Hosed by GUZ

Guest Pommey

I sympathise with your plight but I hope this serves as a lesson to those going through the process to never book your sweet heart's flight to America until you have the visa in your hand. I have seen too many instances where they go to get the visa and get a blue slip instead.

DITTO, SHOULD BE PINNED ON MEMBERS FOREHEADS :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sympathise with your plight but I hope this serves as a lesson to those going through the process to never book your sweet heart's flight to America until you have the visa in your hand. I have seen too many instances where they go to get the visa and get a blue slip instead.

DITTO, SHOULD BE PINNED ON MEMBERS FOREHEADS :D

agreed, you can never be sure with GUZ...

What is DOS saying , visa approved ?

when do you have to leave GZ ?

I think GUZ gets some kind of perversed pleasure in screwing with US citizens. They finally gave me information in the visa. It is now at the post office. The only problem is they waited so long to give me an answer, I had to leave for Shanghai to catch my flight on Friday. Without further information, I made the best decision I could. It might have been weeks. So, now, I am faced with sending my fiancee back to Guangzhou to pick up the tickets. I am on the phone now trying to navigate the ticket maze with Delta. I can't change her ticket to a reasonable date. I can change mine at a steep charge. I can cancel her ticket and purchase a ticket for her (the current one is with Skymiles). I got a round trip for her because it was the most cost efficient.

I am on the line with Delta. A round trip ticket will cost over $2000. I don't know exactly yet. They are killing me. A one way costs $1400. The only problem is that Delta is saying I MUST purchase a round trip ticket because she is Chinese. They are checking further into it now. Anybody know if this is a requirement?

Delta has big balls,they are expensive,I was thinking about getting my wife on Delta from Shanghai to atlanta....the price they wanted was outragous(2000.00),i got her on Air China from Chongqing to New York 837.00...i never heard of any requirement,that you had to purchase a two way ticket,because she is chinese.very strange

jimi

In June I purchased a one way ticket on United from Beijing to Chicago to Knoxville, TN for my wife to leave China. The cost was about $900. The same round trip ticket was about $1200. After purchase of the ticket I was able to re-arrange the seats on-line so we sat together to Chicago.

Mr. Yang was able to purchase tickets for us on China Air from Guangzhou to Shenyang cheaper than we could either on the telephone or on-line. Mr. Yang even personally delivered the tickets to our hotel room near the Consulate. I would suggest that anyone needing airline tickets from Guangzhou to anywhere in China check with Mr. Yang.

In June I purchased a one way ticket on United from Beijing to Chicago to Knoxville, TN for my wife to leave China. The cost was about $900. The same round trip ticket was about $1200. After purchase of the ticket I was able to re-arrange the seats on-line so we sat together to Chicago.

Mr. Yang was able to purchase tickets for us on China Air from Guangzhou to Shenyang cheaper than we could either on the telephone or on-line. Mr. Yang even personally delivered the tickets to our hotel room near the Consulate. I would suggest that anyone needing airline tickets from Guangzhou to anywhere in China check with Mr. Yang.

The Yangs have been great. Mrs. Yang booked our tickets to Shanghai and will now book tickets for my fiancee's round trip to GUZ. I used Delta because that is who my company uses and I am allowed to collect the Skymiles. I paid for my flight over but used Skymiles for her flight. I thought it was smart because I could change her ticket without change, but Delta screwed me, saying they didn't have the fare class for the day I wanted to fly. In fact, they didn't have any for the range of dates we could fly. I did get the Skymiles back, which are worth at least $1200. The money out of pocket hurts. Although I am on the same flight two days later, I had to pay a premium to fly on Sunday, plus a $250 to change the ticket. Delta was the only choice for us to fly together. The $2500 includes both our tickets plus another trip to GUZ land.

My back was up against the wall with vacation. I had to come over to meet the parents. She wanted me to make a separate trip to show the importance of this event. I was able to compromise by coming a week earlier. I have been here 3 weeks already. I am almost out of vacation.

I thought it was safe. The VO assured her it would be there in 2 days. I have an extra day just in case. Her ticket actually ends up being cheaper with the last minute changes; it is just money out of pocket.

My complaint about GUZ is not the delay but the refusal to provide any information. You can't talk to anyone. If they could have told me that they were running behind and that it would get there as soon as they could process it, I would have stayed. Not telling me anything, I made the best decision I could. GUZ is a disgraced to the nation.

i totally agree with this. it has been reported many times on this site that visa issuance can take up to 12 days, so everyone should plan accordingly.

Edited by dale7570 (see edit history)

My complaint about GUZ is not the delay but the refusal to provide any information. You can't talk to anyone. If they could have told me that they were running behind and that it would get there as soon as they could process it, I would have stayed. Not telling me anything, I made the best decision I could. GUZ is a disgraced to the nation.

Congrats!

we know the frustration but count your blessing.

many here didn't even pass the first time around and TOLD NOTHING OF WHY. Many here would gladly trade places with you.

Don't rock the boat too much, they are others behind you hoping to 'PASS'.

Stay flexible. good luck.

i totally agree with this. it has been reported many times on this site that visa issuance can take up to 12 days, so everyone should plan accordingly.

Congrats!

we know the frustration but count your blessing.

many here didn't even pass the first time around and TOLD NOTHING OF WHY. Many here would gladly trade places with you.

Don't rock the boat too much, they are others behind you hoping to 'PASS'.

Stay flexible. good luck.

Well Stated..

We booked a flight out of GUZ last year before our blueslip for a K1. We waited for visa in hand this time.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

Don't waste your time griping with your whole future wide open in front of you.

GUZ is probably checking on a few extra things about your case. Just be patient and the visa will come.

I agree with Charles, as stressful/frustrating as the additonal wait can be, you are at the end, so just try and be patient. Anger at GUZ or at the system, will only increase your stress and those of others in queue.

You might note, right on the paperwork with the Pink slip, is a statement: "Although your Visa has been approved, you should not purchase tickets until you have received and inspected your Visa...." with a further statement to the effect, it is not really final, until it is final.

I have been told, that just prior to the visa being printed, they conduct an audit of the entire file, to ensure nothing was missed along the way. Furthermore, the P-4 paperwork, submitted on the day of the interview, is subject to further review/verification and this also can lead to a delay in what is the 'final' approval and production of the visa itself.

Also keep in mind, they are processing/adjudicating up to 400 visa applications (all types) a day at GUZ. Every visa that requires extra handling or extra review, increases their work load. While some will never agree, this is never personal with them. A case file is a case file.

Furthermore, fraudulent visa applications (of all types) submitted to the Consulate in Guangzhou, are among the highest, within the entire worldwide DOS system.

I forgot to add, in addition to what I outlined earlier (above) with respect to the process after the interview. The GUZ staff must not only recheck/audit the case file and produce the actual visas for attachment to the passports, they must also produce, prepare, and organize all of the important documents for that 'infamous' sealed brown envelope, for the POE officers to review and forward; and then they must enter/update all of the pertinent info to actually activate the visas and update the record/file in the DOS computer data base. I was told that the preparation of the sealed envelope and the data entry into the system alone, takes the better part of a day.

Also, right now is student visa season; there are a tremendous number of student visas being processed, along with the K series and CR series, as well as all the family visas, tourism visas and a whole bunch of adoptions going on right now, which also require visa processing.

With every interaction I have had on the 5th floor with various employees of this Consulate, I have always been treated well. But then, I have always communicated my questions/issues to them in a non-emotional and never a confrontational or demanding manner.

I went to ACS and asked for help in getting my visa a little faster, as I too, had airline tickets booked. I knew the rules but was hoping for a two day turn-around. It ended up being three days and I was feeling the pressure to have to wait for EMS processing. I plead humble pie to the woman, and was very appologetic and told her I understood their work load, but asked for some flexibility in picking up my visas in person. At no time did I get arrogant, snippy, or demanding with her.

She looked at her computer screen, sighed, and told me to come back at 5:00 pm, "we will have your visa package ready for you, as you are now clear in the computer". Had she not assisted me in this manner, I would have just sucked it up and made new airline reservations, because I knew what it says on the Pink slip form about not making plans before the visa is in hand, well before my airline booking time.

However, in this case, I thanked this woman profusely and kissed her hand !!! :lol: I could not have asked for more, as well as previous to that at an ACH when I was stressed over the status of my step-daughter, wherein the VO, after hearing my concerns, in a very compassionate manner, told me not to worry about it...."we see your situation often here."

I have many times shaken my head in amazement at some of the highly inflamed rhetoric directed at GUZ. We always hear only one side of any story; they are never able to respond in kind.

Therefore, I offer my experience. ;)

I forgot to add, in addition to what I outlined earlier (above) with respect to the process after the interview. The GUZ staff must not only recheck/audit the case file and produce the actual visas for attachment to the passports, they must also produce, prepare, and organize all of the important documents for that 'infamous' sealed brown envelope, for the POE officers to review and forward; and then they must enter/update all of the pertinent info to actually activate the visas and update the record/file in the DOS computer data base. I was told that the preparation of the sealed envelope and the data entry into the system alone, takes the better part of a day.

Also, right now is student visa season; there are a tremendous number of student visas being processed, along with the K series and CR series, as well as all the family visas, tourism visas and a whole bunch of adoptions going on right now, which also require visa processing.

With every interaction I have had on the 5th floor with various employees of this Consulate, I have always been treated well. But then, I have always communicated my questions/issues to them in a non-emotional and never a confrontational or demanding manner.

I went to ACS and asked for help in getting my visa a little faster, as I too, had airline tickets booked. I knew the rules but was hoping for a two day turn-around. It ended up being three days and I was feeling the pressure to have to wait for EMS processing. I plead humble pie to the woman, and was very appologetic and told her I understood their work load, but asked for some flexibility in picking up my visas in person. At no time did I get arrogant, snippy, or demanding with her.

She looked at her computer screen, sighed, and told me to come back at 5:00 pm, "we will have your visa package ready for you, as you are now clear in the computer". Had she not assisted me in this manner, I would have just sucked it up and made new airline reservations, because I knew what it says on the Pink slip form about not making plans before the visa is in hand, well before my airline booking time.

However, in this case, I thanked this woman profusely and kissed her hand !!! :D I could not have asked for more, as well as previous to that at an ACH when I was stressed over the status of my step-daughter, wherein the VO, after hearing my concerns, in a very compassionate manner, told me not to worry about it...."we see your situation often here."

I have many times shaken my head in amazement at some of the highly inflamed rhetoric directed at GUZ. We always hear only one side of any story; they are never able to respond in kind.

I would hate to think anyone from CFL was crazy enough to let their emotions rule them when dealing with the consulate, no matter the problem. I would NEVER speculate that anyone here has actually done that, and needed to be told not to do something idiotic like that. :lol:

I look at buying tickets ahead of the interview and an actual visa in your hand, since it is clearly advertised even to the point of being written on a pink slip, to setting yourself up to big time stress. To me it would be akin to leaving something important off of your I-129 or I-130. But, it happens and to me, CFL is an excellent place to vent your frustrations...as well as your happiness.

Long ago we were given a blue slip which took ten months for the DOS to finally turn into a white slip. We were asked no questions during that time and we, and two congressional liasons, were never given an answer as to the problem.

I had prepared a well drawn initial application which was front loaded with everything I could think of to make it strong and easy for the interview (this was before the term "front load" was even a thought, or a load in some one's pants, I might add). I went to ACH and was very polite and conversational with the VO...he even wrote in the computer that I was "a very nice and very caring man." That VO was very nice to me...and he lied through his teeth to me, right there to my face. :D

During our ten months of waiting out our blue slip, my wife and I sent in over 75 e-mails to the consulate....everyone of them was very adultly and politely written, without even a hint of a negative attitude.

During all our time with waiting I vented some pretty serious thoughts about our government on CFL....rather than cut my own throat with the sorry American workers within the consulate.

Now, back to our denial from the DOS, after all my work with "front loading the initial application, being a complete gentleman through-out ACH and e-mails to the consulate, and still unjustly being denied 10 months after the interview....the USCIS Service Center in Vermont finally received our denied case, took a look at it and without asking any rebuttal information from me, re-approved and sent the case right back to the DOS in Guangzhou. Opps, looks like our case should have gotten approved the first time. :lol:

I wonder how some folks who "LUCKED OUT" with the process would be asting if the VO hadn't picked their little yellow lucky ducky out of the ducky pond at their interview? ;)

The interview, and getting the visa in a timely manner is all a crap shoot. :) Ya do your best, and then sometimes ya just gotta do what's written in my signature below.

I respect what anyone who has ever been dealt a bad hand from GUZ feels, and I would never be so high handed as to think you weren't polite and business like in your dealings with the consulate.

tsap seui :D

Guest Pommey

you are nuts if you buy her ticket before you have your visa in hand. I know everyone wants to look good to their wife/fiancee and say " i got your ticket" but really dudes she can buy the frigging ticket in china a lot cheaper than you can here.