question about ACH

when I get to talk to an officer at ACH,do i get the oppurtunity to show evidence concerning our case? example.....on our case,on paper it looks like i divorced right away and then met my wife,visited my wife then married my wife(events happening close together),but i have documents where it states i was seperated 1 year and 1/2 years before i filed for divorce,in fact i have been to Russia two times,seeing a Russian girl before meeting my wife ,i have also the document that shows when i filed for divorce(3 months)before my divorce was finalized....or can i at least bring up this matter and discuss it with the officer?just thinking,what i will ask the officer at ACH.

Jimi

to me this seems like a good issue to bring up and discuss at ACH. the officer will make notes about what you talk about, and those notes will be seen by the officer who interviews your wife.

i'd at least mention any evidence you definitely want them to see, because at the interview your wife probably won't have much say as far as what the officer looks at.

From the Consulate web page:

U.S. Citizen petitioners who would like general information on the Immigrant Visa process in Guangzhou may attend an information session hosted by Consular Officers on Mondays at 2:00pm. The purpose of these sessions is to address frequently asked questions and provide you with a better understanding of the process. Cases cannot and will not be re-adjudicated at petitioner hour. Additional materials for cases that have already been interviewed cannot be submitted during these sessions.

when I get to talk to an officer at ACH,do i get the oppurtunity to show evidence concerning our case? example.....on our case,on paper it looks like i divorced right away and then met my wife,visited my wife then married my wife(events happening close together),but i have documents where it states i was seperated 1 year and 1/2 years before i filed for divorce,in fact i have been to Russia two times,seeing a Russian girl before meeting my wife ,i have also the document that shows when i filed for divorce(3 months)before my divorce was finalized....or can i at least bring up this matter and discuss it with the officer?just thinking,what i will ask the officer at ACH.

Jimi

I would take it easy and not dump too much on them at once. Maybe have something notarized and let them start asking questions first, and then if they don't get around to asking it maybe in closing say something like " I would like to say some thing that might be over looked, due to the local laws in my state my previous marriage may look like it ended abruptly, however it was a two and half year process..."

I would make sure that I looked real happy! and not like I really felt like kicking ass for past errors....

Edited by peterd01 (see edit history)

Jimi

I would take it easy and not dump too much on them at once. Maybe have something notarized and let them start asking questions first, and then if they don't get around to asking it maybe in closing say something like " I would like to say some thing that might be over looked, due to the local laws in my state my previous marriage may look like it ended abruptly, however it was a two and half year process..."

I would make sure that I looked real happy! and not like I really felt like kicking ass for past errors....

yeah,i will have my happy face on !!! :D .....not thinking of dumping on them,i just thought well for one,i will request if my wife can have the interview done in chinese,and will tell VO my wife has been going to english school, and i thought maybe bring up this issue of our "quick"timeline,i would tell the VO my wife has additional evidence,concerning this matter.....no, in no way would my approach be to dump on them,this is our 2nd interview,its a new day,can't do much about the past.It is what it is,just looking to not repeat the past.

jimi

Jimi, maybe you could try showing the VO 2 versions of the Timeline/Evolution letter. Do one as an outline, showing the dates, and the other written as a letter telling the story, maybe he will tell you that the timeline is easier to see the important dates, and he might even notate this in your file. When we went for the K-3 in 2007, the VO actually took the letter and made a copy before I had it notarized. The next day the VO didn't even ask for it at the interview. I think you should try to keep it simple so that there is not much thinking on the VO's part, there is not much time on the day of the interview for the VO to rethink his decision. Good Luck, Mike & Yizhen

Jimi

Hi Jimi,

Anything that you want the VO to take notice of at the interview ..go to ACS and have it notarized. They won't take the document but it is my understanding that they may scan it.

I had the following notarized:

1) Updated Marital relationship.

2) The I-134

3) My passport

While at ACS I talked to the VO about "My wife was nervious" and if she could have her interview in Chinese.

AT ACH I had some questions that I asked and it is ok to tell the VO about things you are concerned about. You are not dumping documents on them but alot of what you say will be entered into the computer.

At ACH,,I again told them my wife was nervous and wanted her interview in Chinese.

So at the interview,,here is some of what took place:

My wife's interview was in Chinese...in fact my wife asked for her interview in Chinese and the VO said..."I Know, I know".... :D

The VO never asked for the I-134....So they must have scanned it and had it on the computer.

As far as the updated Marital relationship..here is what I did...I folded the document long wise and placed it in my passport and told my wife to hand the passport to the VO with the " updated Marital relationship" and just let the VO let curiosity take it's course. You can not make the VO read the document but you can get his curiosity up. Will he read it....In our case..The VO did read the

updated Marital relationship letter.

Do not put anything in the relationship letter take will make the VO ask more questions, but you could put in the letter about your 1year and a half of separation from your first wife as well as bringing it up at ACH.

Good luck and bring the pick home!!!!...... :D

Tom and Ling

At ACH,,I again told them my wife was nervous and wanted her interview in Chinese.

if you ask for her interview to be in chinese, giving a reason aside from poor english is definitely good advice. when i made this request, the officer said "no problem" but then immediately asked "do you two use chinese to communicate?"

just keep in mind: if you mostly speak english with one another, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to create the impression that her english is too poor to communicate with the VO. as Tom and Ling said, emphasize your reason for requesting chinese.

if you do use a lot of chinese when speaking with her, perhaps write a simple document in chinese that says something to that effect.

rogerinca brought up a good brief from the Consulate. I think what you want to know is can you get the info into the packet BEFORE the interview, right? Go and try, beats getting a blue. IMHO when you go to ACH with documents to get checked out and ask about the process things run much smoother. Getting your foot in the door shows concern on your part.

For the two times I were at ACH, I wasn't given much time, since I was among the first few people to be called and considering still at least 30 more after me, they had to rush me.

The 1st time, I didn't have GUZ # yet, but since I was in China, I went anyways holding my CR-1's P1. The white male VO was nice, he signed and dated the question form, so that I can turn it in to the officer then if I decided to go back when GUZ# in hand. I was given about 4 mins.

The 2nd time, I got the Chinese female VO, she was a little rude and talked very fast. I told her the concerns my hus and I have regarding pervious denials. She heard me, but I don't think she listened. She just said ok without typing anything in the computer or looking at my documents and just let me go. She called the next #. I told her I wasn't done talking, but she said she got my point. I asked if she can at least take that the paper I got from my 1st time ACH and put in my hus's file, she refused. I then insisted her to record my attendance for that day but she showed no response and continued calling for the next #. My 2nd time was less then 4 mins. It was too quick.

I got discouraged.

I then went over to the ACS side and requested if they can put that piece of paper from my 1st time ACH into my hus's file, the officer was happy to do it for me and then asked for our both of our CR-1 & K-3 GUZ # to make a record of it that I was there. GOT SATISFIED!

I think if you go to ACH, try to stay at the counter as long as you can and asked all your questins. Don't let them get rid of you too fast.

For the two times I were at ACH, I wasn't given much time, since I was among the first few people to be called and considering still at least 30 more after me, they had to rush me.

The 2nd time, I got the Chinese female VO, she was a little rude and talked very fast.

I think if you go to ACH, try to stay at the counter as long as you can and asked all your questins. Don't let them get rid of you too fast.

this is very far from what i experienced at ACH. i had an early 30s middle-eastern type woman, and she was extremely polite, patient, and thorough. the experience was reassuring for me and hearing about it gave my wife a confidence boost before going in for her interview the next day. what jimi gets may be determined by the luck of the draw.

jimi, just so you know, before going in you should write down all the questions you want to ask. once there you'll be given a form on which to write these questions. make them concise and something the officer can answer there on the spot.

For the newer members and for those of you who are not so new, but do not like to look at past threads/posts:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25128

Thanks for all the advice.I know time is short at ACH,so i just want to make the most of that time.address whatever i can address to the VO about our case.hopefully by doing this,and i know by doing this,it will make my wife more at ease,less nervous.And while i can't correct the past,The biggest mistake i made was not being with my wife,the first interview,would it have changed the outcome,probably not,but i know one thing coming to Guangzhou to be with my wife this time,she is more confident,less nervous....knowing i will be there may make all the difference in the world....to Guz,i don't know....but certainly to each other,strengthening our love and commitment to each other.

again,thanks for all the advice.

Jimi