Anubody ever drank any of the snake oil?

My wifes family invited us for dinner on my last day there, and her uncle broke out this huge bottle with some kind of liquid inside with a bunch of big snakes inside the bottle as well. He broke out about 10 glasses and started pouring (only the men were drinking it) He offered me a glass and i politely turned it down. I could tell he was disappointed, but i told my wife i had to draw the line somewhere, and she understood.

Anybody got a clue as to what was in that bottle besides snakes?

LOL!!

Patrick

My wifes family invited us for dinner on my last day there, and her uncle broke out this huge bottle with some kind of liquid inside with a bunch of big snakes inside the bottle as well. He broke out about 10 glasses and started pouring (only the men were drinking it) He offered me a glass and i politely turned it down. I could tell he was disappointed, but i told my wife i had to draw the line somewhere, and she understood.

LOL!!

Patrick

Snakes, snakes, and more snakes! :D

Depending on what it was, it may have also contained a mixture of Chinese herbs and alcohol. Once, when I was living in China, I had a terrible cold. A student made a trip all the way down town to buy me a "special remedy". Turned out to be snake stomach. Ouch....!

;) Or maybe it was the gall bladder...I don't remember which.

LOL!!

Patrick

In all the years I have been traveling to China I have tried everything from ancient daoist liquor to cow stomach.

I have not had the oppurtunity to drink the the snake wine but did eat snake one time in Nanjing ...

Yes, it tasted like chicken !

LOL!!

Patrick

In all the years I have been traveling to China I have tried everything from ancient daoist liquor to cow stomach.

I have not had the oppurtunity to drink the the snake wine but did eat snake one time in Nanjing ...

Yes, it tasted like chicken !

Ah yes the snake,, don't know what was in the bottle but have eaten snake in Zhuchange and Dog and Piegon and Chicken feet in Ningbo. The snake was boney.. Had that 139 proof white wine too from up north not even the Chinese guys Com Bie with that stuff :D

Let's see. I grew up in China but only tasted some of the stuff for the first time in my last two trips. I ate snake, fried and dry and rubbery. But the salad made out of the snake skin was good. I Gai Beied quite a few of those Lao Bai Gan, and could not remeber if I ordered dog meat ( I since denied even thought about doing such a thing and appologied to my Debbie and Buster and assured them that I would never bite them or eat them) or donkey meat. In any case, I lost my contact book, cell phone, plane ticket home and my favoriate lether jacket. That was 2002. This past August, I tried fried star fish, some kind of a stringy thing which belonged to pigs. One thing I declined was the scorpion. Snake wine and ox Bian (penis) are supposed to ... Never tried the former, but was fooled in having the latter for lunch for a week in Inner Mongolia years ago on a lecture trip. Thought it was beef tenden till I start to have frequent nose bleeds and see the Mongolian woman as semi-attractive.

(there is a chinse saying: If you are stationed in Mongolia for three years, even pigs start to have double eyelids)

When I was in Okinawa and Japan, Sake with a snake in was common in bars. I have tried it and it was ok. When it gets old and the snake starts falling apart, it smells and tastes terrible.

jimb

Let's see.  I grew up in China but only tasted some of the stuff for the first time in my last two trips.  I ate snake, fried and dry and rubbery.  But the salad made out of the snake skin was good.  I Gai Beied quite a few of those Lao Bai Gan, and could not remeber if I ordered dog meat ( I since denied even thought about doing such a thing and appologied to my Debbie and Buster and assured them that I would never bite them or eat them) or donkey meat.  In any case, I lost my contact book, cell phone, plane ticket home and my favoriate lether jacket.  That was 2002.  This past August, I tried fried star fish, some kind of a stringy thing which belonged to pigs.  One thing I declined was the scorpion.  Snake wine and ox Bian (penis) are supposed to ...  Never tried the former, but was fooled in having the latter for lunch for a week in Inner Mongolia years ago on a lecture trip.  Thought it was beef tenden till I start to have frequent nose bleeds and see the Mongolian woman as semi-attractive.

(there is a chinse saying: If you are stationed in Mongolia for three years, even pigs start to have double eyelids)

The dog meat was a macho test by the northern business men kinda like will you do it?? And although a little aprehensive at first the meat looked like lamb and tasted like lamb and being an old hunter from way back and having eaten most wild game it did not phase me. I told my translator to tell them this and it was recieved with a laugh and Gai Bei...when I told my fiance' she curls her nose up at that and exclaims "I no eat that" yuck!!

when I told my fiance' she curls her nose up at that and exclaims "I no eat that" yuck!!

I've had to remind JM that the deep fried pigs are ONLY for the dogs. I imagine someday coming home and seeing the three of them snacking on that little delight.

Jing is from/lives on an island and is a fish person..Loves all kinds of sea food crab especially.. I think this is part of her up-bringing although she likes a good steak in the western style restaurants and will not say no to McDonalds although I do..

Patrick , noyt only did I drink it but I paid about 50 rmb to do it. Two years ago I went on a tour of China - 6 cities in 12 days deal - and while on a tour of the LI River in Guilin we were offered this stuff. It was a large glass bottle with a yellowish clear liquid inside and a snake on the bottom of the jar. Well, when in Rome.....it was horrible! Disgusting! Honestly, it tasted like rubbing alcohol. Yetch!

Personally, I don't mind dog meat but I cannot eat the stir-fried insects. :P In ShanDong they eat fried secada's (sp?) !

Dave

I think the closest I've come to a snake liquor was a cough syrup made from snake bile. Fortunately, enough other stuff was added so that it actually tasted okay. Did it help the cough? Who knows, but after you drink it, you tend to forget everthing else except the fact that you just drank snake bile. :P