K1 Visas or getting married in china

Guest bymyside

Guest bymyside

Please help, I am debating to apply for K1 visa for fiancee or go to China and marry my girl there. I heard the applying for fiancee is quicker like no more than 10 months and getting married in China takes a much longer like up to 3 years for her to be here. Which way is much easier, I just want us to be together, the sooner the better. Please help me, many of you has go through this pain. Thank You. :rolleyes:

Guest bymyside

I have known each other for two plus years and I do not like to feel too rush but it makes sense that when two couple intends to spend the rest of their lives together they have to be physically together. I just am just too confuse, does anyone knows if relationship between USA and China is still in good hand. I just want to do the right thing and take the better well traveled route.

whoever: Thankyou very much. Someday I'll get around to writing the backstory for my current marital bliss.

bymyside:

...but it makes sense that when two couple intends to spend the rest of their lives together they have to be physically together.

An argument can be made that if you intend to spend the rest of your lives together a few months of involuntary seperation won't adversely impact your relationship.

Still, I wish we had gotten married in the USA instead of China.

Guest Se_Lang
I have known each other for two plus years and I do not like to feel too rush but it makes sense that when two couple intends to spend the rest of their lives together they have to be physically together.  I just am just too confuse, does anyone knows if relationship between USA and China is still in good hand.  I just want to do the right thing and take the better well traveled route.

it is a long lonely road, but IMHO it is well worth it. Take a look at some of these guys time lines they waited a long time and I am sure everyone that has their woman here is happy that they did wait. Look you are making a life long commitment 10 months or 2 years is a short time in the big picture, Yes I know it sucks to be on this side of the time line I had to wait for a year before I could even file the I-129F now I have another year wait for her visa maybe longer who really knows, but I also get to visit China and see things most people in this world only read about or see on TV. So if you are worried about the physical part of not being together then you have a few options 1.Visit often(Best) 2.Cold shower(No fun) 3. take matters to hand :o

I have known each other for two plus years and I do not like to feel too rush but it makes sense that when two couple intends to spend the rest of their lives together they have to be physically together.  I just am just too confuse, does anyone knows if relationship between USA and China is still in good hand.  I just want to do the right thing and take the better well traveled route.

bymyside,

I just finished a big disagreement on a different chat forum on this very topic. I learned much in the debate. If you can provide proof that you have met your significant other (pictures together, stamped passports, etc.), then it is my conclusion that a K1 (fiancee visa) is faster. What part of the country do you live in? What service center will you mail you petition to?

Just my opinion, but you need to factor the following into the equation. If you want to marry, you'll need to go through all the requirements of the Chinese government. That ADDS to the timeline. Then, you'll have to make yet another trip to China so you can marry. After that, you can file the I130. On the other hand, if you already have proof you two have met, you can put the I129 in the mail today if you want.

It's hard to say what is faster....is very subjective. As such, I see K1 being faster. Plus, the K1 gives you more time to "court" each other. God forbid, but if things fell apart while you wait for the visa, then you have dodged a big bullet.....you avoided all the pain and inconvenience of nullifying a marriage.

Good luck....follow your heart.....be wise.....and everything will work out.

Dave

It's hard to say what is faster....is very subjective.  As such, I see K1 being faster.  Plus, the K1 gives you more time to "court" each other.  God forbid, but if things fell apart while you wait for the visa, then you have dodged a big bullet.....you avoided all the pain and inconvenience of nullifying a marriage.

I agree with Dave. A lot of times, the Chinese fiancee pictures USA as a place full of gold and opportunity. This can be true but she still needs to work hard to be successful. My wife is trying to adjust to fast pace life in Boston now.

K1 has always been the fastest and it always will be, because for the K3 you have to file the I-130 first, then after you get the notice of action showing they actually have it, then you can file the I-129F. It does not take long to get your NOA but I'm just making the point that there is some difference like that.

It is too bad you did not marry her in China two years ago when you first met!!! Oh well, it is also good you waited to make up your mind. Both ways are okay I think. But if you had married two years ago you could be applying for an IR-1 visa that would have employment authorization, an SSN, and a green card all to go along with it!!!

If she really wants for you two to be married in China then go ahead and do that. Don't worry about it, a K3 would be almost as quick as a K1 nowadays.

Guest bymyside

Thank you all for your responses and understanding. As I have done my research and lots of reading, each process will have its hurdle. Patience is the virtue as the Chinese proverb goes. I fell for this woman the first time I met her, her tone of voice and her character makes it hard to resist. I think this is what love is about, it is a drink that can not be quenched. I think it took her awhile to finally see the big picture, her parents finally see that this love train is unstoppable. I have suggested to her that America is not a land of full of greens but it is the place where many successes happens. The people here do work and unlike China not everything here is paid in full, you work for it. Now, if I choose to do what the future wife says, then what is the step in detail for the K3, can someone direct me to more reading if it is too much to post it here?

From the K Visa FAQ:

A. The US Citizen files an I-130 petition for the foreign spouse.

B. BCIS (INS) issues a receipt (I-797) acknowleging filing of the I-130 petition.

C. The US Citizen files an I-129F petition, using the I-797 receipt as "proof of filing an immigrant petition". All children of the foreign spouse will be listed on this petition. The I-129F is sent to a special Service Center in Chicago. At this point, the "track" of the K3/K4 process becomes similar to the current processing for K1/K2 fiance(e) visa.

D. When the petition is approved, the appropriate Consulate is notified and processing for the K3/K4 non-immigrant visa is begun, including medical, police check, I-134 affidavit of support, and Consular interview. The fee will be the same as the current K1 fiance(e) visa.

E. The K3 visa is issued to the spouse, the K4 to the minor children, they go to the United States.

F. The K3 spouse and K4 children file the I-485 for Adjustment of Status, either immediately or when the I-130 petition is approved. The new K visa will be issued for an effective period of 2 years, with multiple entries permitted, and provision to extend the visa beyond 2 years. The State Department has indicated that in K3/K4 cases, that the BCIS (INS) will retain the approved I-130 petition. This means if he K3/K4 visa holder wishes to obtain an immigrant visa at a Consulate, they need to notify that Consulate to begin the process, after which the Consulate will request the approved I-130 petition from the BCIS (INS). The BCIS (INS) seems to expect that most K3/K4 folks will apply for AOS from inside the United States, but due to long processing times at some local offices, it is very possible some folks will wish to opt for Consular processing after they arrive in the United States.

Also, check out the Links and Resources section of Candle. There's a lot of information there. Just take it one step at a time, draw up a preliminary timeline along with a list of forms that will have to be filled out and submitted at each milestone and you should be good to go.

Cogratulations and good luck!

Go with the K1. I wish I had. Also, with a K1 you skip the 15 day wait that the Chinese government takes to do the processing before you can get your red marriage license.

Some Chinese, however, feel that if you are going over there and sleeping with her, you need to marry her. If her and her family feel that way, do the K3.

From what I've seen, K1 and K3 aren't that much different.

John

We got our marriage cert the same day. STD inspection, blood test, photos, notary, little red marriage booklet all in a single day. The official who handled our paperwork had a big metal PLA belt buckle that I had a serious lust for, but things were going so well I did not want to tempt fate by trying to buy it off him.

A gratuity of sorts may assist in speeding the process along. :lol: