What to take with me

Great advice. Also go light on the clothes (you can buy new clothes cheaply in China) and bring as many small gifts as you can carry as you will meet many people and they will come in handy. You can never bring enough small things to give to others including your girl.

Aside from what I wear on the plane, I will probably take 2 pairs of pants and a few long sleeve shirts, some good socks and underwear and a pair of nice shoes, no more.

I'm not going to rely on buying clothes there, since I will probably have an even harder time buying clothes in China than I do in South America, where I am lucky if the largest size in the store fits.

However, I will have my girlfriend find me a tailor and see if they can put together a nice sports jacket for me.

Tell me more about small gifts, though (see caveat below).

Maybe I am reading too much into your comment about raincoats for Mr. Happy but remember you are there for her, not for some sort of sex tour.

Of course. But a gentleman is prepared for anything, and I'd rather have something that won't break right there, than have to run out and get something.

A humble attitude, a pure heart, a generous spirit with many gifts for all and only good intentions will go a long way in winning your girls heart and winning over her family. Good Luck!

I had to twist the young lady's arm pretty hard to get her to agree to let me pay for everything while I am visiting her, because she doesn't want to be seen as a gold-digger. On the other hand, I feel awkward coming in and looking like a big shot distributing largesse left and right. Not that I'm poor, but I'm afraid it would set expectations for later that I couldn't meet, because I certainly can't keep up that performance in the USA.

I was thinking a 1/2 kilo of American white ginseng for her parents. I found a nice Swiss Gear bag with a padded strap for her, with places for an ipod, cell phone, and so on. I might tuck something inside that as a gift inside the gift, possibly a DVD or something like that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some good cooking in Chengdu, but it could be a little spicy for you. So taking Tums is good advice. I have done a lot of traveling so for a long time I have packed a laxative and Imodium to cover all bases. Banks and casa de cambios around the world look at US money very closely...no marks, rips or to worn out...get some $100 bills that are pristine. There is an area of Chengdu they call Computer City where you can buy all of the components there are for rock bottom prices...and anything that can be copied to disc is sold. Have fun in the big city! ZZ

Tums usually leaves me worse of than when I started. Ranitidine acid reducer, on the other hand, is excellent stuff.

Also, the hotel I am staying at, the Jin Jiang Inn at #62 Wenwu Street, IIRC, supposedly takes foreign credit cards according to ctrip.com, but I've noticed that Jin Jiang Inn is a hotel chain and the other one in Chengdu does not take foreign credit cards. So given previous experiences with Chinese businesses, I am looking at that as a red flag.

Hmm, I should figure out if my debit card will work in Chengdu to get cash from an ATM.

So maybe I take $700 in hundreds with me, change it all when I get there and use my debit card for emergencies.

I will definitely check out Computer City.

Christopher

My Mother in law did my laundry for me, she enjoys it and insists. As to changing money, try to do it in a large, well established bank. I changed mine in a relatively large bank in Shenzhen, and it was like pulling teeth. They called the Consulate in Chicago to verify my identity. I never had any issue with the food at all, my mother in law cooked for me a LOT and it was GREAT. None of the food we had when we ate out gave my stomach any problems. But I DID bring immodium with me just in case, and I will do so again this June/July when I go back. You will have a GREAT time. Enjoy!!

Appaullo

There is some good cooking in Chengdu, but it could be a little spicy for you. So taking Tums is good advice. I have done a lot of traveling so for a long time I have packed a laxative and Imodium to cover all bases. Banks and casa de cambios around the world look at US money very closely...no marks, rips or to worn out...get some $100 bills that are pristine. There is an area of Chengdu they call Computer City where you can buy all of the components there are for rock bottom prices...and anything that can be copied to disc is sold. Have fun in the big city! ZZ

Tums usually leaves me worse of than when I started. Ranitidine acid reducer, on the other hand, is excellent stuff.

Also, the hotel I am staying at, the Jin Jiang Inn at #62 Wenwu Street, IIRC, supposedly takes foreign credit cards according to ctrip.com, but I've noticed that Jin Jiang Inn is a hotel chain and the other one in Chengdu does not take foreign credit cards. So given previous experiences with Chinese businesses, I am looking at that as a red flag.

Hmm, I should figure out if my debit card will work in Chengdu to get cash from an ATM.

So maybe I take $700 in hundreds with me, change it all when I get there and use my debit card for emergencies.

I will definitely check out Computer City.

Christopher

I went to my bank (Chase) and had told them the dates I would be in China and they contaced their fraud dept. and okayed use of my ATM card. I never had a problem using it and even left an extra with my then-fiancee after my second visit. Did the same for my credit card.

I was thinking a 1/2 kilo of American white ginseng for her parents.

Actually, American ginseng is an interesting idea to bring in summer time since it is 'yin' (cooling) , compared to chinese ginseng 'yang' (heating).

Hopefully, they'll not interpret it as they need to 'cool down' in any other way :D

If you could go to a Chinese bookstore here and find if they have maps of the US with the names of cities and states in Chinese, that is something I guarantee they will love to have. Maybe buy more than one. The map I sent my wife while she was waiting for her visa ended up being given to her cousin because she begged for it so hard, and I had to go and buy another.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Be sure to bring:

1. Peripheral Vision. You will need it when walking on the streets and sidewalks.

2. Ink Pen. It's important to have one with you at all times to sign your autograph for the people that stare at you.

3. Deep Breathing. Practice, practice, practice. It pays off to learn how to breathe in, and hold it before you enter the WC.

4. Bib. You must have one when going to restaurants, to prevent food from staining your clothes while you're trying to be cool with chopsticks.

5. Rubber Soled Shoes. None of those slippery leather-soles shoes. Unless of course you're accomplished with 1 1/2 gainers and back-flips.

6. Point and say, "Jugga" at everything you see.

7. Sunglasses. A must to conceal your dear-in-the-headlights eyes.

--edit--

I could keep adding to this list for an eternity....

8. Boo zsha le. Learn it. Know it. You will need it when standing in crowded places and lines [stop pushing me; phonetic version, and not pinyin]

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Travel light. Clothes are cheap in China. If your sweet heart is like mine she will likely be hand washing your dirty clothes daily and hanging them in the shower of your hotel room to dry. I agree with I-Dave's list.

I was thinking a 1/2 kilo of American white ginseng for her parents.

Actually, American ginseng is an interesting idea to bring in summer time since it is 'yin' (cooling) , compared to chinese ginseng 'yang' (heating).

Hopefully, they'll not interpret it as they need to 'cool down' in any other way :)

The heating kind of ginseng is not for female use, and men aren't supposed to use red ginseng for extended periods either.

Here is my list from my last trip

What to take to China.

Get Chinese money

Passport

Laptop,

cell phone charger,

head set,

head set charger,

mp3 player

Sleeping pills,

Xheadache pills,

anti diarrhea pills,

translator

2 pjs,

tooth brush,

brush,

deodorant,

books to read.

3 pants

6 socks

2 t shirts

hair gel,

3 warm tops,

3 shirts,

6 shorts,

computer headset

international plug,

Ethernet cable,

mini USB cable,

camera,

extra batteries,

I never had a problem using it and even left an extra with my then-fiancee after my second visit. Did the same for my credit card.

Keyword "2nd visit" or even 3rd.... make sure she is the one as I'm sure you'll know.

This is an excellent idea, I did the same even though the card I left her never would work for her in China, even as I talked to the bank. Others had not problems at all. i told he to keep the card and she used it fine when she came here.

By doing this, it will allow you to deposit money into the account and she can withdraw without the western union charges, which can be costly over time.

Additonally, the first time I went to China, I got Jet-Lag so bad, it lasted like 3-4 days. the next time I went I took No Jet Lag and I had no problems. I saw others taking it also. It's a fun time, enjoy my man your trip my man.

No Jet Lag

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

these are good suggestions. as mentioned, don't forget to call your bank to make sure they know you'll be in china and to remove any blocks they have on ATM withdrawals in asia (you can get the block back on your account once you return).

also, while i've never had any stomach problems in china (aside from occasionally eating wayyyy too much), the food on the plane gives me gas every single time. last time i took some gas ex (the cheap "equate" version) and it was a very easy flight.

edit -- one last thing. from reading the posts above it sounds like some people might be drinking tap water in china? you should buy bottled water at the store, ask for kai shui (boiled water) or tea at restaurants, and, if you can afford it, you might even want to use the bottled water when you brush your teeth...

Edited by weiaijiayou (see edit history)

This trip all I am taking is 2 changes of clothes, my computer and some documents and a couple rolls of good TP and some meds.

basically 1 carry on bag.

As far as cash goes I am not taking any RMB or Cash. Taking my Debit card. I'll pull out of the ATM all the cash I need at a much better exchange rate. Do it there from an ATM you get 6.8 RMB to the dollar. Do it here you only get 6.1

Thats a difference of about 380.00 per 4000.00 Pretty good chunk of change.

Edited by shadeOgray (see edit history)

Is the name on your credit cards exactly the same as your name on your passport? Middle name or middle initial? Someone add the Jr you never use to one of them? If it isn't you can run into trouble.

I tried to use a card with my middle initial and not my middle name that appears on my passport at a large store in Beijing and after being shuttled around to several cashiers, several phone calls and extended conversation with my then fiancee, they handed my card and passport back and she said "let's go!", refusing to tell me what they said. Back at the hotel I found out she was told I was trying to use someone else credit card! She was embarrassed and I was asked to prove that I really was me!

So if one of your cards says EXACTLY what your passport says, it could save you some trouble. :D

Y'all have some great suggestions...the Chinese boil their water and countryside people drink hot water, and not tea. I learned not to drink the water in several countries here in America....buy it or boil it. "Jet Lag", is melatonin I think...I use it often and even at home...very cheap at drug stores and it works. You'll need an ink pen to fill out Immigration/Customs forms...or you can be like most travelers and borrow one....Ahhhh, the "WC", they are inexplicable even to the locals...no words can...

¡Buen Viaje!

ZZ