If I can't make it - affect outcome

yeah, the biggest issue is taking off work. If I go just for the interview I should take off at least 2 weeks. But the problem there is, when they get to the states I need time to set them (my wife and son) up and get them going (son to school. wife a car and license)... I can't just come back and let them sit in the house for a couple months. I'd like to go but I think it's going to be a much better benefit if I stay and then take off when they arrive.

Thanks all for the replies.

yeah, the biggest issue is taking off work. If I go just for the interview I should take off at least 2 weeks. But the problem there is, when they get to the states I need time to set them (my wife and son) up and get them going (son to school. wife a car and license)... I can't just come back and let them sit in the house for a couple months. I'd like to go but I think it's going to be a much better benefit if I stay and then take off when they arrive.

When my wife went to her interview I didn't go because I wanted to save the vacation time for a honeymoon, a decision I regret to this day. When she got to GZ she felt alone, scared and unsure of herself. VOs can smell fear. She was blue slipped because the VO didn't think we could communicate well enough. I ended up having to go to China to make a video of us communicating and using the vacation time anyway. You don't need to go for two weeks. You could go for just the interview, return a few days later and still have vacation time to help them get adjusted. Getting your wife a car and licence is going to take more than two weeks anyway since even if you are CR-1 you will need to wait for the green card to arrive first unless the DMV will accept the stamp in her passport. She will need time to study the manual and learn the differences in driving here and in China.

Every case is different but in my case my wife needed me to be there for her and I wasn't there.

My wife speaks very good English and was working as the personal assistant to the President of a English speaking foreign company so she had to make appointments, book flights, communicate with the US counterpart. Language will not be a problem in this case.

I just loath flying 15 hours one way, be a zombie for 2 days and sit on a plane for another 15 hours.

However, I do appreciate your reply as it gives me something else to consider.

When my wife went to her interview I didn't go because I wanted to save the vacation time for a honeymoon, a decision I regret to this day. When she got to GZ she felt alone, scared and unsure of herself. VOs can smell fear. She was blue slipped because the VO didn't think we could communicate well enough. I ended up having to go to China to make a video of us communicating and using the vacation time anyway. You don't need to go for two weeks. You could go for just the interview, return a few days later and still have vacation time to help them get adjusted. Getting your wife a car and licence is going to take more than two weeks anyway since even if you are CR-1 you will need to wait for the green card to arrive first unless the DMV will accept the stamp in her passport. She will need time to study the manual and learn the differences in driving here and in China.

Every case is different but in my case my wife needed me to be there for her and I wasn't there.

Ditto what Carl said for me except my then fiancee's interview ended up with a white slip. Had I been there, she probably would have felt more secure and passed.

• 4 weeks later...