Best way to transfer $ from China to the U.S.

We're looking for the best way to transfer RMB from my Chinese bank account to my bank in the u.s. (USD). We went to the bank yesterday and were told to come back in the wee early morning, it would cost 140 RMB to transfer about 8,000. And my bank will charge me for the transfer as well. (have yet to ask them how much).

Is there a better way to do this? One lest costly and time consuming?

If you're only sending 8000 RMB put it your pocket!

Of you can't go with it...put it in a pair of running shorts and mail the running shorts to "whomever" ...that's what I do!

(OH, 140 RMB is much cheaper than EMS....maybe you should let the bank do it)

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

why not change it over to u.s. dollars and carry the 11 hundred or so bucks back with ya in yer pocket? 11 one hundred dollars bills ain't squat to carry.

That's exactly what we did with about 2500 USD. We have one of those money belts - so we just slipped it in that and returned to the States without any issue.

We have a friend who brings over to China roughly 8,000 USD to China on every visit for expense purposes.

I think you can easily take 10,000 USD across the border without any issue - so one or two thousand USD is simply no problem.

If your Chinese bank account has a Visa or Master Card logo, you can also use it within the United States. When my wife was visiting the US on her B-2 visas, that's what she did. We both use Merchant's bank - there were no additional transaction fees.

We also have used some good friends of ours who were returning to the States (take money for us). I gave my father POA so he was able to endorse a check on my behalf and deposit it into my account

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

We also have used some good friends of ours who were returning to the States (take money for us). I gave my father POA so he was able to endorse a check on my behalf and deposit it into my account

I believe you can do this without the POA. As long as the check is made out to you, anyone can write on the back, "For deposit only, Acct # nnnnnn" to your account

Agricultural Bank of China, EverBright Bank are all send/receive locations for Western Union. Postal Savings Bank of China are all receiving locations, but only selected locations can send.

You can send in RMB and the receiver can collect in USD. Make sure you fill out the form correctly and let the receiver know the exact spelling of the name you used to send it, the exact amount in "sending" currency, and the Money Transfer Control Number. They should be able to receive it in less than an hour after you send it.

While you can take up to 10,000 into/out of the US, you may encounter some less than stellar TSA agents, that may make your life difficult.

However, since I'm not going to assume that you are traveling, as you have implied, you could....

Well, I guess it's been about twenty years since I was in Asia, so I don't know what all you would do! Just watch out for the TSA agents, if you are traveling!

While you can take up to 10,000 into/out of the US, you may encounter some less than stellar TSA agents, that may make your life difficult.

However, since I'm not going to assume that you are traveling, as you have implied, you could....

Well, I guess it's been about twenty years since I was in Asia, so I don't know what all you would do! Just watch out for the TSA agents, if you are traveling!

I guess transfering money to my bank account in the u.s. might mean I'm traveling, really its only for a relative who plans to buy something for me off craigslist. I guess the fifst chance I get to go home I'll take a money belt. I know the TSA in portland, and the customes officers. Shouldnt have problems as long as I stay within the limits.

As sad as this might sound, I've never seen an american citizen put into secondary and searched or asked about how much cash he had. ;-) but I do remember staying for hours for them to release indians, arabs and chinese.

I guess transfering money to my bank account in the u.s. might mean I'm traveling, really its only for a relative who plans to buy something for me off craigslist. I guess the fifst chance I get to go home I'll take a money belt. I know the TSA in portland, and the customes officers. Shouldnt have problems as long as I stay within the limits.

As sad as this might sound, I've never seen an american citizen put into secondary and searched or asked about how much cash he had. ;-) but I do remember staying for hours for them to release indians, arabs and chinese.

Actually, you can bring as much money as you want back to the US, anytime you want.....you just have to DECLARE IT if it's over 10K. If two of you are traveling - or a third if you have a child...it looks a lot like $10K USD each to me. However, it's not a big deal to bring back more than $10K. FYI - I'm a little more carefulllllllll on carrying money to China --- I don't think I've ever taken more than $10K with me.....in USD.

Carl, go to China Postal and see what Western Union in China charges.

From the states it's only $14 to send up to 2500USD to China, then it's $26 up to 7499USD, could be different fees going from China.

tsap seui

Opps, just saw Larry's post about sending with W/U from China, your local China Postal may only be a catcher and not a pitcher

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Political staffer taking $4700 detained and questioned by TSA. This was in the news for a bit earlier in the year.

Yeah, and TSA was bitch slapped by the media for it. The Political staffer recorded the entire thing on his iphone and released it to the world.

And it looks like the ACLU has made sure TSA doesn't play rent-a-cop anymore.

http://www.aclu.org/national-security/tsa-...after-aclu-sues

As others have pointed out, you are allowed to bring any amount of monetary instruments across US borders, provided you declare if it is over $10K USD. Of course, by declaring it, you are also arming them with probable cause to detain you for "suspicious" activities if your explanation isn't satisfactory.

Edited by mmpv (see edit history)