what to do in the usa?

pipi

hello,

my wife got the k3 visa last tuesday.

now the question is, what can she do in the usa?

she says people in the 001 forum suggests learning haircut/cosmetology?

what do u think?

she's giving me one week to come up with something...

BTW, the visa took 1yr 3mos, and 100% DIY...

Congratulations on the visa!

Your wife can do anything she wants! If she is interested in make up/cosmetology then she should persue it. If she has some other interests or if there is something that she does/did in China that she wants to continue, she can look for a job in that field. The opportunities are limitless! Good luck with whatever she decides to do! :pc:

She can choose to do almost anything she sets her mind to. Admittedly, it's hard to make definite plans without knowing the area you're going to. Has your wife been to the United States before? Has she seen how US beauty parlors operate? One thing to also consider is the saturation of such businesses in your local community/job market/opportunity, etc. There are a lot of things to consider (including her experiencing culture shock). How's her English - or - how's your Chinese? If her English aptitude is high - there may be translating opportunities available to her.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Hui my wife is a trained accountant but she hates the job. I told her she shoudl pick whatever makes her happy. She loves animals so she is thinking working at a vets office or the zoo...:)

Ask your wife what would she chose to do if money was not a issue. Like the saying goes find something you love to do and you will never work a day in your life.

robert

Hui my wife is a trained accountant but she hates the job. I told her she shoudl pick whatever makes her happy. She loves animals so she is thinking working at a vets office or the zoo...:)

Ask your wife what would she chose to do if money was not a issue. Like the saying goes find something you love to do and you will never work a day in your life.

robert

I tried this when my wife came over. It was like "playing piano to an ox" as my wife would say.

Some women come to America, and are content to live off their husbands salary, but most that I know HATE staying home and not "contributing" to the family.

I have written our zig-zag path to employment before, but here are some suggestions I have from not only my wife, but at least 5 other couples we know.

1) In america freedom = driving. Your sweety can never be independent unles she can drive. This is a totally unbelievable idea to most of them, but 1-3 years later they realize its true.

Oh .. BUY her own car! I know of guys who offer to buy their wife a car when she gets her license, like it is some kind of reward.. SHE wants that license more than you can imagine, she doesn't need a reward, she needs a car that is HERS, that she can practice in and become skilled in!

2) English is the prerequisite for most jobs. My wife is college educated, and was a senior supervisor in China. Local grocery store would not even interview her, companies did not even give her a chance. The root cause was her english, and honestly I think her english is pretty good.

Number 1 item is #1 because when they can drive, they can get themselves to ESL or other college classes. My discovery is that ESL is only marginally usefull. Learning vocabulary, and fixed phrases is NOTHING compared to listening and understanding, something required for a job.

3) Get in a position that REQUIRES english listening and speaking, even if it is volunteer. Working in a CHinese world does not help her learn. Initially it is sufferring, after 6 months she will be YEARS ahead of people who attend ESL class.

4) Finally a job.. I know this is #1 in her list, and #4 on this list, but without the other 3, this on is going to be a failure.

4a) Get a certificate for work no one else wants to do. My wife got a Certified Nurse Assistant certificate from the local college in 6 weeks. She studied herself (and me) crazy, but she got it.

She had 3 interviews and 2 offers within 1 week.

CNA is HARD work, she came home and cried some days her body hurt, her pride (wiping bottoms) hurt.. It was a miserable job. I will brag on her though, and say she didnt let it get her down, she let it motivate her to get a Certified Medication Aid certificate (3 months of summer school) while working (you have to be a working CNA to get it).

CMA is MUCH easier on her, but still the english is tough. She has to know the english names and usage for medications, but she doesn't cry anymore.

4b) Cosemetology costs 9,000 and does not require much english. It is a good way to go if she is intrested in cutting hair. The problem is you usually "rent" a chair somewhere, and pay part of your earnings to the owner. The jobs are uncertain, and the up front expense high.

4c) Cosmetology is really hair/nails/something else combined. If she is intrested in one of these, perhaps just get that certificate, and see how it goes before getting the others. Nail school requires english or vietnamese in Texas. One of our friends who has pretty limited english has been trying this for 6 months, she can't pas the exam. Be careful on nails.

4c) Go to college and get another degree. Going to college has the benefit of HAVING to listen to english and try to comprehend. Even if the dgree is a vetrinary assistant degree, the degree will help her get a job, and the class will help her english more than any ESL ever.. warning the first 6 months will be sufferring.

4d) Accountants can do book-keeping. Many businesses need this service, and the english required is pretty low. Understanding american bookkeeping probably needs at least a short course or two.

Summary:

Drive FIRST.

English SECOND

Job THIRD.

Job will require some kind of American credential (certificate/degree).

Thats my experience and advice to Chinese job seekers in America.

Edited by credzba (see edit history)

hello,

my wife got the k3 visa last tuesday.

now the question is, what can she do in the usa?

she says people in the 001 forum suggests learning haircut/cosmetology?

what do u think?

she's giving me one week to come up with something...

Note, K-3 is NOT work authorized, so will have to apply for EAD and/or AOS and wait for either EAD or Green-card before taking a job.

She can study for that job and perhaps get licensed before getting her green-card or EAD.

Other option, is IF you kept the I-130 processing through NVC, perhaps she can interview for a CR-1 visa BEFORE coming to the USA on the K-3, the CR-1 gets green-card and work authorization the moment she enters the USA. Cost to process the I-130 at NVC through to a visa is $470, the cost to adjust from a K-3 $1010.

1) In america freedom = driving. Your sweety can never be independent unles she can drive. This is a totally unbelievable idea to most of them, but 1-3 years later they realize its true.

Oh .. BUY her own car! I know of guys who offer to buy their wife a car when she gets her license, like it is some kind of reward.. SHE wants that license more than you can imagine, she doesn't need a reward, she needs a car that is HERS, that she can practice in and become skilled in!

Summary:

Drive FIRST.

English SECOND

Job THIRD.

This is great advise. Especially about the car. This is how I did it with Lisa. As soon as she got her learners permit, we got another car. Not just any car. It was nice enough to use as the family car. This is what she used to practice in and eventually perform her drivers test. She still drives the same carfour years later. I would add, to never take the drivers seat while she is learning. Lisa drove everywhere we went. Even on some three hour trips. She learned a lot by doing this. It built her confidence level tremendously,

There is nothing wrong with job second. Working in a Chinese restaurant or environment can help her feel she is helping the family. My wife worked in a Chinese environment as she went to ESL. Once her English skill was enough, she quit to go to Beauty School. She got her Nail License so she could perform pedicures. This still was not the last stop. Once again as her English improved she quit and is now graduating from Everest Institute massage course this Thursday!! My point is you do not have to wait to get a job in your desired field. You can start early and use each job as a stepping stone. The money my wife made in beauty salons paid for her massage school. Without it, we never would have been able to afford for her to go to massage school. Massage is her true calling and passion in life. It is what she did in China. She is now working toward her license here.

Hui my wife is a trained accountant but she hates the job. I told her she shoudl pick whatever makes her happy. She loves animals so she is thinking working at a vets office or the zoo...;)

robert

She is marrying you; thats the zoo she is talking about. ;)

Hui my wife is a trained accountant but she hates the job. I told her she shoudl pick whatever makes her happy. She loves animals so she is thinking working at a vets office or the zoo...:lol:

robert

If she wants to work at the Zoo then she found the right husband Robert :) :D

Hui my wife is a trained accountant but she hates the job. I told her she shoudl pick whatever makes her happy. She loves animals so she is thinking working at a vets office or the zoo...:lol:

robert

She is marrying you; thats the zoo she is talking about. :)

Sam, I did not see your post before I wrote mine :D

Summary:

Drive FIRST.

English SECOND

Job THIRD.

Truer words were never spoken. Not being able to drive was one of the main reasons for my divorce from my ex-wife.Others as well but driving was a huge problem.I begged her to learn how in China while she waited for her visa, but she said was so easy to learn how to drive. After 5 years she still cannot after countless lessons.

I live 8 miles from a small town of 900 in Minnesota.I live on a gravel road so driving is key to getting around.

As far as learning English I have always felt a job as cashier or sales person helps improve ones language fast. For my ex I got her a job as a cashier at a local grocery store. She had to talk to customers and she got to hear a lot of variations of spoken English as well.

Her English improved very quickly.

Also from my experiences from teaching spoken English overseas,Most ladies are embarrassed about their pronunciation of English as well, so a job where they speak a lot helps.

Plus no one from here is going to call China to check on previous work experience.

Sorry for rambling.