Riots in Xinjiang

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

This is an interesting tidbit from the article:

"Han Chinese armed with iron bars and machetes roamed the capital city, Urumqi, on Tuesday seeking revenge on Uighurs."

It's understandable really that they would want revenge. Hard to undo what's already been done. This won't be going away anytime soon.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Han Chinese armed with iron bars and machetes roamed the capital city, Urumqi, on Tuesday seeking revenge on Uighurs."

It's understandable really that they would want revenge. Hard to undo what's already been done. This won't be going away anytime soon.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/0...break-out-china

Here's some video.

Here's some video.

I always find it interesting. That link suggested "sticks and shovels" while Don quoted iron bars and machetes. In the video I just saw a bunch of sticks/iron bars. I didn't see one machete. I didn't see one shovel. You get one Uighur gardening and suddenly the mob is armed with shovels, right?

Okay, I'm being a little facetious. I still don't trust the media to report anything accurately. It's been all about sensationalizing the stories for the past 20+ years...

And if I were Rebiya Kadeer, I'd just keep my mouth shut. Marching in DC makes me begin to believe to China's claim of outside separatists...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Here's some video.

I always find it interesting. That link suggested "sticks and shovels" while Don quoted iron bars and machetes. In the video I just saw a bunch of sticks/iron bars. I didn't see one machete. I didn't see one shovel. You get one Uighur gardening and suddenly the mob is armed with shovels, right?

Okay, I'm being a little facetious. I still don't trust the media to report anything accurately. It's been all about sensationalizing the stories for the past 20+ years...

And if I were Rebiya Kadeer, I'd just keep my mouth shut. Marching in DC makes me begin to believe to China's claim of outside separatists...

I noticed that also. I think China is right. The event was launched by groups from outside China (code for Hollywood) hell-bent on causing trouble. Now, they are whining that they got their asses kicked after they beat up and killed innocent people, threw rocks at police, burned buildings, and destroyed buses and cars.

I find it kind that the Han people are not using machetes but rather what looks like broomstick handles.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Whether there was a overt action by outsiders remains to be seen, but this Kadeer needs to shut up. She is making the case for the Chinese government that this is an outside job, whether it is or not.

Why is it that there is always somebody in America that thinks they have the "authority" to tell anyone(everyone) how to run their country. Geez!

When will these people learn to mind their own business!!!!!

I hope that the Chinese government get tough with these people..All of them...this kinda crap needs to stop and it won't stop until the consequences are so bad and so swift that you aren't going to have time to say...Oops!

Protest are one thing. Violent protests are something else.

none are immigrants. they are all Chinese . Chinese has many native ethnic(minority) groups, many more than than USA maybe, only native ethnic groups are American Indians all the rest of us are immigrants.

Ethnic groups in china have and do fight in past and now, but mostly life well together, Yunnan province is good example. Xinjiang is a province in china since Qin dynasty and fully since the chairman.

The separatists see themselves more as Muslim nation than Chinese , so its a culture thing.

the reason we see this now in these places is chinese big govt will not let Wushu police control early becauase western press will say govt to hard suppress freedom, western rather see dead innocent chinese on street and soft police response. Is this freedom i dont think so.

So i ask you what do you think Wushu police and govt should have done, let this happen so western think freedom of protest or should they have killed rioters, what if in your USA city against your chinese wifes and family in LA. Houton,NY etc ?

I think what you would have seen was police having to protect the rioters from the armed public, especially in the sowthwest and Texas. If these riots started from former Gitmo residence, they should never have been released.

Predicted backlash in PRC

The counter-riot----Han looking for vengeance after the blood bath against them.

The military and police, in an effort to be 'culturally sensitive' ----didn't protect Han citizens---AGAIN! (Tibetan riots of 3-08) For many in China, the West's (liberal press) treatment of China in the run-up to the Olympics is fresh in their minds.

For many citizens of China, its an example of the Gov. bending over backwards to placate the West on 'human rights' ---at the expense of the safety of Han citizens..

Theory being---OF COURSE the Han had to retaliate in Xinjiang---the police didn't protect the Han---and let down the basic function of public safety----

NYT and other liberal media will have a field day: "China's New Nationalism---A Threat To The West?"

I'm thinking that Hu just found the labor needed for that railroad expansion they have been working on. Got too much free time on your hands to riot and complain? Cool! Come with me...

From what we have seen, and of course what we have seen is what they want us to see, the police have been quite calm and rationale. Time for that crap to stop. Tell them once. Then end it.

or even China would only pass immigration laws like France than everything would be ok...... :whistling:

You're kidding right? The Uigars are not immigrants. The Han are the immigrants. That would be like me saying that the Native Americans are immigrants.

Yes it was a joke ... but they are part of China now and have been for some years ...

Guest ShaQuaNew

For several thousand years there has been an ebb and flow of Chinese (Han) culture throughout Xinjiang ----Han to the west, Uighurs to the east---as a part of the great Silk Road dynamic. Politically, its substantially more complicated than our: "Manifest Destiny"

Kim, I really wasn't familiar with the Uighur people until this story broke the other day. I noticed on the map that this region is located north of Tibet along the old silk road. How long have these people been in that area, and can you share some of their history if you're familiar?

--edit--

I did find this, which is helpful...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyghur_people

but was wondering whether you knew of anything else to share?

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Well. its a desolate and beautiful region----as I mentioned, my family Han, and party members) has been there several times---I personally haven't been farther west than than the eastern Tibetan plateau---but they have well documented their travels---and have a fondness for the Uighurs, not always returned----they try to shop locally and support genuine Uighur enterprises. they have been to all the areas where the unrest is now occurring. They believe, and there are many who do---that the best fruit in the world are grown in Xinjiang, by the Uighurs---cool nights and beastly heat during the day, with proper irrigation produces spectacular results---and that alone is one of the reasons they visit.

Uighurs themselves----although they are projecting---through their international connections---a united front----are not a pure movement by any means. There are two sects of Muslims in Xinjiang----the one who now describe them selves as " East Turkistan" are politically motivated---the other is not. There is no love between the two sects.

But even the early migration is muddled, and muddy. Some are Arabs, others are Persians----as one would expect from merchants coming to 'make their mark' on the Silk Road ---knowing full well, they were entering the sphere of China, if not exactly, downtown Beijing---but make no mistake---many, if not most, of these same merchants drove camel trains with Persian, and middle eastern goods directly through the city walls of Beijing---into the 19th. century.

They knew the score.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-07...ent_8393952.htm

English version of China Daily also carried the story about Hu returning from the G8 summit.

Also German and Dutch Chinese embassies have been protested by Xinjiang separatist supporters and also attacked by unkown groups.

Can see many articles about the issue at China Daily.

Seems we are going down the same path as Mar08 in Tibet.

However there have been, and quite violent, protests in the past by Musilms and other ethic minority groups in western countries. Seems the western media are no so into reporting this as with cases like this one in China. However I never see any of the lead protesters in those cases being nominated for Nobel Peace Prize.