sorry"

I guess I look at this story differently. The waitress surely knew the $14 was not meant to be the tip and took advantage of the situation (was the waitress chinese?). I would have had not problem to go back and explain the "misunderstanding" and get the money back. I always would consider whether I would return to that resturant.

My wife just got her first bad lesson on tipping. Two nights ago I took her to a Chinese buffet, it's the only place around here that has close to real chinese cooking. It is a relatively inexpensive place to eat. Our bill came to 26.01, I only had $20. bills so I gave the my wife $40 to hold while I checked for some change, as I was checking the watress came and my wife gave the $40. to her and told the waitress thank you and said some thing to her in Chinese and the girl left with the money. I asked what did you say to the waitress. My wife said she told the girl the food was good and that we leave now. I asked her if she knew she just give the waitress a $14 tip for a 26 dollar meal?

My wife said I give her no tip. I told my wife yes when you handed her the money and told her we were leaving, the waitress assumed the remainder was her tip. My wife got furious and said I go get money back. I told her no you can not give a waitress tip then try to take it back.

Just as I finished telling her this back came the waitress, my wife said see she bring the money. I said yes she bring something, but not the money. The waitress handed my wife 2 fortune cookies and left, my wife looked at the cookies, looked at the waitress walking away then looked at me. I almost fell over laughing.

I told her enjoy them they just cost you $7. each. I wasn't happy about the loss of the $14, but the look on my wife's face was worth it.

All the way home all she would say is "I sorry very sorry" "I sorry very sorry"

I guess I look at this story differently. The waitress surely knew the $14 was not meant to be the tip and took advantage of the situation (was the waitress chinese?). I would have had not problem to go back and explain the "misunderstanding" and get the money back. I always would consider whether I would return to that resturant.

I agree. $14 is too much of a tip for a buffet meal. Somewhere I read that you only need to pay $2-$3 for tips for a buffet meal, because you are getting the dishes yourselves.

We usually try to have small changes before we go to a restaurant. In case we don't have changes, we would give the waitress the money, then the waitress would come back with exact changes, and then we leave tips on the table from the changes we receive. The waitress sometimes asks if she can keep the changes.

Anyway, I know it is history. When the weather warms up, you can take your wife to a Chinese restaurant where they serve lobsters, mussels or clams, because those dishes are rare in China, and your spouse might like it.