Will the citizenship intervew and oath be on the same day?

Cathy

Good news. I just received the interview notice for the citizenship interview in one morning in April. It states the proceeding will take about 2 hours. Is there anybody know that 2-hours includes the oath ceremony or not?

I read other threads. It seems like that other USCIS Field Office could do the interview in the morning and the oath in the afternoon. I just hope the Tampa office will not take 2 days to get all these done, say, interview one day and oath on a different day.

Is there anybody having the citizenship experience at the Tampa Office? And, how was it?

Thanks

Edited by Cathy (see edit history)

That's good news, Cathy!

The 2 hours you mention sounds like only the time for the appointment and not includintg the oath ceremony. I don't know exactly how they will do it but chances are the ceremony will be held another day but a few places do have it the same day. The IO will be able to tell you. In my wife's case, the interview was held in D.C., 300 miles away, and the ceremony was held a month later in the federal court in a city closer to us. This is what the IO said would happen at the appointment in D.C. A month later, we received a letter informing us of the time and date. The ceremony took half a day to finish.

Anyways, good luck at the appointment. It's not so bad. You'll do just fine.

Cathy it can be but it usually is not. My wife had the chance to take the oath the afternoon of her interview but it would have been a 4 hour wait so she elected to take it another day. The Interview Officer kind of wanted her to wait until the 4th of July as they had a very big event celebrating the 4th that included the citizenship ceremony too. This took place just a short distance from where we live. So that is what we did. There was about a 2 week wait. The head man of the USCIS gave the oath and we had a chance to talk with him before the ceremony and not knowing who he was. He seemed to be a very nice man.

Another member here had the chance to do the interview and take the oath ceremony on the same day.

Larry

It depends on your local service center. Here in Portland if your interview is in the morning you can come back in the afternoon for the swearing in ceremony. If it's in the afternoon you come back the next day. Interview itself only took about 15 minutes.

Thanks so much for all the responses. It made sense that the interview only took 15 minutes. Just a few questions about the country history and English. I guess that 2 hrs includes the waiting time too.

The appt is about 11am, so I could request to finish the ceremony in the afternoon, if available. I'd rather wait for 4 hours than requesting another day off. My work involves either morning or afternoon shift. I will request one day off for the interview. Anyway, it is a huge change and it is worth of one day off.

4 July is too far away from April. I can't wait that long. I need the citizenship to explore my opportunity of joining the military reserve as an officer.

Another question, the notice didnt mention about USC. Who will be allowed to go into the building, only me or both people? I know the fingerprint building didnt allow my hubby in.

Cathy,

It also depends on if you opt to change your name or not. My wife had her interview in the afternoon here in Portland and came back in the morning for her swearing in ceremony. We had a friend who took it here in Portland, but had to wait a month for her swearing in ceremony. This is because when you decide to change your name it must be done in front of a judge.

Mike

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Well,,, there ya go, Cathy! "Different strokes for different folks", just the way the USCIS likes it.

If there's anything predictable about the USCIS, it's that they love and strive to be unpredictable! :D

Good luck.

Yep if you keep the natives guessing you have control over them. It would really be wonderful if every office of the USCIS would do everything exactly the same. That would take the fun out of it for them though wouldn't it? :blink: :D

Larry

Well,,, there ya go, Cathy! "Different strokes for different folks", just the way the USCIS likes it.

If there's anything predictable about the USCIS, it's that they love and strive to be unpredictable! ;)

Good luck.

Yep if you keep the natives guessing you have control over them. It would really be wonderful if every office of the USCIS would do everything exactly the same. That would take the fun out of it for them though wouldn't it? :D :D

Larry

Everytime they try to make things all the same they just drag the service centers doing a good job down to the same level of shitty service as the worst ones.