Airport Immigration Line

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are now back to America. We'll get to Chicago on the 26th of the month. I know that my wife needs to go through immigration. What possible questions could they ask her? She has her visa stamp in her passport.

All I can think is "What is the address of where we will be staying in Chicago?"

Anyone care to share your experience upon entry to the states?

Thanks ,

Curtlives

Hi Folks,

Excuse me I found some mistakes in my English. I have been in China too long. :o.

My wife and I are now going back to America. We'll get to Chicago on the 26th of the month. I know that my wife needs to go through immigration line. I don't believe they will let me stand with her. What possible questions could they ask her? She has her visa stamp in her passport.

All I can think is "What is the address of where we will be staying in Chicago?"

Anyone care to share your experience upon entry to the states?

Thanks ,

Curtlives

Hi curtlives,

I have been through Minneapolis Minnesota and the lines were long, but you can go through with her.

When Ling and the boys came to the US, we went through LAX and it was a breeze...except for one thing.

We didn't fill out all the forms that were requested so we were sent back to a table to fill out some more forms.

So we got in line, when we got to the Immigration officer, he said that we didn't fill out all the forms needed, so we lost our place in line, and went back to fill out more forms, and than had to get back at end of line.

The Immigration officer doesn't ask that many questions and takes the envelope that GUZ prepared and sends you on your way.

At LAX you pick up your bags after seeing the Immigration officer,

But it was a breeze,,maybe someone who has gone through Chicago can chime in, but I would expect that they are all the same.

Tom and Ling

Last month, when going through a POE in CA, I just went to the visitor line with my hus. He was asked about his valid K-3 related questions. (questions might not be in order as i 4got already)

1) how long we waited for this visa?

2) what is our relationship, before and now?

3) what do we do for living in US?

4) why did we travel out of US? (though we just took a cruise and never left US ground except the ship sailed across the international boudary)

5) what are we bringing back to US

6) when will we file for AOS and why waited this long?

7) what happened to our CR-1 route?

One funny thing is that for question #2, my hus said we were husband and wife in China, and now we are still husband and wife in US. So the officer said, "I know, I am asking before you two got married..." My hus said, "before that we weren't husband and wife then..." I thought what kind of answer is the officer looking for? Of course, before marriage, everyone would be just friends for awhile as the couple get to know each other first, right? Funny to me...

One funny thing is that for question #2, my hus said we were husband and wife in China, and now we are still husband and wife in US. So the officer said, "I know, I am asking before you two got married..." My hus said, "before that we weren't husband and wife then..." I thought what kind of answer is the officer looking for? Of course, before marriage, everyone would be just friends for awhile as the couple get to know each other first, right? Funny to me...

It's a hard thing, really, training up those immigration folk for POE / CBP duty. I know, I know - there's a manual they have to read, there's training they must attend, there are practice workshops that are mandatory..

But... if the ImmFo can't sling English well, or have severe memory loss, what's the point to have this job ???

Meanwhile back in Chicago...

Did Bob come through Chicago for 'The POE' - or was it lax ? I can't remember... I do remember him doing a longish write up about it..

Chicago was our POE. It is very easy. You can go through the immigration line with your lady. Just gave them the packet from GUZ and scanned her fingerprints I believe and that was it (other than the forms you need to fill out that Tom mentions above. The airline gives you these forms and you can ask the stewardess on the flight if you have any questions).

Its truly a breeze. No need to worry about it at all.

Hi curtlives,

I have been through Minneapolis Minnesota and the lines were long, but you can go through with her.

When Ling and the boys came to the US, we went through LAX and it was a breeze...except for one thing.

We didn't fill out all the forms that were requested so we were sent back to a table to fill out some more forms.

So we got in line, when we got to the Immigration officer, he said that we didn't fill out all the forms needed, so we lost our place in line, and went back to fill out more forms, and than had to get back at end of line.

The Immigration officer doesn't ask that many questions and takes the envelope that GUZ prepared and sends you on your way.

But it was a breeze,,maybe someone who has gone through Chicago can chime in, but I would expect that they are all the same.

Tom and Ling

awesome to hear about the ease of LAX

Hi curtlives,

Tom and Ling

awesome to hear about the ease of LAX

Yes, that was my experience and that of my wife and daughter too.

Very friendly, very helpful, and this was at more than just one window, as we were initially misdirected by a well intending non-US Customs security guard. A USCIS supervisor personally walked us to the correct line, and introduced us to the officer in the K-3 line, explained to him we had been given some bad info, and to help us out.

The Hispanic officer who processed us, was very polite and very low-key.

Every encounter we have had as a family, at GUZ, at the POE, and most recently at AOS, has been a very pleasant experience. :)

Yizhen and I just entered on June 8th, IR-1. We got in the immigrant line, and we were ushered to one of the empty US citizen lines. They scan the passports and take a photo of the immigrant. Then an officer takes you to the office where they open the file. There were about ten people waiting, so we were sent to a short line, but we had to get our baggage first. It took longer to get the bags than to get the finger prints. After being welcomed, we had to pass our bags through the x-ray machines at customs, and then we were free. Maybe 30/40 min, much easier than Newark in 2007, we were together the whole time.

In Newark, the took her into a room, for almost an hour, many immigrants and few officers. We still made the connecting flight with no problems.

If you will be calling someone to pick you up at O'hare, call as soon as you leave the plane. Immigration and customs are down 3 floors under the arrivals, and there is no cell phone signal until after you have passed through customs. Good Luck, Mike & Yizhen

If you any questions, PM me, Mike

Yizhen and I just entered on June 8th, IR-1. We got in the immigrant

If you will be calling someone to pick you up at O'hare, call as soon as you leave the plane. Immigration and customs are down 3 floors under the arrivals, and there is no cell phone signal until after you have passed through customs. Good Luck, Mike & Yizhen

If you any questions, PM me, Mike

Mike do you mean that at O'hare immigration and customs area is on a different floor level than the US citizen line?

curtlives

Curt, immigration and customs are all on the same level....came through with rong last december....was a piece of cake....don't worry about anything....you will both go through immigration together and then get your luggage on the same level just after passing through immigration and then go through customs which for us was also a breeze and then you just pass through the doors which come out on the lower level international arrivals....really, a piece of cake and while i can't speak for all officers, ours was very nice and friendly and asked only a very few simple questions....good luck and welcome back!