Asian Driver

Ovahimba

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

i just drive the same here as i did in china, except stop at red lights :)

Which also means that you must drive extremely fast in parking lots and residential communities making sure you do not allow a pedestrian the right-of-way.

:blink:

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest jin979

i just drive the same here as i did in china, except stop at red lights :blink:

Which also means that you must drive extremely fast in parking lots and residential communities making sure you do not allow a pedestrian the right-of-way.

:P

pedestrians in USA, where :)

Guest ShaQuaNew

i just drive the same here as i did in china, except stop at red lights :P

pedestrians in USA, where :unsure:

You have to look carefully, but you can usually find a few dashing in and out of their therapist's or lawyers office, or standing in an unemployment line.

You have to look carefully, but you can usually find a few dashing in and out of their therapist's or lawyers office, or standing in an unemployment line.

Posted from personal experience, we're all sure. :P

Especially the unemployment line part. :P

Guest ShaQuaNew

Posted from personal experience, we're all sure. :P

Especially the unemployment line part. :P

Naw, not me. I left before I became a victim of all that stuff.

Well, there went 400 bucks.

Would you spend 400 bucks on a private 'defensible driver', hands on at a track, driving course?

I don't mean 'defensive driving' - Defensible Driving is almost considered 'offensive driving', but with some safety concepts ...

It's not the same classes a body guard takes, by any means, but many of the concepts are the same.

Would she be interested in going to such a class? She might have some fun, learning to take low speed hair-trigger corners without hitting another car (which is useful for avoiding wrecks, IMO).

A day of FUN , yes?

Are you fair dinkum?

After many cab rides in Jilin, Shenyang, Dalian, Chanchung, and

Beijing all I can say is yield!!!! Blaring horns, a crazy mix of mopeds,

buses, cabs, bicycles, pedistrians, carts, trucks, and more.

A very lethal mix, I was glad to arrive safely!

but do any of those cities boast major intersections of multi-lane roads with no traffic lights or other indicators? those don't seem too dangerous when navigating one's way through heavy traffic during the day, but when zooming through one at nighttime it sure did make my a$$ pucker. :rolleyes:

In fairness, we all have learned something from Chinese road etiquette as well I think, for instance, I didn't know how to 'brush back' pedestrians until my first trip to China...

Carl is right, his wife is a great driver, and thankfully, helped mine enormously. Unlike Don, I gave up teaching---just couldn't take it. Even in an empty parking lot---had nightmares evry night. The next step was hiring the locally recommended Chinese driving instructor. After the first session: Me: "howed it go" Fei: "OK, I guess, he steered for me on the freeway." (no lie!) Talk about personal service, but alas, had to cancel the rest of the sessions....

Third time (driving test) wasn't the charm, but #4 was... Fei recently admitted to me that on her first test she got a vry mean DMV tester. There is a vacant lot next to the DMV building, Fei managed to pull out next to the lot, when the tester said: "STOP THE CAR!! You're done."

Three years later, shes ok now, I think. But yeah, I still worry some every time she starts the engine...

I must say I'm here right now. I beleive our first argument were because I lost patience and she cried. She said she didn't want me to teach her ever again... well ab out six months later. she does drive more, but she is very nervous. She is getting better. I'm usually very nervous also.

I finally got her to drive to work on Sunday morning, really light traffic, about 18 miles away....she was 90% of the way, she pulled off and said I would drive the rest of the way because she was too nervous.... so was I but, she was doing fine... She got out of the car and came to my side of the car. I rolled up my window and locked my door. She sat down on the curb and said she wouldn't drive anymore. She wasn't upset or anything, I hadn't aid anything to prompt this, but I refused to let her give up 2 miles away. Finally after 2-3 minutes she got back in and drove the rest of the way. Yesterday she drove again in rush hour traffic, she did fine for the most part.

I don't know if I will have the guts to go on the highway.

If I had advice, have lots and lots of patience and understanding. IT will take time, hopefully my wife will be ready to take the test in a month or so. I plan to insist she drive more and more places.

Your statement is indeed stereotypical. Not all asian drivers are the same.

I think it all boils down driving experience. My wife came here 3 years ago, with zero prior driving experience. Now that she has had her license for 6 months, she still drives with me sitting next to her and giving her hints/instructions. I can see she is making progress and becoming more experienced on the road. We had a lot of fight, of course, during her learning lessons. But we are both aware of the deadly consequence of a crash, which happens every day in my crazy state.

When I was teaching Jen to drive, I asked her if she knows why so many Americans don't like Asian drivers. I said because they drift from lane to lane with no signal, and they drive way to slow.

Later that night, we got behind a vehicle doing 45 in a 65 zone on the freeway, Jen asked if the person was drinking beer, as we passed the car I told her, "No, she was Chinese." Jen was laughing so hard, she almost had to pull over and stop.

THe biggest fight we had was when I would not just teach her exactly what was on the test, and about paying attention out the front window.