I arrived in Guz last night, I will tell anyone coming here the Swine Flu is a major issue over here. I landed in Japan as a layover, we had to stay on the plane till medical people walked through the plane looking for sick people. Whne I got to Guz, the samething I saw 6 people out of about 80, were quarantined. If you are quarantined it is for 10 days.

They take each passengers temp and you just pray you don't have one. I was told if you are from america and fly into HongKong you will be quarantined for 24 hrs.

So be prepared for the delays, more paper work and more stress.

I will right about our interview which id two days apart.

Thanks everyone for all the help and understanding

John and Siyi

so what is a normal temperature? from their standards?

Siyi, says it is like 24 - 28 c, it is cloudy here today, We had to go to the other side of the city and I can see now the taxi drivers are like the ones in our big cities. The one who took us charged us 16 rmb, took much longer and the way back only 10 rmb from other driver...go figure, they must think stupid American...lol

We are staying at the Jianguo Hotel, it is a 5 star hotel, but I thought the pricing was very good. We are suppose to be right next to Embasyy, we will be ing walking there very shorthly to check it out. I found it on Agoda.com. after our walk I will let you know how close.

It is a big city for sure, I usually go to Guilin and I enjoy the smaller city.

Thanks,

John and siyi

so what is a normal temperature? from their standards?

37c. It's passable...

Had the same routine in Shanghai when I came in 2 weeks ago. Luckily our whole plane passed. I was pretty nervous about the whole thing.

You need to fill out a form regarding your whereabouts the next 7 days and where you have been, how you feel... You will be scanned by the inspection team and if everyone within 3 rows of you is OK you can go. If anyone within 3 rows of you (or in any UD row if you are in the upper deck of a 747) has a fever , you are quarantined for 7+ days. If someone comes down with a fever later on your plane, they may track you down too.

The processing has gotten pretty efficient. I heard a rumor that they will stop doing this in Japan next week. China is still pretty paranoid about it at all because they have been very successful in catching it coming in and keeping it contained. One guy was on a train and they tracked down almost everyone on the same train car as him and sent them in for medical checks...

I did an intra-china flight Shanghai-Beijing and back and there was no screening at all, its just on inbound international flights.

I flew into Hong Kong on the night of the 29th and the swine flu precautions there were no big deal - we just filled out a questionaire on the plane and then turned it in upon arrival. They never took our temperature or anything - easy immigration/customs procedure.

I took the train from HK into GUZ yesterday and the swine flu precautions upon arrival at the train station in GUZ were much more strigent. They took my temperature while on the train and then again upon arrival in GUZ. I also got questioned by medical staff in GUZ for about 15 or 20 minutes before they let me through immigration - they wanted to know exactly were I had been for the past 7 days and how long in each place. Then I got picked for additional immigration screening and had to send my bags through 3 different xray machines.

My fiancee had her medical exam today and it was a fairly pain free affair - we were probably there no more than 3 hours total and we were able to receive the results before we left. Tonight we are going to sort our paperwork into a system in which my fiancee will be comfortable with and one in which she can easily access everything and then tomorrow I will attend both ACS and ACH. Tuesday is the big day for us.

Edited by Eric (see edit history)

I flew into Hong Kong on the night of the 29th and the swine flu precautions there were no big deal - we just filled out a questionaire on the plane and then turned it in upon arrival. They never took our temperature or anything - easy immigration/customs procedure.

I took the train from HK into GUZ yesterday and the swine flu precautions upon arrival at the train station in GUZ were much more strigent. They took my temperature while on the train and then again upon arrival in GUZ. I also got questioned by medical staff in GUZ for about 15 or 20 minutes before they ket me through immigration - they wanted to know exactly were I had been for the past 7 days and how long in each place. Then I got picked for additional immigration screening and had to send my bags through 3 different xray machines.

My fiancee had her medical exam today and it was a fairly pain free affair - we were probably there no more than 3 hours total and we were able to receive the results before we left. Tonight we are going to sort our paperwork into a system in which my fiancee will be comfortable with and one in which she can easily access everything and then tomorrow I will attend both ACS and ACH. Tuesday is the big day for us.

I wish you good luck, ours is in the morning and the stress and thought of it all is not so easy to deal with. It is sad that one single person determines your future.

Tonight will be a long night.... I will post as soon as we find out, I know for me everyones feed back on the process sure can help.

I hope it showers pink for us all.

John and Siyi

what does the hotel cost?

Good luck with the interview!

give us ALL the details!!

I choose to stay at the Jianguo Hotel, which is 4 buildings away from interview. I believe I paid 136.00/night plus tax. It is a 5 star hotel, but I think the five star part is over rated. Don't get me wrong it is very nice and very clean, beds are hard as rocks but you can't sleep waiting for this day anyways.

We are just about ready to walk over and line up with the rest of the poor souls waiting for this day. It has been a long weekend, many thoughts and you really don't know if you should be excited or how to feel. In a few hours we should know our fate.

I have lived many years and seen many things but this is a trying time, for sure.

I will post what happens in a few hours, thanks for everyones thoughts and support.

John and Siyi

what does the hotel cost?

Good luck with the interview!

give us ALL the details!!

I choose to stay at the Jianguo Hotel, which is 4 buildings away from interview. I believe I paid 136.00/night plus tax. It is a 5 star hotel, but I think the five star part is over rated. Don't get me wrong it is very nice and very clean, beds are hard as rocks but you can't sleep waiting for this day anyways.

We are just about ready to walk over and line up with the rest of the poor souls waiting for this day. It has been a long weekend, many thoughts and you really don't know if you should be excited or how to feel. In a few hours we should know our fate.

I have lived many years and seen many things but this is a trying time, for sure.

I will post what happens in a few hours, thanks for everyones thoughts and support.

John and Siyi

wishing much luck and keep the pink river flowing for the rest of us!!!

They use scanners now for taking temps, most people do not even realize they are having temps taken. I was talking to the customs guy in Beijing last time through and he was letting me watch the screen with him. Its pretty neat, its a temp sensitive camera and they can see your body temp as you walk by them.