Drunk-Driving Death Sentence

Guest ShaQuaNew

So if the US were to adopt this kind of death-penalty, how would it be applied? As Carl (warpedboard) has stated, it won't be much of a deterrent. Nobody honestly believes they'll lose control of the car, much less kill anybody while driving. "I won't kill anyone, so I won't worry about the drunk-driving death penalty."

A more forceful application of the law (kill all drunk-drivers, period) wouldn't fly either. It'd be much easier to just illegalize all alcohol consumption. I, for one, would fight to maintain my right to drink.

The better option is to increase education and true rehabilitation for drunks. But we all know how the US gov't feels about education...

Rehabilitate? It would be nice if people who abuse and are addicted to alcohol could be rehabilitated with strong results, but it just isn't happening. I suggest using public humiliation, like wearing pink clothing and picking up trash along highways and streets.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if the US were to adopt this kind of death-penalty, how would it be applied? As Carl (warpedboard) has stated, it won't be much of a deterrent. Nobody honestly believes they'll lose control of the car, much less kill anybody while driving. "I won't kill anyone, so I won't worry about the drunk-driving death penalty."

A more forceful application of the law (kill all drunk-drivers, period) wouldn't fly either. It'd be much easier to just illegalize all alcohol consumption. I, for one, would fight to maintain my right to drink.

The better option is to increase education and true rehabilitation for drunks. But we all know how the US gov't feels about education...

Rehabilitate? It would be nice if people who abuse and are addicted to alcohol could be rehabilitated with strong results, but it just isn't happening. I suggest using public humiliation, like wearing pink clothing and picking up trash along highways and streets.

I agree. The current system of rehabilitation is a joke, which is why I said true rehabilitation. There's no incentive to clean up, no punishment for repeat offenses, no follow-ups, etc. It's just "go to a class or two, do some 'service work', and you're free to go (drive drunk again)." But the current system is cheap, so why change it? Government spending is a Bad Thing, right?

Guest Tony n Terrific

Here in Ohio if you have 2 Dui's in a certain period of time you will recieve and pay for a license plate backround is yellow with high raised letters or numbers in red. You can see it a mile awy.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Castrate them

That would be nice to do a few days before they actually execute him.

BEIJING ¡ª A court in southwestern China has sentenced a man to death for a drunken-driving accident that killed four people in what's being called a first for the country.

The 30-year-old man was found guilty of endangering public safety and sentenced to death yesterday.

[i think you'd see a lot more arrests in China if there were police patrol cars that actually patrol the streets.

Oh please... strict incarceration is a western penal approach to crime. The US is #1 in terms of numbers despite our population does not support it logically nor rationally.

They don't patrol the streets for a very simple reason... THEY DON'T NEED TO. We are so brainwashed by social control in the US that we cannot fathom social order in a country 4x our size.

if we think the US is burdened with crime and laws now... wait till we are at 1 billion... I cannot imagine the slave state we will become.

Guest ShaQuaNew

[i think you'd see a lot more arrests in China if there were police patrol cars that actually patrol the streets.

Oh please... strict incarceration is a western penal approach to crime. The US is #1 in terms of numbers despite our population does not support it logically nor rationally.

They don't patrol the streets for a very simple reason... THEY DON'T NEED TO. We are so brainwashed by social control in the US that we cannot fathom social order in a country 4x our size.

if we think the US is burdened with crime and laws now... wait till we are at 1 billion... I cannot imagine the slave state we will become.

How many times have you found yourself walking the streets of China, whether crossing at a crosswalk in a rural area and was narrowly missed by a speeding car? Or walking on the sidewalk and was struck from behind by a fast-moving motorcycle? Or crossing a divided street, and noticed a fast moving car or motorcycle going the wrong way, and just missed being hit?

They may not have the violent crime, but the streets are not safe for pedestrians. Way too many car owners and drivers in China have a a "get the hell out of my way" attitude if you in any way are impeding their movement as a pedestrian. It's near total anarchy on the streets, and you take your life into your hands any time your a pedestrian. Do Chinese locals notice it? No, very unlikely. They get away with all manner of law-breaking on the roads, only because they can.

I have to agree with DavidZ on this, I have lived in Europe for over 27 years, driven on the worlds fastest roads (Autobahn) but I doudt seriously I would ever think about driving in China (Blinders on and re-enforced roll cage around my car). Fender-benders happen all the time in China and because of all the traffic in most of the major cities, going 50 to 70 kmph is no where close to the speed limits we have here in the USA nor anywhere close to Germanys speed limits.

So with that being said, and we don't hear much about traffic accidents happening that include death, but in this case, there were four death involved. Now think about this, the curbing in China for most main streets, are pretty high, to jump a curb is one thing, to drive the wrong-way is another, as most major streets have a center divider. Does the punishment fit the crime? We may agree to disagree here! But the court decided death for the individual, so be it and like many other's here who have posted acticles here, should we have perposed the same sentence, IMO yes.

Rehab only works if the individual really wants the help!

Germany has been hands-free (cell-phone usage) since 2003, get caught and that's a fine of $160 cash on-the-spot, the GP don't play games, they will drive you to the nearest bank to collect the fine. The diffence there is the shear speed, 75 mphs plus compared to here in the USA. I see this here in the USA, that drivers using cell-phones and texting are a major problems, one they can't concentrate on driving in the first place, I see this everyday day because I'm out there everyday. I see this with my in-laws everytime I'm in China, impeding traffic trying to find the restaurant.

Example, guys/girls driving in the extreme left lane on the freeway, see's his/her exit coming up talking on they're cell-phones, and cuts everyone off as he/she veers accross all the lanes (up to 4 or 5 lanes no less) trying to make the exit and they don't care on minute of the effect of what they have caused, you having to put your foot thur the floorboard so you don't hit them, no plan on where there going and how there going to get there safely. Then we sit and wonder why we have road-rage?

Edited by Chris&lijun (see edit history)

How many times have you found yourself walking the streets of China, whether crossing at a crosswalk in a rural area and was narrowly missed by a speeding car? Or walking on the sidewalk and was struck from behind by a fast-moving motorcycle? Or crossing a divided street, and noticed a fast moving car or motorcycle going the wrong way, and just missed being hit?

They may not have the violent crime, but the streets are not safe for pedestrians. Way too many car owners and drivers in China have a a "get the hell out of my way" attitude if you in any way are impeding their movement as a pedestrian. It's near total anarchy on the streets, and you take your life into your hands any time your a pedestrian. Do Chinese locals notice it? No, very unlikely. They get away with all manner of law-breaking on the roads, only because they can.

A comment from AngryChineseBlogger on pedestrian fatalities...

¡°Road Kill

While the introduction of mass transit highways and interstates has seen a small revolution in Chinese road transportation, opening many cities to long distance road traffic for the first time, they have also seen a dramatic leap in road traffic deaths, despite China as a whole seeing only a modest increase in actual traffic.

China remains one of the few places in the world where a 6 lane, 100 kilometer, stretch of highway, carrying an average of 2 motor vehicles a day, can rake up 8000 pedestrian fatalities in its first year.

The reason for this disparity between traffic and fatalities is not entirely clear, though some suggest that the percentage of these fatalities that occur during construction and maintenance work might have something to do with pedestrians walking down the middle of a lane and waiting for road rollers to honk and drive round them

Crosswalks

While China is often slow to embrace ideas seen as being foreign, one that it has embraced is the idea of the crosswalk; unfortunately it has embraced them in the same way that it has embraced the FBI copyright warnings that appear at the end of some DVDs.

They¡¯re here, they¡¯re there, they¡¯re everywhere, but nobody cares.

While most modern countries have crossing light and laws that compel motorists to stop and let pedestrians cross, and even developing countries like Afghanistan have local guerrillas who fire friendly warning shots from their RPGs to remind motorists to stop ¡­.. if they want to live. China has motorists who routinely honk pedestrians off of crosswalks.

Pedestrians in China cross at their own risk and if China were to ever to produce its own indigenous version of the Green Cross code, it would probably have two extra items in addition to the normal stop, look, and listen.

Run

Dodge

China is also the only place in the world where I have seen a pedestrian crosswalk on a six lane coastal highway. I quickly noted the lacks of warning signs, stop lights, and pedestrians, and decided that it would be best if I didn¡¯t try to use it too often.¡°

http://angrychineseblogger.blog-city.com/d...ads__part_3.htm

In China, I have been many times on the back of a moped racing through traffic and cutting off even buses in on coming traffic. Nothing more terrifying at first. I got used to it though.. soon pointing out the best next 'cutoff'; yes, I'm a backseat driver. Got to get from A to B and there's too many damn people, cars, and bikes in the street.

maybe we are too comfortable with our low population density in the US; the US is simply insulated and pampered with a bevy of laws which controls our movement like we're machines. Soon, life is seen as a combination of just red, yellow, and green decisions. Anyone every consider the influence of a society burdened with laws upon laws and what that does to the population's natural 'freedom'; one doesn't necessarily produce law abiding citizens but law controlled citizens. Maybe we're just too 'local' to notice it.

Pedestrians in the road; Again, I think we in the US are generally oblivious to population problems , so we can easily complain about anything which seems unreasonable to our way of conditioned living. We hurl too many international stones IMO.

The big question is: Why does china allow it? Why the lack of laws? This is a historical and cultural issue facing them in a modern way, but which so far they have not given up too much. I'll give just one thought: IN the US, we are 'told' this is all for public safety and our therefore our safety. Wait till we're at 1 or 2 billion people... we'll have more laws than sand on the beach, but it had better be logical transportation to prevent our every step being controlled. But in China, their history is one of the person being responsible; So they are extended that in many ways which we seem to not see so easily. I've always thought that chinese thinking shares some commonality to existentialism. It is one of the most enduring humanistic society.

I'm sure I've digressed too much... but I see this common theme on CFL of not understanding something very fundamental about the chinese way, maybe because it is not our accustomed way and therefore must be wrong or inferior.

Guest jin979

All seems to work just fine in most chinese cities as it is, go to Kunming and watch the cars bikes and people all together on road. Maybe the real difference is they are not texting drinking coffee and driving all together.

As for drunk/on phone/texting while driving is to take their license away for ever first time. then if they do it again or kill others. there wife, son, daughther is executed and they have to live with this.

unfortunatly this will put starbucks and ipod out of business to.

Best is they just ride bike or walk street/road in usa thats big shame to never be able to drive and makes live very hard. even for shopping. would be fun to see many on bikes loaded with shopping :lol:

My wife had her own car and drove in China for 10 years before coming here. She much prefers the American system of driving. In her own words she says "America drive more organize." Now this may just be her own personality since she is a person who likes things well organized.

In China, I have been many times on the back of a moped racing through traffic and cutting off even buses in on coming traffic. Nothing more terrifying at first. I got used to it though.. soon pointing out the best next 'cutoff'; yes, I'm a backseat driver. Got to get from A to B and there's too many damn people, cars, and bikes in the street.

maybe we are too comfortable with our low population density in the US; the US is simply insulated and pampered with a bevy of laws which controls our movement like we're machines. Soon, life is seen as a combination of just red, yellow, and green decisions. Anyone every consider the influence of a society burdened with laws upon laws and what that does to the population's natural 'freedom'; one doesn't necessarily produce law abiding citizens but law controlled citizens. Maybe we're just too 'local' to notice it.

Pedestrians in the road; Again, I think we in the US are generally oblivious to population problems , so we can easily complain about anything which seems unreasonable to our way of conditioned living. We hurl too many international stones IMO.

The big question is: Why does china allow it? Why the lack of laws? This is a historical and cultural issue facing them in a modern way, but which so far they have not given up too much. I'll give just one thought: IN the US, we are 'told' this is all for public safety and our therefore our safety. Wait till we're at 1 or 2 billion people... we'll have more laws than sand on the beach, but it had better be logical transportation to prevent our every step being controlled. But in China, their history is one of the person being responsible; So they are extended that in many ways which we seem to not see so easily. I've always thought that chinese thinking shares some commonality to existentialism. It is one of the most enduring humanistic society.

I'm sure I've digressed too much... but I see this common theme on CFL of not understanding something very fundamental about the chinese way, maybe because it is not our accustomed way and therefore must be wrong or inferior.

David, thought i have never talk to you before but you are good friend with my husband.

Yes i agree, In China and U.S. very no same.

transportation in China is no where the same in U.S.

In china transportation is like everyone is on the same page and thinks alike.

You walk into the road and people know where you are going in China.

I'm not sure the english word for what i'm saying but everyone knows where you are going in China in the streets and very few people get hurt.

I can remember when michael first came to Chongqing and ride in taxi.

He was very scared and worried about china and driving in my country.

Many people walking in street and road, He think people maybe die.

Now today and now year he more relaxed and understand chinese driving.

We now have house and new car in China and when we are in Chongqing he drive are car with no problems.

But my point is that no matter if in China or the U.S. drunk driving is very close to the same.

This is coming from a Chinese woman than knows what happens while driving drunk.

My X husband very like to drink wine and drive.

I remember he once drive drunk and crash car.

He kill good friend of mine in crash.

I have learned a lot here in U.S.in short time.

You drive drunk in U.S. or China and get caught the laws are very close to the same.

But the only deference is that in Chongqing if you drive drunk and kill people, You too will die!!!

David, thought i have never talk to you before but you are good friend with my husband.

it is good to finally meet you and see you posting. maybe tell hubby to get off the computer more and let you post ! :D

Thank you David, yes i tell michael he spend to much time on computer.

As for me posting, We have many computers in our home i can use anytime.

I just have been busy taking care of my family in china.

As you know my father just away very soon ago.

Things are ok now but i still have work to do in china to make sure my family is well.

After things get ok again i will post more very soon.

Thanks you David you are good man just like michael say.

Take care.

Hong