absurdities of airline ticket pricing

Having just found out that Yan got her visa, I am getting info on airline ticket prices. Round-trip from Portland to Guangzhou can be had for $776 This includes flights for Portland to Vancouver, Vancouver to Tokyo, Tokyo to Guangzhou and backwards, Guangzhou to Tokyo, Tokyo to San Fransisco and San Fransisco to Portland. To be honest that's quite a deal.

However a one-way from Tokyo to Portland is $2230.

Theres a really good flight available from Guangzhou to Tokyo and then Tokyo to Portland. Only 55 minutes between flights, very short. I cant find the combo online though and the price, who knows?

I think maybe it will be best for her to get the tickets on her end. I am concerned about her having to go to San Francisco or Seattle first as it will be difficult for me to meet her there. I am only two hours from Portland, so that is not a problem.

If anyone has some tips on scoring reasonably priced one way tickets, I would sure appreciate hearing them.

Having just found out that Yan got her visa, I am getting info on airline ticket prices. Round-trip from Portland to Guangzhou can be had for $776 This includes flights for Portland to Vancouver, Vancouver to Tokyo, Tokyo to Guangzhou and backwards, Guangzhou to Tokyo, Tokyo to San Fransisco and San Fransisco to Portland. To be honest that's quite a deal.

Theres a really good flight available from Guangzhou to Tokyo and then Tokyo to Portland. Only 55 minutes between flights, very short. I cant find the combo online though and the price, who knows?

I think maybe it will be best for her to get the tickets on her end. I am concerned about her having to go to San Francisco or Seattle first as it will be difficult for me to meet her there. I am only two hours from Portland, so that is not a problem.

If anyone has some tips on scoring reasonably priced one way tickets, I would sure appreciate hearing them.

Check out USChinatrip.com

They seem to have really reasonable rates

ctrip.com has great rates FROM China to USA - but - you can't see the routings or prices in english..

ask your lass to check out http://www.ctrip.com - and come up with some prices / routings that make sense. Are you stuck on shoving through toyko ?

I like CAN/LAX and PVG/o'Hare - can get good rates to anywhere else .

You can always buy a RT ticket and simply not use the return trip.

I know what you mean though, when We returned from the China to the USA after Yu's K-1 visa interview, the Oneway was slightly less expensive than my RT ticket.

China Southern is having a sale on it's CAN/LAX route - it's 199 plus tax - making it 341 (roughly) one way. Arrives at LAX at 17:50 each time.

You have to book 45 days in advance to get this special 'X99' rate. The ticketing 'special' expires sometime in October.

Take a look at http://www.flychinasouthern.com/ and play around with the booking dates till you find one that you want (weekends do cost more la).

Then - you'll want to get her from LAX to Portland, right? should be able to find a direct flight - lots o airlines headed that way.

Good Luck !

Guest Tony n Terrific

Beleive it or not try Orbitz.com. One way flights out of Guz cost around $800 to Portland. Your total flight time is a little long @21 hours going thru Beijing, then Seattle then to Portland. Good Luck.

http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewFlightSearch...ge=interstitial

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)

Be careful of booking her a ticket with a stop in Vancouver BC. She will need a Canadian transit visa unless she has a green card. When my wife first came to the US she came in through Seattle and I drove up from Portland to get her. I didn't want her to have to navigate LAX or SFO by herself.

What would the price be leaving from Hong Kong, I'm willing to bet substantial less.

i paid 776 from hong kong to jfk 2 weeks ago, cathay pacific airlines.

Continental Airlines for around $800-$1000.00 round trip from Hong Kong, they seem to be the best price wise and non-stop from Newark, NJ. One way tickets for some reason almost always equal a round trip ticket. To the west coast from China should be even less.

Edited by HKG (see edit history)