I see on best buy that they have an upgrade to windows 7 for $49.99. I've hated Vista since the day I got it on my laptop. Lately I've been having some problems with it crashing so I'm thinking of upgrading to windows 7.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I see on best buy that they have an upgrade to windows 7 for $49.99. I've hated Vista since the day I got it on my laptop. Lately I've been having some problems with it crashing so I'm thinking of upgrading to windows 7.

I haven't tried it, but have heard some good things. I'm always reluctant to try new versions until they've been out there a while; at least long enough for them to work out the kinks and provide updates and patches the BETA and early release crowd discovers.

If your Windows is crashing, then it might be due to other problems not related to the operating system. Have you performed a complete system scan for ad-ware, malware and viruses? It's a good first step. Also, Windows is historically unstable the longer it runs. Many professionals periodically backup their important files, and then, reformat the hard-drive and reinstall Windows. That provides a good clean slate, but it's a pain in the ass to do.

Be sure to check the Windows Web site for updates and troubleshooting information. They continue to have one of the best system support networks available:

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732

Additionally, pay attention to what you're doing when the system crashes. Are you running any kind of gaming software or other application? Windows Vista has a compatibility mode that you can use to run older games and applications. You can choose the Windows operating system that the system was designed to run, for example: Windows XP, ME, 98, and so on.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...atibility-mode/

Also have a look at these:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929427

About Windows 7

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=106237

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=958

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev/ar...e-Windows-7.htm

http://news.cnet.com/windows-7-beta-first-impressions/

http://www.businessinsider.com/2009/1/wind...ster-vista-msft

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

I have it running on our house desktop pc.

It is far better than vista (imo) and as stable as xp.

It is free for download from Microsoft, so dont pay 50$. In fact I wonder what best buy is selling because I dont think it ships until next year?

If your running vista, I'd go to windows 7.

If your happy with xp, I'd suggest staying with xp until windows 7 actually ships, and maybe has a service pack out.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I have it running on our house desktop pc.

It is far better than vista (imo) and as stable as xp.

It is free for download from Microsoft, so dont pay 50$. In fact I wonder what best buy is selling because I dont think it ships until next year?

If your running vista, I'd go to windows 7.

If your happy with xp, I'd suggest staying with xp until windows 7 actually ships, and maybe has a service pack out.

The free version is the Beta version. For testing only. It won't be supported with updates once the product ships. You'll have to pay later for it. But, it gives you a chance to try it out.

I think Best Buy is offering support and has a deal with Microsoft for testing purposes.

http://gizmodo.com/5280311/best-buy-window...o-free-upgrades

http://www.appscout.com/2009/06/memo_best_...ws_7_tech_g.php

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Best Buy is offering Windows 7 at a discounted price for those who wish to pre-order. They are in a select group of retailers approved by Microsoft for pre-release sales. Windows 7 is scheduled to ship October 22, 2009.

I ran Windows 7 Beta on both my home computers until June 1. Now I am running Windows 7 Release Candidate. Both version are free, but have a shelf life. So why not pre-order since they are offering 1/2 price.

Windows 7 has been very stable. I have been able to run programs I can not get Vista to run. The compatibility mode for running older programs actually works. I have only needed this mode for one program, K9 parental control on Garrett's computer.

It is a well known fact that Windows Vista free of viruses and spyware will crash for no apparent reason. Vista is also incompatible with many programs out there. Vista has a long list of document problems which can not be resolved with the work arounds Microsoft themselves recommend. My professional recommendation has always been to stay away from Windows Vista at any cost. Windows 7 is quite a different story. After running both Windows 7 Beta and RC, I highly recommend this OS.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Windows 7 is a version of Vista that cleared alpha testing. :P

I have to replace the MONSTER computer (hot quad core-4 gigs ram-super fast HDs) I bought last year because it was intended for Vista. The machine couldn't run Vista so I downgraded to XP. While it runs XP many of the computer components do not have XP drivers. I've been able to get some of those pieces to run with chip-specific drivers that run with XP, but that creates its own problems.

Long story short, I'm buying an 8 core MACPro with 32gb ram and using VMware during the software transition. I am buying my daughter a MACbook for university and will eventually buy mom a MAC too.

I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever buy another Microsoft OS even though I wouldn't be employed were it not for Microsoft. :D

Try this setup and Vista will work like a charm.

I have NEVER!! had a problem with vista and all programs run fine.

CASE NZXT|LEXA BLACKLINE BK RT

MB ABIT IP35 Pro 775 bios 14

CPU INTEL|C2Q Q6600 2.40G 775

LIQD SWIFTECH|H20-220-APEX-GT RT

VGA EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 8800GTS 512

2=seagate beracuda HD 250G|ST 7K 16M SATA2

Running Raid-0

PSU ABS|BZ700 700W RTL

MEM 2Gx4|GSK F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ R

CASE MOD|COLD CATHODE KIT CLK15BL

5LED LAZER LIGHT |LOGISYS MDLED5RGB

CASE LIGHT LOGISYS|CLK12UV2 OEM

Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

How long has Microsoft been in business, how many billions have they made? And still they have not got it right, do you think Version 7 will be any better? Go with Apple OS, and Mozilla for a browser.

I have NEVER!! had a problem with vista and all programs run fine.

You are truly unique. :rolleyes:

Yes, Maybe?

But store bought computer always have extra crap installed to bog down your system.

This is why i always build my own systems.

Win7 works pretty well on my peecee. Then again, I only use the peecee for a few things that I can't do with my Macs anymore. :rolleyes:

The discounted versions of Win7 are the upgrade versions, and not the full versions. I would rather have the full version myself.

if you run Vista or Seven, the gov't can trigger a "phone home" check

hidden kernals that are imbedded in these 2 OS's by gov't mandate as part of the settlement agreement that kept MS from being split into dozens of companies.

I do not like spyware and would never use these 2 systems

Guest ShaQuaNew

hidden kernals that are imbedded in these 2 OS's by gov't mandate as part of the settlement agreement that kept MS from being split into dozens of companies.

Nobody likes spyware. That's why it's important to run a reliable Virus protection application with personal firewall. If you have a firewall, you can customize it to prevent any unwanted communication, and even further stipulate which ports to allow.

I'd like to see your source regarding hidden embedded code within the Windows Vista or Windows 7 Operating Systems.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Nobody likes spyware. That's why it's important to run a reliable Virus protection application with personal firewall. If you have a firewall, you can customize it to prevent any unwanted communication, and even further stipulate which ports to allow.

I'd like to see your source regarding hidden embedded code within the Windows Vista or Windows 7 Operating Systems.

Me too.

Because Windows is the most used (by far) of all Operating Systems in the world, which includes business and home, there is a great deal of scrutiny given to security problems. It's not only the staff at Microsoft, but users around the world who are watching for security threats. That's why MS sends regular updates to overcome any new threat. Of one thing you can be sure; if there were a security threat embedded in the Windows system code, everyone, everywhere would be talking about it. It would in fact be FRONT PAGE news.

Ok! I was going to let this one go But!

I think not!! I know for a fact this is not true!!!

Where do ya get this info?? and how do ya know this? Do you work for Microsoft or the Government?

I have been running Vista ultimate from day one, With no problems!

I have been/Was! one of the best computer hackers around in the U.S.

In fact we even have competitions on how to hack!!

every year!

The idea that Microsoft can trigger a "phone home" check? I think NOT!

Please!! give me a brake! Read you book again.

Microsoft is installed in millions of system around the world in every country and you think some hacker has not figured that out yet? ;)

Please!! ;) if ya think this is true, Turn off you computer.