Asian students under attack at S. Phila. High

lostinblue

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage...hila__High.html

Zhihua Tian traveled thousands of miles from his native China earlier this year to profit from the treasures of the American education system.

Unfortunately, he landed at South Philadelphia High School, where the number of violent incidents often overshadow student achievements.

Tian, 19, of South Philly, and five other students who are recent immigrants are staying home today because they were among 26 Asian students who were attacked by a gang of other students throughout the day yesterday, said Xu Lin, of the Chinatown Development Corporation, who works with victimized students.

Yan's son will be here hopefully in a few months. Our school system is fairly decent. We have the option to enroll him in a christian school for $6000/year. I am not really worried too much about something like this happening in our town. I have never heard about a group of students jumping each other in china. The only violence I ever heard about is the girl who through herself out the window in yan's apartment complex because she did not get into the correct high school.

So I throw this out to you How do you you handle things like this. I think if it happened to Yan's son BOTH of them would be heading back to china.

The local schools around where I live are basically gun and knife clubs. Just bought me a house in a much better school district so if we have our child then I won't have to worry about it.

The better school district is in the mountains of N Georgia about 120 miles from my present house.

The local schools around where I live are basically gun and knife clubs. Just bought me a house in a much better school district so if we have our child then I won't have to worry about it.

The better school district is in the mountains of N Georgia about 120 miles from my present house.

Yep, unfortunately this is how it is with big city school districts, need to move to the burbs, to find civilized school systems, not dealing with the social problems of the city.

I am fortunate to live in a small school district, but the down side is higher property tax to pay for the school.

Yep, unfortunately this is how it is with big city school districts, need to move to the burbs, to find civilized school systems, not dealing with the social problems of the city.

I am fortunate to live in a small school district, but the down side is higher property tax to pay for the school.

Then you need to come down Jawja way. The taxes in the small city are more than half of what they are in Atlanta, and great schools to boot!

http://www.rabuncountygov.com/

http://www.gamountains.com/

to profit from the treasures of the American education system.

Big joke!

The PS system is broken- not fixable. If you want to be shot, stabbed, raped, sexually harassed, sell or buy drugs, have sex with your teacher, then you're at the right place. I bet it's safer in prison! :crazy:

Most foreigners get a rude awakening

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Edited by N + W (see edit history)

to profit from the treasures of the American education system.

Big joke!

The PS system is broken- not fixable. If you want to be shot, stabbed, raped, sexually harassed, sell or buy drugs, have sex with your teacher, then you're at the right place. :crazy:

Most foreigners get a rude awakening

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Hard to fix two generations of Welfare single parents. It was called "The Great Society" truly a failed experiment, perpetuating negative behavior.

I have no issue with welfare when it is used to help a person in a bad situation, however I do have issue when the person being helped does not bother trying to get out of that situation. Taking from the productive members of society and giving to those who are not and are unwilling to become productive. It was proposed to adjust welfare to require the recipient to at lest work for the welfare check, community service, but the proponents of this called it "Slavery", my response to that was, "I have to work to get paid, so why not have welfare recipients do the same as me, WORK to get paid?".

I live in Habersham county north GA. and our schools are really good......I only work in Duluth but there are a couple of good schools there....but not all. My ex wife's son was stabbed in the gut at school a few years ago while we were still married. Lucky it was not very bad but as usual, nothing happened to the young man who did this....I mean young thug. The system made excusses for him...he came from a poor family and has trouble at home :ph34r:

I live in Habersham county north GA. and our schools are really good......I only work in Duluth but there are a couple of good schools there....but not all. My ex wife's son was stabbed in the gut at school a few years ago while we were still married. Lucky it was not very bad but as usual, nothing happened to the young man who did this....I mean young thug. The system made excusses for him...he came from a poor family and has trouble at home :ph34r:

I would hazard a guess at a single parent welfare family.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage...hila__High.html

Zhihua Tian traveled thousands of miles from his native China earlier this year to profit from the treasures of the American education system.

Unfortunately, he landed at South Philadelphia High School, where the number of violent incidents often overshadow student achievements.

Tian, 19, of South Philly, and five other students who are recent immigrants are staying home today because they were among 26 Asian students who were attacked by a gang of other students throughout the day yesterday, said Xu Lin, of the Chinatown Development Corporation, who works with victimized students.

Yan's son will be here hopefully in a few months. Our school system is fairly decent. We have the option to enroll him in a christian school for $6000/year. I am not really worried too much about something like this happening in our town. I have never heard about a group of students jumping each other in china. The only violence I ever heard about is the girl who through herself out the window in yan's apartment complex because she did not get into the correct high school.

So I throw this out to you How do you you handle things like this. I think if it happened to Yan's son BOTH of them would be heading back to china.

this is only my method and it happened when i was in junior high and high school.

i was living in the lower east side in nyc, the big apple or the rotten apples. it was the late 70's and early 80's, the asian kids always get jumped by the non-asian kids, before and after schools 24/7. we united ourself with the older teenagers in chinatown (more fighting experiences) and we took care of business, you know what i mean? after 3 years of battles (wins and losses), we were not picked on anymore, we won the war. :ph34r:

t

I would hazard a guess at a single parent welfare family.

Yes :P

"...Yep, unfortunately this is how it is with big city school districts, need to move to the burbs, to find civilized school systems, not dealing with the social problems of the city..."

Not the case in Portland. Except for the North section, The burbs are the school districts that have the thugs.

Not saying everything is utopia, the liberal layed-back aspect of the district places so much emphasis on 'diversity' that it forgets that the first priority should be to teach---not to social engineer.

Mandarin immersion, as you might expect, attracts a more serious group of students... (and parents)..

Guest Tony n Terrific

As the US Government policies continues to destroy the middleclass and deindustrialize our manufacturing base things will get only worse from here on out for the public school systems. The wealthy will send their kids to bettter private schools and the John Q. Public kids will be attending mediocre at best schools. A generation of Have Nots are starting at our door now.

"....As the US Government policies continues to destroy the middleclass and deindustrialize our manufacturing base things will get only worse from here on out for the public school systems. The wealthy will send their kids to bettter private schools and the John Q. Public kids will be attending mediocre at best schools. A generation of Have Nots are starting at our door now...."

The stress from economic pressure in the family structure is certainly a major factor in parental behavior, which influences the children, but I can't agree its the most important consideration.

Expectations for behavior at public school where quite high during America's depression. What was different was that there were two parents in the household----and that all-important father (traditionally, not a friend, or 'buddy' but more authoritarian) to discipline all children---but particularly boys.

Most teachers (including the one in this household) will confirm that single parent families (single moms)----now the vast majority in some school districts, are at the root of school yard violence, and general classroom disorder and disrespect. ----so much for the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman...

Curious, what US government policy, specifically, has contributed to the de-industrialization of America? Obama just threw the US tire industry a bone with tariffs on Chinese tires---which has served to raise tire prices at the low end, ie: for the poor..