Registering with local authorities

Guest Pommey

The simplest answer is to follow the law. We are guests in their country. We expect guests in our country to follow our laws, don't we?

umm... do we really ?

guess the millions of illegals living here and having familes for years and all the tourists/students @ business folks that come here then marry and AOS, missed your point . :D

Edited by Pommey (see edit history)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simplest answer is to follow the law. We are guests in their country. We expect guests in our country to follow our laws, don't we?

umm... do we really ?

guess the millions of illegals living here and having familes for years and all the tourists/students @ business folks that come here then marry and AOS, missed your point . :P

See Websters Dictionary....Look up the word guest and then look up the word intruder

Notice any differences? :P

Anyone that comes here on a tourist/student/business visa is a guest. We made the rules and they are just using them to their advantage. But, they followed the rules as they were laid out to them.

My point was that anytime you are a guest in someone else's home or country, it is best and most polite to follow the rules...of course, that assumes that you are not a hypocrite and that you would like to be considered a respectable guest. But, I think you understood my point just fine...

Just wanted to post my 2 cents worth from Nancun, Panyu in Southern Guangzhou. My wife and I run a shop serving Pizza and selling imports. Some of our foreign customers had mentioned that the Police had been stopping them to check for the registration papers. I was due to re-register as my residence permit had just been renewed a few days earlier. We asked the Police woman about the noticed increase of checks. She said it was part of the crack down leading up to the 60 year celebration of the government and they were actively checking foreigners for the proper papers.

She said here in Nancun they will take you down and make you register right then if you aren't already registered. However, she said in the downtown region they will fine you and blacklist you in the system which makes it difficult to get a new visa.

My advise to those that say they have never been checked, remember the police here operate on a policy of "One eye open and one eye shut". Right now the open eye is in control!!! Just wanted to pass this along.

Just wanted to post my 2 cents worth from Nancun, Panyu in Southern Guangzhou. My wife and I run a shop serving Pizza and selling imports. Some of our foreign customers had mentioned that the Police had been stopping them to check for the registration papers. I was due to re-register as my residence permit had just been renewed a few days earlier. We asked the Police woman about the noticed increase of checks. She said it was part of the crack down leading up to the 60 year celebration of the government and they were actively checking foreigners for the proper papers.

She said here in Nancun they will take you down and make you register right then if you aren't already registered. However, she said in the downtown region they will fine you and blacklist you in the system which makes it difficult to get a new visa.

My advise to those that say they have never been checked, remember the police here operate on a policy of "One eye open and one eye shut". Right now the open eye is in control!!! Just wanted to pass this along.

Thanks LE. It's nice to get good boots-on-the-ground info. When I head back I don't think I'll take a chance on making that blacklist. :P

Yep, never registered in the three visits to China, I have stayed in hotels each time though.

I have been to China 4 times now, and my 5 is this summer. I have never registered in any of my trips unless I stayed at a hotel. The hotels always took my passport, so I guess they registered me. But when I lived at my fiancees home for about 6 months, I never registered. Never even knew I had to and never had a problem. Guess now that I know your suppose to do it, maybe Ill try this time for the hell of it.

i never registered when i stayed with my wife in her apartment in chongqing,the police there never bothered with me.

Now,When I visited Russia,i never registered there either,but one time i did get asked for my passport and "registration"form....i did not have.a registration form..but i was told to immediately get one !!!!!! which i did,was a bit scary.....the Russian police officer was dead serious"get one now !!!,so maybe different in China,however,i hear it is pretty easy to do,and painless,i guess its always best to be safe than sorry.

Jimi

On my first trip to China, I registered in Anshan (this was required as part of our contract with Angang Steel), even though I'm sure this was done through the hotel. I basically went to some government office (where many Chinese were in line), filled out a form and they took a photo of me. I remember this specifically because this was the first time I saw the "chinese skipping you in line" thing.

very much depends on which province/city you are going to

The enforcement very much depends on where you are at and what special events may be going on at that time.

However it is a national requirement (and has been for some time) for all foreigners to register with the PSB.

http://www.china-briefing.com/news/2008/06...violations.html

Better safe than sorry.

Guest jin979

The enforcement very much depends on where you are at and what special events may be going on at that time.

However it is a national requirement (and has been for some time) for all foreigners to register with the PSB.

Better safe than sorry.

i think you really dont know chinese police in many places. they could not care about this at all

but if it makes you feel better do it

Edited by jin979 (see edit history)

Things are Changing again - so regardless of your past experience - if you go to Guangzhou - you need to register - see http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=493199 for a current report.

Better safe than sorry.

i think you really dont know chinese police in many places. they could not care about this at all

It may be that this isn't strictly enforced, but something about not tempting fate comes to mind here. Even if an area doesn't enforce it as a matter of policy, all it would take is one police officer with an agenda to ruin your trip. And he'd be fully within the law in doing so, and as a foreigner you probably would have little/no recourse.

Seems to me the potential consequences of not registering outweigh the small hassle of registering, even if the chances of something bad happening are pretty small.

In my case most of my time in China I've been here on business, so it's generally been a non-issue, as the hotel has done the registration for me.

Better safe than sorry.

I am too stupid to read the PSB's minds so unless you can tell me which places do enforce it and which do not I guess I will just follow your country's law....