Wife name change when married?

She took my name.

We have not bothered changing name in passport.

Filed paperwork using married name, and listed maiden name as "Other names used" of forms that ask this.

Nothing complex about this at all.

When traveling simply carry a copy of marriage cert so that diferenc between green-card and passport names is understood.

When you married your wife, did she take your last name? If so, how did that work with her passport, immigration papers, etc?

Seems like it could be a complicating factor.

I hope my wife changes her last name, but I will leave that up to her. I know it's pretty uncommon in china.

When you married your wife, did she take your last name? If so, how did that work with her passport, immigration papers, etc?

Seems like it could be a complicating factor.

I hope my wife changes her last name, but I will leave that up to her. I know it's pretty uncommon in china.

My wife came to USA on a K-1, she knew it was customary in the west to take husband's name so sh did. In her case she had no middle name so now he middle name is her Chinese family name.

My wife also took my last name. Makes it easier for check books, bills, accounts, etc.

Also, call me old fashioned, stubborn, stupid, or sexist, but I told myself if I ever got married my wife was going to take my last name. It's the tradition here and I wasn't planning on marrying any American woman who was against taking my name. What's next? The kids take her maiden name too?

My wife also took my last name. Makes it easier for check books, bills, accounts, etc.

Also, call me old fashioned, stubborn, stupid, or sexist, but I told myself if I ever got married my wife was going to take my last name. It's the tradition here and I wasn't planning on marrying any American woman who was against taking my name. What's next? The kids take her maiden name too?

Funny you mention that. My wife is lobbying for this. :D

I hope you're kidding.

I hope you're kidding.

I wish I was kidding. This is the situation I am in. It will be a couple years yet before this comes to a head. But she is getting pressure from baba to carry on the family name. :D As if there isnt enough Chen's out there in the world already

Edited by bcco (see edit history)

I wish I was kidding. This is the situation I am in. It will be a couple years yet before this comes to a head. But she is getting pressure from baba to carry on the family name. :D As if there isnt enough Chen's out there in the world already

Well, in China the kids are supposed to take on the dad's name. I guess the wife taking on the husband's name isn't as important or traditional, but to have kids take on the wife's family name without a good reason (they own a business empire, the family name dies out, etc.) is a loss of face.

I think the earlier you come to a firm agreement on this issue the better. Your kids will be American citizens from day one and have to integrate into society. Your last name is far more representative of the merging of an American and his first generation immigrant wife.

Not to mention the intangibles the kids would have to deal with if they have the wife's last name. Kids are cruel as it stands and having their friends come over you'll already get the questions and such from being an inter-racial couple.

Add on the possible questions of, "Why is your last name Chen when your dad is white? Did your mom have another husband?" Etc., etc. and that is a head ache I wouldn't want.

Heck, even now when you go out you don't share a common last name with the wife and that also causes confusion. Getting married is the only easy name change and having two different names on documents, when making reservations, etc., are a pain.