Just got off the phone with DOS

Man, this has been a real learning experience in how our government works... :P

I ended up calling them twice, 'cause I forgot to mention the new GUZ number that Guangzhou gave me. On the first call, I gave them the NVC GUZ number, and was told that the case was 'loaded' into the computer today, November 10, but then she had no other information on the case. I asked when we could expect the P3, and she told me that it depended on whether or not Guangzhou has the physical papers already, since they may only have the electronic files. This went off into another discussion about paper versus electronic files and I forgot about the new case number.

So I called back and got someone else, and this time gave her the new GUZ number. She looked it up and told me that the P3 was sent back on Wednesday, November 5! I told her the other number showed that file was just loaded on the 10th, and she didn't know why it was different, but did read back my fiancee's address to me as where the computer showed they mailed the packet.

So my case has two case numbers, the NVC one shows that the file was just entered, and the Guangzhou one shows that P3 has already been sent... And the two of them don't seem to be linked in the computer...

For those of you who have already received P3's, do they use regular mail or some kind of priority mail? Is it the kind that you need to sign for?

Also, do they use Chinese characters for the address on the envelope or English pinyin? The second lady I talked to got a kick out of trying to pronounce pinyin and expressed hope that the Chinese postal system can figure out where to send it... :P

Jerry

From what I understand the Chinese postal workers are required to know pinyin so if you used pinyin it should be no problem.

What I could never figure out is that there are so many Chinese words that map into any one particular pinyin spelling (heck there are four tones that map into each spelling if nothing else), how they can manage figure out what the street addresses are suppose to be...

Jerry

What I could never figure out is that there are so many Chinese words that map into any one particular pinyin spelling (heck there are four tones that map into each spelling if nothing else), how they can manage figure out what the street addresses are suppose to be...

Jerry

I would imagine that spelling is somewhat like in the USA.

While there may be both a "McDonnell St." and a "McDonald St.", it is rare enough that even if one mispelled the street name, it would likely find the right destination.

In Portland there is a "Couch Street" (pronounced "Cooch"). I wonder what would happen if one just wrote "Cooch" on it??????

Do the Chinese use something resembling a Zip Code?

Apparently if you use a 9-digit zip code in the USA, it is specific enough to tell the postman which block and side of the street you live on.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could just use the 9-digit zip code and a name..... Would it find it's way to the right place?

------ Clifford ------

Hmmm,

3 case numbers already:

LIN number (Nebraska)

GUZ number from NVC

GUZ number from China.

Are the two GUZ numbers formatted the same? Is it possible to confuse the two???? What if GUZ re-used NVC numbers???????

I wonder why they don't assign a single number at BCIS, and have that number follow the application through to the end.....

Something like: LIN-GUZ-yyyy-mm-(LIN number)-xxxx

Then, if GUZ didn't like the LIN prefix, they could just drop it...... Hmmm, wouldn't want to confuse the Nebraska and Vermont apps so one might want to encode the BCIS office somewhere, or make sure that they don't issue the same numbers.

You mean that everyone that has been calling/e-mailing the NVC number may be getting incorrect information about their case status? And, the Embassy doesn't know whether or not they have even opened the packets?

I think they could use a little better QA :P

------ Clifford ------

snip//

I wonder why they don't assign a single number at BCIS, and have that number follow the application through to the end.....

That's like asking, why keeping it KISS , more efficient records cross-ref and avoid any screw ups later on...

:P :lol:

Tss. tss.. you know better to ask those questions. ..

:lol:

Just kidding.

Hmmm,

3 case numbers already:

LIN number    (Nebraska)

GUZ number from NVC

GUZ number from China.

Are the two GUZ numbers formatted the same?  Is it possible to confuse the two????  What if GUZ re-used NVC numbers???????

Ah, this is partly and easy one.. the LIN-number is issued by the INS, whereas the GUZ number is assigned by the State Department. Yes, I know its all rolled into the DHS.. but my last NOA in and envelope from the DOJ and was signed by the DHS.. go figue..

As far as GZ having a different number from the State Department (sorry, don't know the accronym there :D), all I can guess is that it has something to do with the double-data-entry. That's the thing I can't figure out, considering the states-side sytem and the consulate-system have access to the same data. Knowning the US government, the consulate is probably accessing the State Department database via a 2400 bps modem on an international call.. that explains the high rates on my 1040 (couldn't help that one).

Jerry, if the GZ number says that your P-3 went out Nov. 5 and your wife has not received it yet, send an e-mail to GZ and tell them. This happened to us and we finally had to fax the address in Chinese Character. That is the only sure way the post can find the house. There system of EMS is a little different than here. the post over there handles it, but it has to be signed for. She could go to the post office of her area and ask if it is there. Your I-129 form asks for the address in Chinese Character. Don't wait do something or you could loss lots of time.