Global positioning systems

Tn Vol

Now that she is licensed to drive, she says she needs a Chinese language gps. Does anyone make a gps that is easy to use and easy to switch from Chinese to English language? Since all the street names are in English how useful is it to have the commands (turn left on Maple Street) in Chinese?

Most navigation routing GPS systems use on-screen indicators of when/where to turn. She just needs to learn a little English to use them. By getting her a Chinese language GPS, you are enabling her to avoid using English. I would try to talk her into a GPS system that will help her, not hold her back. You can help her with the more complex programming, but the day to day use should help her with her reading/listening skills as well as tell her where to go!

I just got the tai tai woman a GPS last weekend. I asked her if she wanted me to load Mandarin for her and she said no. She didn't want it - names are all English and she knows her right from her left unless I'm the one saying it.

Yep, I have a Magellan Maestro 4040, my wife has no problems with the unit's speech, and entering points for it to navigate to.

I even hacked the unit's speech to change it's voice to a British voice.

"Take the motorway entrance on the right!"

She just needs to learn a little English to use them. By getting her a Chinese language GPS, you are enabling her to avoid using English. I would try to talk her into a GPS system that will help her, not hold her back. You can help her with the more complex programming, but the day to day use should help her with her reading/listening skills as well as tell her where to go!

I totally agree with this statement. I'm in the market for a GPS... it will only speak English. I guess first we need a Driver's liscense :unsure:

I just got the tai tai woman a GPS last weekend. I asked her if she wanted me to load Mandarin for her and she said no. She didn't want it - names are all English and she knows her right from her left unless I'm the one saying it.

Yep, I have a Magellan Maestro 4040, my wife has no problems with the unit's speech, and entering points for it to navigate to.

I even hacked the unit's speech to change it's voice to a British voice.

"Take the motorway entrance on the right!"

Right now I'm using an American gal's voice, but I tested it with an Aussie lass. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll get the old tai tai to flip out?

What would really flip them is a Scottish Accent!