USA citizenship

Guest jin979

For us, it was for retirement. When we move back to China, it is easier to return to the US with American passports than have to try and get a visa. We figure by the time we retire, the kids may be married and stay in the US. We'll just get Chinese green cards.

For us, it was for retirement. When we move back to China, it is easier to return to the US with American passports than have to try and get a visa. We figure by the time we retire, the kids may be married and stay in the US. We'll just get Chinese green cards.

Not easy to get Chinese green card at all.

American citizenship will get you more "benefits" worldwide than Chinese citizenship will. That may seem like a selfish reason to be an American citizen, but its the truth.

Also, you might want to read up on some of the fine print on insurance policies, inheritance laws, etc. Some government benefits are either reduced or denied for non-citizens. Some insurance companies do not have to pay life insurance to a non-citizen beneficiary, even if they are a LPR and living in the US.

The benefits of being a U.S. citizen are in the details...

I discovered that my life insurance policy would not pay Yan as a beneficiary. I had to get an addendum to it. I will have to send them my marriage book (translated) and setup a US soil based administrator to my estate that will provide "go-between" services. This required legal services. Once we are married and these documents are provided, there will not be an issue. She will contact my estate attorney and he will take it from there to get her the payout so she is taken care of.

If this is a requirement for anyone, I would highly suggest that you draw up all the papers you need to collect your insurance and make sure they are prepared in advance so that all she has to do is get the death certificate, have it translated and notarized, add it to this package, and drop it in the mail. Every insurance company may have different rules, so get it all in writing and get it all before you ever move to China. Having a stateside estate attorney will make things a lot smoother for her.

Edited by chengdu4me (see edit history)

Not easy to get Chinese green card at all.

Not as hard as you may think.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg, Mike. I looked into this quite extensively. Green Cards (D visa) are only approved in Beijing. It takes a long time. From the information I could gather, there aren't 100 people in all of China with a Green Card.

While the "official" requirements are those that are posted, the reality of it is that it will take 100's of millions of dollars of investment benefiting Chinese employment along with family ties and a partnership that is setup to negate any chances of you pulling your investment out.

The Chinese lawyer that gave me this information told me..."MAYBE Bill Gates could get one if he moved all of Microsoft to China"

Thats just the tip of the iceberg, Mike. I looked into this quite extensively. Green Cards (D visa) are only approved in Beijing. It takes a long time. From the information I could gather, there aren't 100 people in all of China with a Green Card.

I read an article that A Chinese Nobel laureate got his Chinese green card after a lot of fanfare. Another lady donated over $220,000 to help many orphans with schooling also received her green card.

I read an article that A Chinese Nobel laureate got his Chinese green card after a lot of fanfare. Another lady donated over $220,000 to help many orphans with schooling also received her green card.

I don't doubt it. My point was that the "real" rules are a lot more subjective than the "official" rules, so thinking that by looking down that list and saying to yourself...yea, thats me!...is a pipe dream. "Officially", the D visa is not revocable...how true do you think that really is?

Chinese Green Card

This is good reading on getting a Chinese Green Card.

In order to qualify for Green Card holder status, you must fulfill at least one of the following criteria:

I. Be a high-level foreign expert holding a post which promotes China's economic, scientific and technological development, or social progress.

II. Have made outstanding contributions of special importance to China

III. Have made a large direct investment of over US$ 500,000 in China

IV. Have come to China to be with your family, such as spouse, dependent minors or senior citizens.

Which one will you apply under .. I, II, or III? I ask because it is quite easy (if your wife knows someone on the govt) to get a 1-yr renewable residence permit because you are the spouse of a chinese citizen. However it is still quite difficult to get the Green card. If your wife gives up her Chinese citizenship than you no longer qualify under item IV.

It is harder than you think unless you have contacts within the government and plan to spend some serious cash.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Chinese Green Card

This is good reading on getting a Chinese Green Card.

In order to qualify for Green Card holder status, you must fulfill at least one of the following criteria:

I. Be a high-level foreign expert holding a post which promotes China's economic, scientific and technological development, or social progress.

II. Have made outstanding contributions of special importance to China

III. Have made a large direct investment of over US$ 500,000 in China

IV. Have come to China to be with your family, such as spouse, dependent minors or senior citizens.

Which one will you apply under .. I, II, or III? I ask because it is quite easy (if your wife knows someone on the govt) to get a 1-yr renewable residence permit because you are the spouse of a chinese citizen. However it is still quite difficult to get the Green card. If your wife gives up her Chinese citizenship than you no longer qualify under item IV.

It is harder than you think unless you have contacts within the government and plan to spend some serious cash.

Right. It's not hard to get the Chinese green card for a professional working in China, or for someone married to a Chinese citizen. I'm in the process of renewing my residency and work permit right now, and briefly thought about getting the green card. Didn't really see much advantage at getting one at this point. Perhaps if we decided to stay here for a long while, or retire here we may consider it.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

One thing people often overlook about returning to China to live with their wife as a Chinese citizen and USGC holder is that if there is ever any police/court/legal problems she is enmeshed in she is still a Chinese citizen...end of story... :lightning: