One Country, Two (Time) Systems

What a pain in the butt. Now that I'm back to a 13 hour difference in time with Jingwen, we have to keep double checking whose time we're referring to. When we were on DST, a 12 hour difference was simple to keep track of. Living in the eastern time zone sure made it easy.

It is true, is is not, that China has one time zone for the entire country.

What a pain in the butt.  Now that I'm back to a 13 hour difference in time with Jingwen, we have to keep double checking whose time we're referring to.  When we were on DST, a 12 hour difference was simple to keep track of.  Living in the eastern time zone sure made it easy.

It is true, is is not, that China has one time zone for the entire country.

Frank, an easy solution would be to move 1 time zone east to get back on the 12 hour differential. :o

Move 1 time zone to the EAST???? What are you trying to do, drown him?

There is an Atlantic Ocean somewhere out there. If he gets in his pickup and starts driving...... He may start sinking before he reaches the next time zone!!!!

:o

Wow, China only has one timzone. It must simplify many things. I think the US has six, although I loose count:

. . Hawaii

. . Alaska

. . Pacific

. . Mountain

. . Central

. . Eastern

I've heard that Russia even has 9 time zones. The first time I was in Russia, I met some older men who had gone hunting in Eastern Russia. They were from Washington State. It would have been a "short" plane trip back to the USA. But, instead, they had to fly westward, 3/4 the way around the world through Moscow, then to the East Coast USA, and finally back to the west coast USA.

:P

I have heard that the extra hour is so that school kids didn't have to walk to school or wait for the bus in the dark in the mornings. Of course, being a "night owl", I would be much happier if they changed the time the other way to give me an extra hour of daylight at night!!!

B:

----- CK -----

What ever the reason I wish they would pick one and stick with it. I have read that when they switch to DST that monday is one of the highest accident rate days of the year. The USA spans 5 time zones if you count Alaska and Hawaii. China only uses one time zone although the country spans six.

HI all. I read somewhere that it was first started during WW1, then again during WWII, to save energy by providing more light later into the evening hours in the summer....I think it was finally made permanent during the oil crisis in the early 70's....

dave

Just so happens I heard this morning we save 1% of our energy resources by using DST. Since JM loves pinching RMB, I think she'll understand that and actually embrace it.

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sehrgrosse/large-smiley-057.gif

What ever the reason I wish they would pick one and stick with it.  I have read that when they switch to DST that monday is one of the highest accident rate days of the year.  The USA spans 5 time zones if you count Alaska and Hawaii.  China only uses one time zone although the country spans six.

I heard it originated because of the railway system.. people could cover long distances over a short period of time.. eventually, they noticed that if they left in the morning going East, it was still morning when they arrived :).. Here's a link..

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/time...nes-history.htm

I did not take the time right now to click on the link but the thing about the train ride would not work seeing as how the trains were not going anywhere near fast enough for this kind of effect. I mean the rotation of the earth is approximately 1000 MPH at the equator and these old trains were going maybe 60-80. :huh: Also if they were going East then it would be getting later in that direction. :)

I always wanted to take the Concorde and fly London to New York and get there before I left!

China is so big, six time zones! All into one? The clock time would have very little relationship with the sun time in many locations. That must feel strange.

Anyway, Bobby, good luck with your case.