entering USA for her first time

Hi my wife is finally going to be here in USA,in 7 weeks. She will be flying from Chongqing To Bejing then to New York,where I will meet her and fly home to Tampa together.When she arrives in New York,what is the proceedure,will she have to get on a special line for new immigrants I know of course there is lines for citizen and just visitors.When she arrives,it will be 2 years we are married.so I think she gets the 10 year green card,correct me if i am wrong,anyway,just trying to get a feel for what she will have to do,when she arrives...she will arrive Air China at JFK Airport. thanks.

Jimi

The procedure is essentially the same at all POE, she will use the line for immigrants and visitors, turn in immigrations packet, and have passport stamped with the I-551 stamp. She will be fingerprinted and perhaps asked a couple of questions.

After that she will go through customs unless she is carrying more than $10,000 she should have nothing to declare.

Look up JFK here: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php There are 260 reviews of that POE

Hi my wife is finally going to be here in USA,in 7 weeks. She will be flying from Chongqing To Bejing then to New York,where I will meet her and fly home to Tampa together.When she arrives in New York,what is the proceedure,will she have to get on a special line for new immigrants I know of course there is lines for citizen and just visitors.When she arrives,it will be 2 years we are married.so I think she gets the 10 year green card,correct me if i am wrong,anyway,just trying to get a feel for what she will have to do,when she arrives...she will arrive Air China at JFK Airport. thanks.

Jimi

At San Francisco POE, there is a special line named "New Immigrants" that is shorter most of the time when Citizen lines are long. Do not know about JFK.

When entering, just show officer the unopened Visa package, have fingerprint and photo taken, and passport stamped. Pretty simple.

jimi,

all international planes will park in the international gateway, meaning only 1 entrance to get into jfk. after getting off the plane, follow pathway or follow people to custom area. she can not miss the pathway because there is no exits or detours any where in the pathway. the pathway will split into 2 lanes, 1 lane for USC and 1 lane for immigration and visitors, please have her stay on the LEFT of the pathway to immigration and visitors. she should also fill out a form while she is on the plane. i forgot what the form called but its for non-USC to fill out. it will saves her time in jfk. she hands over the brown envelope to officer and the officer will take her to a room where she will be processed. she will be ask some questions, like where will you live and who is your husband in USA.

my wife went thru JFK and i told her what i described above, good luck and congrats.

edit: my wife landed at 10pm but i did not see her until 11:45pm, due to alot people being process in the room, so expect to wait.

Edited by george lee (see edit history)

jimi,

all international planes will park in the international gateway, meaning only 1 entrance to get into jfk. after getting off the plane, follow pathway or follow people to custom area. she can not miss the pathway because there is no exits or detours any where in the pathway. the pathway will split into 2 lanes, 1 lane for USC and 1 lane for immigration and visitors, please have her stay on the LEFT of the pathway to immigration and visitors. she should also fill out a form while she is on the plane. i forgot what the form called but its for non-USC to fill out. it will saves her time in jfk. she hands over the brown envelope to officer and the officer will take her to a room where she will be processed. she will be ask some questions, like where will you live and who is your husband in USA.

my wife went thru JFK and i told her what i described above, good luck and congrats.

Since she is coming to the USA on a CR-1 Immigrant visa the only form she will need to fill out is the customs declaration form a white form with dark blue header.

http://206.241.31.129/ImageCache/cgov/content/travel/pleasure_5fvacation/sample_5fdeclaration_5fform_5f_2ectt/v2/image/1/cf6059b_5ffront.jpg

She will not need to fill in a NON-IMMIGRANT arrival/departure record (I-94) because she is NOT and NON-Immigrant.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

jimi,

Since she is coming to the USA on a CR-1 Immigrant visa the only form she will need to fill out is the customs declaration form a white form with dark blue header.

http://206.241.31.129/ImageCache/cgov/content/travel/pleasure_5fvacation/sample_5fdeclaration_5fform_5f_2ectt/v2/image/1/cf6059b_5ffront.jpg

She will not need to fill in a NON-IMMIGRANT arrival/departure record (I-94) because she is NOT and NON-Immigrant.

Jimi; of course you want her to tell the truth on this declaration form. But, best if she checks all questions as NO. Any yes answers will cause additional delays during her processing. As mentioned..have her fill this form out while on the plane. If and I'm sure she will have some difficulty understanding some questions...Chinese flight attendants are availabe to assist. What an exciting time for you two!!!

Jimi; of course you want her to tell the truth on this declaration form. But, best if she checks all questions as NO. Any yes answers will cause additional delays during her processing. As mentioned..have her fill this form out while on the plane. If and I'm sure she will have some difficulty understanding some questions...Chinese flight attendants are availabe to assist. What an exciting time for you two!!!

Correct, she is bringing items of personal nature to the USA so should have nothing to declare, so check No. Only if carrying a large sum of cash will the cash need to be declared.

Another thing, most airlines have an in flight magazine, like Hemispheres on United, in the back of that magazine are instructions in many languages on how to fill out the declaration form.

http://www.ink-live.com/contentFiles/image/issues/hemi-jul09.jpg

jimi,

edit: my wife landed at 10pm but i did not see her until 11:45pm, due to alot people being process in the room, so expect to wait.

Thanks,

this will help to calm her fears,i will be there to meet her when she is thru with immigrations,she will arrive in New York 2:40 pm. but i told her.....just follow the crowd getting off the plane,since everyone must go to the same place...immigrations.

Jimi

Correct, she is bringing items of personal nature to the USA so should have nothing to declare, so check No. Only if carrying a large sum of cash will the cash need to be declared.

Another thing, most airlines have an in flight magazine, like Hemispheres on United, in the back of that magazine are instructions in many languages on how to fill out the declaration form.

http://www.ink-live.com/contentFiles/image/issues/hemi-jul09.jpg

Yeah,she is CR1,so just need to fill out custom form......and she is just bringing personal belongings,no large sums of money,and i think she is bringing with her some tea which i like.thats about it.And I told her,the attendants can help her,as they will speak chinese.I think she will be fine.(I"m more worried about it,then she is )

Jimi

jimi,

Thanks,

this will help to calm her fears,i will be there to meet her when she is thru with immigrations,she will arrive in New York 2:40 pm. but i told her.....just follow the crowd getting off the plane,since everyone must go to the same place...immigrations.

Jimi

yes, follow the crowd and stay on the LEFT side of the pathway to customs, no way she will get lost.

one more important thing, due to airport security, all cell phones, cameras and video devices must be off until they are out of custom area or it will be taken away from you. it is posted on the walls.

on my last trip, a mainlander, who thinks he is a big shoot, did not obey the rule and had his cell phone taken away by the boarder police. he was yelling and screaming with his hands up in the air. the boarder police introduced his friends, smith and wesson and led to a room, true story and funny.

yes, follow the crowd and stay on the LEFT side of the pathway to customs, no way she will get lost.

one more important thing, due to airport security, all cell phones, cameras and video devices must be off until they are out of custom area or it will be taken away from you. it is posted on the walls.

on my last trip, a mainlander, who thinks he is a big shoot, did not obey the rule and had his cell phone taken away by the boarder police. he was yelling and screaming with his hands up in the air. the boarder police introduced his friends, Smith and Wesson and led to a room, true story and funny.

Awesome! People need to learn when they can and cannot use a cell phone, I guess that moron learned the hard way.

on my last trip, a mainlander, who thinks he is a big shoot, did not obey the rule and had his cell phone taken away by the boarder police. he was yelling and screaming with his hands up in the air. the boarder police introduced his friends, Smith and Wesson and led to a room, true story and funny.

Awesome! People need to learn when they can and cannot use a cell phone, I guess that moron learned the hard way.

anyone knows why no cell phones and recording devices can be turned on in the custom area of jfk? is this the same for all international arrival termial airport? i don't see it in china or hong kong's custom area, kinda puzzled me right now since i make 5 trips to china and seeing it on every return trip. :D

anyone knows why no cell phones and recording devices can be turned on in the custom area of jfk? is this the same for all international arrival termial airport? i don't see it in china or hong kong's custom area, kinda puzzled me right now since i make 5 trips to china and seeing it on every return trip. :D

Yes, it is that way at LAX, in the TBI Terminal, at the first (primary) Immigration Portal, prior to picking up the bags. There are large signs on the walls and on mobile posts, which speak to this.

It has to do with basic internal security wherein the bad guys may use 'spotters' and pass on information as to the staffing and movements of the officers, and/or use phones to take photos/videos of personnel performing their duties within the secure area.

You may notice it is the same when you go for Biometrics and also for the AOS interview....no phones and no cameras within the facility.

Once at the baggage pickup area, you can turn on your mobile phone, but good luck at LAX if your carrier is AT&T, the reception is nearly absent within the bagage area. Not sure how it is with other providers.