Fresh air... in fall/winter

bokiwen

My wife likes fresh air in the house, where she likes to open windows and our door leading to our screened porch. With the weather starting to get cold in Pittsburgh, I've closed the windows, and actually started running some heat within the last week. Yesterday, my wife had left for work at Walmart, and decided to leave the porch door wide open. When I came home from work, of course the furnace is running at full blast, while a majority of the heat is escaping through the door (my thermostat was set to 68, while the temperature was reading in the 50's). Of course, my wife says she wants "fresh air" in the house, but I'm not sure she appreciates heat. Her home in Wuhan for example really didn't have a heating system, and everyone wore multiple layers of clothing (including coats). She also complains that our oil heat dries out her skin (which is why we run humidifiers in our bedroom). Of course, this issue lead to some "discussions" between us

last year, and we had to have this discussion again already this year. It seems as though she would rather have fresh air than have heat.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had to have the same discussions with their SO?

I live in Wuhan with my wife. Out apartment complex has a heating system and we both enjoy it.

However, my wife's mother and father are very similar to your wife. They also like the "fresh air" concept. Even though I've bought them space heaters that will heat their whole apartment, they refuse to use them - most likely because of the utility expense.

It's really kind of sad, because for the past six years, my wife's mother, has had frostbite on her cheeks because she refuses to turn on the heat.

Your wife's mindset seems to be a common one, at least for people here in Wuhan. I too have heard of the importance of "fresh air" however, as for my wife and I, we enjoy having heat in the winter.

Ying is always wanting to "change the air."

Yin says basically the same thing, "change the air". Even with air cleaners running, it's difficult to convince her to change!

Yeah, Wuhan is one of those areas where many apartments don't have heat (because they anticipate a warmer winter). In the big snowstorms in 2008 in Wuhan, my wife got her boots wet, and they were wet all day, and she couldn't find an effective way to dry them.

Maybe Pittsburgh isn't a good city for a Wuhan girl (even though Wuhan and Pittsburgh are sister cities)..

Yup....change the air, the new rule, two hour requirement, never remembers to shut the doors/windows.

I'm cool with the concept...BUT chilled when it's done!!!!

70 works for me, but she would much rather freeze her cute little buns off down to 45 than turn on any heat. (dressed in layers!!)

I'm nervous about burst pipes and similar as this has happened to me.

Also it takes so long to warm up a frozen house...I just don't care that it costs a little extra to be comfortable.

note that when we get out of bed....she does like it warm since she has zippppooo on !! :) I'm gonna work it from that angle.

:D

We also live in Pittsburgh -- the cooler temps were nice until the nonstop rain kicked in a few days ago, huh?

In our apartment it's me who always keeps the windows open. We have steam heat that apparently can't be turned off in some of the rooms. If we keep all the windows closed it turns into a sauna. Also my wife cooks a lot with oil and it needs as much time as possible to escape before it coats everything in the kitchen.

We both prefer cool and brisk over hot and parched.

Linda and I have found a solution here in Chengdu...... I have convinced her that the air is not fresh (there is a major amount of airborne fine dirt/dust, even at our 17th floor level, and I've shown her that keeping the windows closed almost completely eliminates that problem), but we don't run the heat much, keeping the winter indoor temp between 60-65.

Edited by Bill and Linda (see edit history)

Here in Portland,

we hate to heat... probably keep it at 62-65 in the winter, and just wear the long underwear.. we have a notorious East wind----dry and cold (winter) dry and hot (summer)---but its in the minority---as you might expect---the rain is from the Pacific---the west our predominant pattern in winter.

But here's a question for those of you in Wuhan and Nanjing----since the Chang Jiang basically bisects your cities----do the residents north of the river get central heat, while the residents south of the river have to put up with space heaters?

The old CCP policy was that apartments North of the Chang Jiang could have central heating, while those south could not........

Still true?

Here in Portland,

we hate to heat... probably keep it at 62-65 in the winter, and just wear the long underwear.. we have a notorious East wind----dry and cold (winter) dry and hot (summer)---but its in the minority---as you might expect---the rain is from the Pacific---the west our predominant pattern in winter.

But here's a question for those of you in Wuhan and Nanjing----since the Chang Jiang basically bisects your cities----do the residents north of the river get central heat, while the residents south of the river have to put up with space heaters?

The old CCP policy was that apartments North of the Chang Jiang could have central heating, while those south could not........

Still true?

Here is a funny article on the subject

http://www.thehumanaught.com/blog/general/...o-heat-for-you/