Immigration officials weigh fee increase, layoffs

Good read.

Mayorkas added that since the last fee hike was implemented, the agency significantly reduced application processing times, a frequent point of criticism. The agency is now processing naturalization applications within five months nationally, and within about three in Houston, according to USCIS data.

Ok, that's great, but is the decreased processing time due to using the hiked increases to streamline and make the process more efficient (how was this done), or, are the decreased processing times due to less people submitting applications (I suspect both)? I realize that one could use circular logic in relating both issues.

Immigration benefit applications dropped off sharply after the 2007 fee increase, and talk of another cost hike is worrying immigrant advocates in Houston, particularly in the midst of the economic downturn.
Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

This caught my attention:

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano on Friday reiterated the Obama administration's commitment to seeking a legalization program in 2010 for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S., which would increase USCIS' workload exponentially.

This caught my attention:

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano on Friday reiterated the Obama administration's commitment to seeking a legalization program in 2010 for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S., which would increase USCIS' workload exponentially.

If they raise the fee's on people like us.....It will make it hard to justify spending that much more money just so someone in GUZ can screw you with NO recourse :P With a fee hike should also come some sort of refund or atleast force consulates around the world to grant the visa based on the current laws and regulations....not just there personal oppion. this scares me......if my SO doesn ot get pink...I will have to file for I-130 and that will be just that much more money I will have to spend with no promise of a visa for my SO.

One example of redundancy that costs money in processing is biometrics. You have to do biometrics at the interview, again when you file AOS, again when you file to remove conditions and again when you file for citizenship. Last time I checked your biometrics don't change throughout your whole life.

One example of redundancy that costs money in processing is biometrics. You have to do biometrics at the interview, again when you file AOS, again when you file to remove conditions and again when you file for citizenship. Last time I checked your biometrics don't change throughout your whole life.

That would be exactly what they're checking for, to make sure you're the right person

Maybe once when they enter the US but after that there would either be a record of someone filing twice or the original applicant leaving the country. I don't think it's necessary for removing conditions or citizenship.

That would be exactly what they're checking for, to make sure you're the right person

Good grief, don't get me started on biometrics. To date, Li has been fingerprinted 7 times....I suspect she will get at least one more when she does her citizenship thingie....

Good grief, don't get me started on biometrics. To date, Li has been fingerprinted 7 times....I suspect she will get at least one more when she does her citizenship thingie....

Jiaying was called in twice for fingerprints, and then a third time to the immigration officer's office - to tell her that her fingerprints had been rejected. She had to go to the Houston police dept and get a "Never heard of her" police report herself.

Turned out that she had whacked herself with a meat cleaver at the age of 7, and the scar was still showing on the fingerprints. The HPD was the only agency that had rejected them.