Does anybody have any experience with GPS maps of China for Garmin?

Hi,

I was thinking about buying the China maps available from Garmin for my GPS unit. This way I can wonder away from my wife without the fear of getting lost. Does anybody have any experience of this software? Does it cover all of China - like they claim it does? I am interested in knowing what anyone can tell me about this software.

Thanks,

m-coon

Maps are very accurate anywhere you go, and they would use the same GPS satellites that we do here (they're not geo-stationery), so I don't see why they would be anything less.

Which Garmin unit do you have? That's a good idea - I may just buy one myself

Hopefully, someone will come along who's done this

Maps are very accurate anywhere you go, and they would use the same GPS satellites that we do here (they're not geo-stationery), so I don't see why they would be anything less.

Which Garmin unit do you have? That's a good idea - I may just buy one myself

Hopefully, someone will come along who's done this

Mine is the Nuvi 260W. Sold for about $400 when it first hit the market - but I picked it up last Christmas for $200.

I agree - I hope somebody here has used these maps before - I'd like to hear how good they looked and worked.

Scott

Ouit of 12 reviews on Amazon, 10 gave it the lowest rating:

I asked Garmin technical support about this and got this reply (June 1, 2009):

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. It is not intentional on our part, however the Chinese government does "shift" the mapping.

I think this is mainly to with China's legislation in regards to security in China and the use of GPS devices, so as to distort it not to give an accurate reading.

We would not be able to guarantee the accuracy of the mapping. Some customers have found it useful and some have not.

However, the other two gave it the highest rating

Initially, I was having the same offset problems with my China map, finally, after communicated with Garmin Taiwan and China, my Garmin is now working fine with this map...essentially, Garmin has omitted a "006B082300.bin" file in their earlier batch of SD card that were sold in the United States, once, this "bin" file is copied to the SD card, it will solve all the offset problems faced...It is sad that Garmin didn't recall their faulty product swiftly to avoid all the inconvenient caused to their "loyal" customers...

Ouit of 12 reviews on Amazon, 10 gave it the lowest rating:

I asked Garmin technical support about this and got this reply (June 1, 2009):

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. It is not intentional on our part, however the Chinese government does "shift" the mapping.

I think this is mainly to with China's legislation in regards to security in China and the use of GPS devices, so as to distort it not to give an accurate reading.

We would not be able to guarantee the accuracy of the mapping. Some customers have found it useful and some have not.

However, the other two gave it the highest rating

Initially, I was having the same offset problems with my China map, finally, after communicated with Garmin Taiwan and China, my Garmin is now working fine with this map...essentially, Garmin has omitted a "006B082300.bin" file in their earlier batch of SD card that were sold in the United States, once, this "bin" file is copied to the SD card, it will solve all the offset problems faced...It is sad that Garmin didn't recall their faulty product swiftly to avoid all the inconvenient caused to their "loyal" customers...

The US government also requires distortion on all but the military satellites - about 30 ft I think.

I still think this would allow me much more freedom and confidence to roam away from the comfort level of my wife or friends. This way I could get away to do my think alone. I assume I could mark "HOME" in the gps - and it will direct me back to home anytime I am not sure where I am. I just like the freedom of being able to do this. If it will work - it will be great for me.

If I do buy it and use it next month - I will post on how it worked for me in southeast China this trip.

I am planning on spending a great deal of time in China after I retire. I see this as being a very good investment that I will get many years of use out of.

The other option would be to buy another GPS unit in China - but then I have to get one that uses english.........?

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

The other option would be to buy another GPS unit in China - but then I have to get one that uses english.........?

Scott

Scott - I looked into this last year for my Garmin 750. The maps available in the US for China got poor reviews on every site I looked at. It said they were mainly for Beijing and tailored to visitors at the olympics.

When I inquired in China, they said the maps available there would not work in a US market device. I was not able to find any hacks to solve that. Also, the maps available in China only had Chinese language.

The same GPS costs 50-100% more in China, interesting since they are assembled there.

Todd