Wife's first Job!

bokiwen

Li Yin got her first and second jobs! A couple weeks ago she was hired by the Pittsburgh Chinese School to teach Mandarin to 3-5 year old children for 3 hours a week (of course it's during Steelers game time and I don't feel 100% confident letting her drive to the school alone). This past week, she got a job offer from Walmart as a minimum wage cashier. She's very excited about her opportunities.

I'm happy for her, as I hope this provides her some self confidence she needs to succeed in America. She feels that her education (a 4 year degree in Business English from Hauzhong University in Wuhan, along with some graduate degree work with Beijing Normal University) is lacking to work in America. In fact, my wife wanted to start at the bottom and take GED classes because she felt her English was not good (she went as far as taking the skills assessment test and scored 27 out of 32, which showed she didn't need to take courses). We are happy that we have found a free CareerLink office with teachers, that are helping her become more confident.

Li Yin got her first and second jobs! A couple weeks ago she was hired by the Pittsburgh Chinese School to teach Mandarin to 3-5 year old children for 3 hours a week (of course it's during Steelers game time and I don't feel 100% confident letting her drive to the school alone). This past week, she got a job offer from Walmart as a minimum wage cashier. She's very excited about her opportunities.

I'm happy for her, as I hope this provides her some self confidence she needs to succeed in America. She feels that her education (a 4 year degree in Business English from Hauzhong University in Wuhan, along with some graduate degree work with Beijing Normal University) is lacking to work in America. In fact, my wife wanted to start at the bottom and take GED classes because she felt her English was not good (she went as far as taking the skills assessment test and scored 27 out of 32, which showed she didn't need to take courses). We are happy that we have found a free CareerLink office with teachers, that are helping her become more confident.

You should be very proud of her. It sounds like she is fitting right in. Let me say just a word or two about test. Chinese people tend to do much better on test than they do in every day communications. I had noticed this a long time ago when my wife and I were communicating via email. I wondered at times if someone else was writing for her but that was not the case. The assistant dean at a local college told she and I that it was very common place for Chinese people to do well on the english test but not so well in everyday speaking. The reason that I am pointing this out is that if she wants to learn more via some college courses don't discourage her. It can only help her and it may well enable her to rise to a white collar job soon.

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

My wife has been working at Wal-mart for over 3 months. We just got the discount cards... not bad, 10% off. My wife is a cashier also, they started her more than minimum though. IF your wife wants to improve her self that is good... My wife wants to get a better job eventually, but she doesn't beleive me you have to work at reading to be able to go for higher training... she thinks she has to learn the words first. :P ... It used to bother me, but until she figures it out for herself, I will just say "yes Dear" and let her be.

I'm sure the she really likes the Chinese teaching as well... but so close to the steeler games..yikes. I think I will have problems with my wife and watching the Giants play Sunday night :P ... we'll see.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

My wife has been working at Wal-mart for over 3 months. We just got the discount cards... not bad, 10% off. My wife is a cashier also, they started her more than minimum though. IF your wife wants to improve her self that is good... My wife wants to get a better job eventually, but she doesn't beleive me you have to work at reading to be able to go for higher training... she thinks she has to learn the words first. :P ... It used to bother me, but until she figures it out for herself, I will just say "yes Dear" and let her be.

I'm sure the she really likes the Chinese teaching as well... but so close to the steeler games..yikes. I think I will have problems with my wife and watching the Giants play Sunday night :P ... we'll see.

Thank you for the advice. I think my wife just feels unsure and not so comfortable yet, with working. Don't get me wrong, she doesn't think every American working is a PHD but she also feels they know more than her. I'm sure on the job learning will be tremendous for her. My wife is working hard, and will be working with a teacher from PA CareerLink to help her improve her reading, writing, and spoken English.

She goes for her Walmart orientation/training on Tuesday. Had to buy the tan pants and the navy blue shirts last night. Selection for the shirts was terrible in the woman's section so we had to go to the boys department for them.

She does enjoy her job at the Chinese school, but her first class went a little rough. She originally had 8 children, but they decided that the level of some of the children was higher than others, so they split her class. She has 5 children aged 3-5, and has to teach them and entertain them for 3 hours. She wasn't 100% prepared, but has since made a lesson plan for this week (she has asked the children to bring a toy which is an animal so they could learn the Chinese names of animals).

Congratulations!!!

The spouse's first job is an exciting time. I am sure she will do well at both jobs. It is definitely the best way, as some have mentioned, for her English to improve. My husband's English has lept and bounded from working. (Of course school is a good source of that too, but hey, with a job they are paying you, not the other way around! :P haha)

I am glad that things seem to be going well for you. I can't believe it's been over a year since our spouses got to finally be in the states! Next thing you know it will be time for removal of conditions!

Best wishes!! Tell Li Yin great job and good luck!

My wife has been working at Wal-mart for over 3 months. We just got the discount cards... not bad, 10% off. My wife is a cashier also, they started her more than minimum though. IF your wife wants to improve her self that is good... My wife wants to get a better job eventually, but she doesn't beleive me you have to work at reading to be able to go for higher training... she thinks she has to learn the words first. :unsure: ... It used to bother me, but until she figures it out for herself, I will just say "yes Dear" and let her be.

I'm sure the she really likes the Chinese teaching as well... but so close to the steeler games..yikes. I think I will have problems with my wife and watching the Giants play Sunday night :o ... we'll see.

Thank you for the advice. I think my wife just feels unsure and not so comfortable yet, with working. Don't get me wrong, she doesn't think every American working is a PHD but she also feels they know more than her. I'm sure on the job learning will be tremendous for her. My wife is working hard, and will be working with a teacher from PA CareerLink to help her improve her reading, writing, and spoken English.

She goes for her Walmart orientation/training on Tuesday. Had to buy the tan pants and the navy blue shirts last night. Selection for the shirts was terrible in the woman's section so we had to go to the boys department for them.

She does enjoy her job at the Chinese school, but her first class went a little rough. She originally had 8 children, but they decided that the level of some of the children was higher than others, so they split her class. She has 5 children aged 3-5, and has to teach them and entertain them for 3 hours. She wasn't 100% prepared, but has since made a lesson plan for this week (she has asked the children to bring a toy which is an animal so they could learn the Chinese names of animals).

My wife's first job was at a Chinese resturant. She worked there for about 3 weeks... she was a hostess, and she seated the customers... none of the waitress got a salary, they got to live in the house that owner had for free(like my wife did once in Shenzhen) and they ate at the resturant for free.. the only money they got was tips and some people didn't tip.

Walmart has been good for her, but she doesn't have a DL yet, so I take her to work and she drives there. I hope to get her a car towards the beginning of the year.

Getting the uniform was difficult, my wife wouldn't wear the ones from the boys department,... finally I bought her 2 pair from Kohls... she wore the same pants at first for about a month, she washed them every single day B) ...She needed some long sleeves shirts last week, we could find them in any store, so we bought some from Victoria Secrets on sale... I also got something for me(her) ;) ... No, I didn't get a thong for me :angry:

My wife was very intimidated with the cashier position at first, but after about a week at it, she got really comfortable.... today we were in another wlamart and we bought some green peppers and she entered the code from memory and we joked that she is a professional now :lol:

I wish your wife the best. She will make friends there... and improve her english everyday. My wife often makes cakes or goodies to take and share with her co-workers... I say no, but she could care less what I think :P

My wife has been working at Wal-mart for over 3 months. We just got the discount cards... not bad, 10% off. My wife is a cashier also, they started her more than minimum though. IF your wife wants to improve her self that is good... My wife wants to get a better job eventually, but she doesn't beleive me you have to work at reading to be able to go for higher training... she thinks she has to learn the words first. :unsure: ... It used to bother me, but until she figures it out for herself, I will just say "yes Dear" and let her be.

I'm sure the she really likes the Chinese teaching as well... but so close to the steeler games..yikes. I think I will have problems with my wife and watching the Giants play Sunday night :o ... we'll see.

My wife's first job was at a Chinese resturant. She worked there for about 3 weeks... she was a hostess, and she seated the customers... none of the waitress got a salary, they got to live in the house that owner had for free(like my wife did once in Shenzhen) and they ate at the resturant for free.. the only money they got was tips and some people didn't tip.

Walmart has been good for her, but she doesn't have a DL yet, so I take her to work and she drives there. I hope to get her a car towards the beginning of the year.

Getting the uniform was difficult, my wife wouldn't wear the ones from the boys department,... finally I bought her 2 pair from Kohls... she wore the same pants at first for about a month, she washed them every single day B) ...She needed some long sleeves shirts last week, we could find them in any store, so we bought some from Victoria Secrets on sale... I also got something for me(her) ;) ... No, I didn't get a thong for me :angry:

My wife was very intimidated with the cashier position at first, but after about a week at it, she got really comfortable.... today we were in another wlamart and we bought some green peppers and she entered the code from memory and we joked that she is a professional now :lol:

I wish your wife the best. She will make friends there... and improve her english everyday. My wife often makes cakes or goodies to take and share with her co-workers... I say no, but she could care less what I think :P

you know Jin likes working there too, she likes the other workers (as she calls them) she has made some good friends, as she puts it real people. Really I think its not a bad place to start off in, the key is unfortunatly she (your spouses) has to be able to talk/understand English/American pretty well.

If not its a job in a chinese business and that can be pretty ruthless.

Edited by Pommey (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

Wow my wife has been here a week and is already to go back. How do you find a job for someone who just quit a teaching career for 8 years and suddenly is worthless (her words) and needs to send money home for a mother going through cancer treatments that are expensive in China?

I feel culturally overwhelmed and have few answers!!!

I am also recovering from a heart attack last month and have my own issues!

Dan, this probably won't be what you want to hear, but...

How's her English? If not good enough to understand job training and instructions, then she needs to get into school to learn English before she tries to find a job. Other than that, her options are very limited.

In the meantime, you might need to come up with the money for Mom's medical treatments. Difficult to do when you are recovering from a heart attack and not working. Let her help you get healthy and get back to work so you can take care of the financial needs and that will take some pressure off of her.

She isn't going to just drop into American and go to work. It doesn't work that way. Too many people out of work right now for her to battle an uphill climb due to language issues. Solve that issue first and then she will be more confident to join the work force.

Remain patient and supportive, no matter what comes. Coming from a teaching career into the U.S. where she is menial labor isn't easy for her. But with some language training and some acclimation of her surroundings, she will begin to see her opportunities.

Wow my wife has been here a week and is already to go back. How do you find a job for someone who just quit a teaching career for 8 years and suddenly is worthless (her words) and needs to send money home for a mother going through cancer treatments that are expensive in China?

Hi Dan, would your wife consider a job at any of the hotel-motels? Pays only minimum, but would be a start. The hotel-motels here have a difficult time keeping workers on the cleaning staff very long with the minimuw wage. Good luck.

Ok

Her English is ok but a long way to go. I have contacted the local literacy council and she will start some esl study as soon as they have an opening in a few weeks

she would like to work at a hotel or motel that would be great except she would rather work banquet server type job than room cleaner but if we can find something it would be a great boost for her.

I welcome all comments and suggestions thanks

Dan, this probably won't be what you want to hear, but...

How's her English? If not good enough to understand job training and instructions, then she needs to get into school to learn English before she tries to find a job. Other than that, her options are very limited.

In the meantime, you might need to come up with the money for Mom's medical treatments. Difficult to do when you are recovering from a heart attack and not working. Let her help you get healthy and get back to work so you can take care of the financial needs and that will take some pressure off of her.

She isn't going to just drop into American and go to work. It doesn't work that way. Too many people out of work right now for her to battle an uphill climb due to language issues. Solve that issue first and then she will be more confident to join the work force.

Remain patient and supportive, no matter what comes. Coming from a teaching career into the U.S. where she is menial labor isn't easy for her. But with some language training and some acclimation of her surroundings, she will begin to see her opportunities.

Very to sorry to hear of your situation. Nobody said this would be easy... it hasn't been for me and I see it isnt for you.

Be patient, be understanding and remind her you love her and that is why she is here. IT will be ok. Tell her to be patient... She can talk to my wife if you like, she is the Mother Teresa of everyone in the USA :ph34r: .... My life isn't perfectm but we make it work and my wife is a good woman, I must say, shedrives me crazy... one thin I love abot abot her, she always asks how the Giants did and knows when they play,,..... not a big deal I know, but no other woman could care less :D Get yourself well and relax my man. Relax and let her know you love her. That's why she is here !!