Advance Parole I-131

I'm not sure if I need to send this in with AOS.

She has no intention of going anywhere anytime soon (possibly next year for Chinese New Year), but if I don't apply for advance parole, when is the earliest she can leave and come back?

I also don't know if I can apply anyway since we have no intended dates of departure....

IMO, it's one of those 'things' where it's nice to have it if some emergency pops up, like Mom is sick or dying...

Since it doesn't change the price of the AOS check, I just say, 'why not' ?

Might as well fill it out. It's included in when you pay the $1010. Ying said she wanted it just in case there was an emergency. And I believe dates of departure can be a little vague anyway.

I was also under the impression previously one needed the AP even while holding the 2 year green card. This is probably incorrect and someone will chime in.

IMO, it's one of those 'things' where it's nice to have it if some emergency pops up, like Mom is sick or dying...

Since it doesn't change the price of the AOS check, I just say, 'why not' ?

That's what I was thinking, but I am still not sure how the advance parole works. ie: How can I apply for it when I don't have a scheduled trip to give hard dates for? Or is it one of those things you just make up dates and they give you and open ended permission slip?

I just don't know...

You are correct about the dates - unimportant. Batmaniac is also correct - you do not need AP when traveling when traveling with a green card, unless you've been gone for over a year.

Cool.

So I can just make up the dates and file it with AOS anyway, right?

Should I even bother to estimate the dates we might leave, or just but down anything?

• 3 weeks later...

Oh - you could get creative with a nice story?

I'm a fan of the newly reformed China Women's Volleyball team - you could find out their match dates for June/July, and work up a story around those dates. Surely she could work up a story about doing some video news about the team...

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

I have a related question, I'm about to file the AOS packet this week. My wife is planning to go back to China for 7 weeks in Oct. My question is that in case we don't receive the green card prior to her departure, using the AP alone, will the length of the travel cause any problem at the POE?

I have a related question, I'm about to file the AOS packet this week. My wife is planning to go back to China for 7 weeks in Oct. My question is that in case we don't receive the green card prior to her departure, using the AP alone, will the length of the travel cause any problem at the POE?

No - UNLESS she were to have an interview scheduled during that seven weeks.

A bio-metrics appointment is more painless to re-schedule, but almost certain to come before then anyway

If you want to try to juggle the timing a little, you could delay filing. If you're K-1, that SHOULD be okay, but not for the feint of heart. I'd recommend filing soon and taking your chances with the interview date.

Also, how in depth do I need to get on the Avanced Parole question in Part 7.

I'm not really planning a trip for sure, but since it is included in the filing fees, I thought we should do it just to have in case she needs it.

But what should I write here?

Apply. My wife didn't think she needed it too. It was included so we got it. I wrote a simple letter stating that a family member was in poor health and my wife wanted to be able to visit if an emergency arrose. No dates required. We got it easily. It also comes first, so it is a nice check to see how the system's oiled.

Sadly four days before her AOS interview her grandmother passed away. She couldn't go. Any sooner and it would have been nice to know we had the AP.

Thanks. Few more questions:

1. How difficult would it be to re-schedule the AOS interview date?

2. The $1,010 filing fee covers AOS, EAD, and AP document, correct?

3. All 3 abovementioned forms should be sent to the same Chicago address, correct?

4. Should I use separate envelope for each form, then put them all in big USPS Priority Mail envelope? If so, the check should be included in te AOS envelope, correct?

No - UNLESS she were to have an interview scheduled during that seven weeks.

A bio-metrics appointment is more painless to re-schedule, but almost certain to come before then anyway

If you want to try to juggle the timing a little, you could delay filing. If you're K-1, that SHOULD be okay, but not for the feint of heart. I'd recommend filing soon and taking your chances with the interview date.

Edited by roadwarrior (see edit history)