Registering with local authorities

all my trips to china i never registered , my , now wife always take my passport and keep it at her house untill time to return home, was never ask to show it by anyone except at hotel, when i gave them my credit card at check in

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry492146

from..... What Would a Reasonable Person Do?, NOID's, NOIR's, Refusals, Returns & Revocations

Evidence Pro: (a) 4 trips and 4 months spent together in 3 years. (:P

Plane, train & boat tickets showing travels together. © registration

with local authorities on each stay,

When it comes to proving a bona fide relationship, you need to prove that relationship to the satisfaction of US authorities. This evidence takes the form of Airfare receipts, passport, photos, hotel bills, and so on. Registering visits with the Chinese government have nothing to do with proving a bona fide relationship.

from..... What Would a Reasonable Person Do?, NOID's, NOIR's, Refusals, Returns & Revocations

Evidence Pro: (a) 4 trips and 4 months spent together in 3 years. (:P

When it comes to proving a bona fide relationship, you need to prove that relationship to the satisfaction of US authorities. This evidence takes the form of Airfare receipts, passport, photos, hotel bills, and so on. Registering visits with the Chinese government have nothing to do with proving a bona fide relationship.

Marc is simply using this case as an example, and listing registration as a pro. It's simply one piece of evidence, and, yes, completely unnecessary for any US application.

The registration requirement is only a secondary law that authorities use if you do something wrong. If there is insufficient proof of the first offense, then they will most likely use the non registration to make you pay, or make you pay more.

This happened to me when I was living in China with my wife's family and tutoring students on the side for pay. The police just wanted their cut is all!Since they couldn't prove that I was getting paid.,(All my students said that I volunteered for free!) I got fined for failing to register instead.

If yer not staying in a hotel - you should register.

It's a POSITIVE THING - you'll make new friends (at the PSB), learn about the hole in the wall dives that serve great food (from the cops that wish to talk with you, outside - let them choose the resturant) and learn more about where the illegal activies are (yo - pui angmo - you go here? we arrest you! )

The hotels take care of it. Ever wonder why you try to stay at some cheap-ass hotel, only to be turned away? They don't serve foreigners, why? Well, they have no 'liason' with the PSB.

At least this was the case in Guangdong province, when I lived there.

If I'm sleeping overnight at a friend's house, I stop by my handy dandy local PSB, wave hello, get a nice piece o paper.

Let them know where you are, please?

Evidence Pro: (a) 4 trips and 4 months spent together in 3 years. (:lol:

But you get a nice receipt, saying which city you were in - it IS relationship evidence under the USCIS 'form instructions' - part of the litany of paper suggested to be sent in. I am aghast that you would want to suggest that having this receipt is useless.

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

I've stayed in Chinese hotels, international hotels, many homes and sublet apartments...finally after reading and study, on my eighth trip to the PRC I registered. I don't want to be fined...I don't want to be deported...I don't want to be denied a visa. So from now on after a hot shower and good nights sleep we'll taxi to the PSB and register and then 15 minutes later we'll go to a good restaurant and get a great meal and wash it down with a couple good bottles of cold beer...then take a walk in the park. Life is so difficult if you make it that way. ZZ

The registration requirement is only a secondary law that authorities use if you do something wrong. If there is insufficient proof of the first offense, then they will most likely use the non registration to make you pay, or make you pay more.

This happened to me when I was living in China with my wife's family and tutoring students on the side for pay. The police just wanted their cut is all!Since they couldn't prove that I was getting paid.,(All my students said that I volunteered for free!) I got fined for failing to register instead.

I agree!!

Of all the time i been to China i have never registered and have never had a problem.

Each time in Chongqing and i remind you all i must have been the only westerner there and still never had a problem.

Each time i stayed at my wifes house and again no problems.

My wife and i now have our own house in Chongqing and stayed there with no problems.

Morel of the story, Stay out of trouble, Keep your nose clean and everything will be fine.

>>Of all the time i been to China i have never registered and have never had a problem.<<

I rented an apartment in Fushun for a month...stayed on a former farm coop for a couple weeks in Hubei and no other westerners, nada..also in Chengdu, Wuhan, Dalian, Shenyang, Yichang, Xiamen and Nanning and never registered. But I'm doing it from now on.

From DOS website dated 03.31.2009:

Visitors are expected to register with the police within 24 hours of arrival in China. While hotels generally do this automatically with no additional action being required from the guest, Americans planning on staying in private homes with family or friends must go to their local police station to register. The police have been stricter in the enforcement of this rule and have fined apartment companies, hotels and Americans for violations.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1089.html

i know of a case where the relatives were fined and one where the landlord was fined. Why risk the embrassment and extra money to save 15-30 minutes time complying with a secondary (whatever that is) law? Besides the local police always seem glad that I took the time to register. It is respectful to follow the laws/guidelines of the country you are allowed to visit, live, or work in especially when you are well aware of them.

The State Department suggests that you register. Consequences for failure to register can be harsh; as can a white person shacking up with a Chinese person.

While the letter of the law says "ya gotta" ... my experience says "unless you tug on superman's cape" or spit in a cop's eye ya don't really need to.

Of course, Murphy can always show up at the worst possible times :)

Earlier in the thread someone suggested registering as a matter of course if you are staying in a place where foreigners are rarely seen; sounds like a good rule of thumb to me.

The State Department suggests that you register. Consequences for failure to register can be harsh; as can a white person shacking up with a Chinese person.

While the letter of the law says "ya gotta" ... my experience says "unless you tug on superman's cape" or spit in a cop's eye ya don't really need to.

Of course, Murphy can always show up at the worst possible times :rolleyes:

Earlier in the thread someone suggested registering as a matter of course if you are staying in a place where foreigners are rarely seen; sounds like a good rule of thumb to me.

Totally agree. And in my experience, if the PSB if really wanting to stick it to you its not going to be hard for them to find something. By the way, isn't it still illegal in china for a laowai to fornicate with a Chinese unless married or engaged or something? I am sure we all adhere to that :lol:

Of course, Murphy can always show up at the worst possible times :rolleyes:

Totally agree. And in my experience, if the PSB if really wanting to stick it to you its not going to be hard for them to find something. By the way, isn't it still illegal in china for a laowai to fornicate with a Chinese unless married or engaged or something? I am sure we all adhere to that :lol:

Not illegal. If you bring many different girls to your apartment or hotel over time the local police may suspect you are hiring prostitutes which is illegal (at least on paper).

It is illegal to have sex with the lights on in Va. however. Maybe to save energy? :lol:

http://media.www.ecollegetimes.com/media/s...s-3388114.shtml