Driving update

NewDay2006

It's just a matter of experience and time. My wife recently passed her driver's test (third time's the charm!). At least I don't have to worry about her getting a speeding ticket!

But I started her out in the parking lot just to get the basics then onto the road. I think I did kind of rush her at first because she panicked the first time someone was driving behind her and stopped in the middle of the road and I had to switch seats with her. But the next day we just started back in the parking lot and she eventually became more comfortable.

Sure there's the moments where you see your life flash before your eyes but that's half the fun! Once we were driving on this windy road, going about 45-50, and a semi-truck was coming towards us on the other lane. She freaked out a little and started driving off the road!

I remember when we started driving on the roads I would always have to tell her to speed up. It was like being in a parade! She still drives like a granny, but not dangerously slow. But most importantly is she's very careful and serious about it.

But patience is the key. She never even drove in China before so she had a lot to learn.

I am in the same situation, my wife never drove before, she's been here 3 weeks and we've started the practicing. I can see myself in some of the situations you guys talk about, she is learning to drive, I am instructing in English and she is trying to convert my instructions to Chinese...she needs more bandwidth! :P

Yes, i do. But when I was learning to drive, I concentrated what I should, he instructed and spoke quickly in English as if I was a person whose mother tongue was English. Besides, I do not understand many words about driving because driving words are different from other words. Even if I get a chinese to teach me in chinese I still need time to learn and reflect meanings let alone english.I know I need more to learn...

Amanda, a few well placed mop slaps will get Richard to be more patient and talk slower. In fact, the more whacks...the s l o w e r he will talk. :Dah:

He is patient. Besides, so far I have not found any mop in our house. He might hide it brfore I moved to USA. :D

I've heard this one is good.

http://www.amazon.com/Besta-GPS-88-Multi-L...boutThisProduct

This one is cheap but I can't tell if one of the multi languages is Chinese or not.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014B7QW...boutThisProduct

Here's a Chinese page with a few different ones.

http://chinaecool.online411.net/cgi-bin/fr...5&hidepic=0

That Besta might be the one. Thanks!

GPS for present?

That's a great idea! Can anyone suggest a particular model that can also gives directions in Chinese?

Garmin Nuvi has Mandarin voice and text but you need to look closely at the model. Seems the more sofisticated ones, that have voice regognition or pronounces street names, might be more limited on the number of languages, but ours has about 30 different languages.