Food and Pregnancy

Well, we are a little over two months into the pregnancy now and Li is doing fine except for nausea and consistent cravings. In fact she is obsessed with food. Just a few nights ago I had to make an excursion into Ardmore on a mission of grave importance. She just had to have some chicken stomachs! :lol:

It took awhile but I finally figured out she meant chicken gizzards ;) . Now, imagine trying to find chicken gizzards in Ardmore, Tennessee. Yet old Mick is persistent if nothing else and I surfaced a package at the local Piggly Wiggly (don't ask).

The food obsession continues. Two days ago, as we were riding through the countryside, I pointed out the beauty of the cotton fields and how they looked like snow. I went through a very nice, poetic description of both cotton and snow on the fields. Her response?

"Yes, but I can't eat it". :o

Next afternoon we were returning home near sunset and the sun was absolutely gorgeous, a large red-orange ball hanging in a velvet sky. Perfect for a Tennessee October. I pointed it out to Li and she said:

"I have been looking at it for a long time. It looks like the yoke of a preserved egg. I wish I had a preserved egg."

I could go on and on with examples of this, like how she wanted to change all the cars into food and eat them, but I won't. I will, however, offer one final example.

We were lying on the bed, talking about the baby and the future. I was gently rubbing her breast with my hand, an activity she enjoys very much. As I did this, she looked up at me with very loving eyes and said:

"I really wish I had some duck from my hometown".

:o :o ;) :lol:

Good grief, how long will this go on?????? :o

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to you Mick! What Li's experiencing is absolutely normal for many early pregnant woman and may last for a few more weeks or so. What she' s craving for are also not unusual for a Chinese, these are very common yet considered to be delicatassen in China such as chicken gizzard or preserved eggs as you mentioned. We have plenty of these here in Manhattan Chinatown. Unfortunately you may have a hard time to find them in Ardmore but if you look close enough you can find in your local Kroger stores. Just try hard enough, you'll find what she's craving for!

Congratulations to you Mick!  What Li's experiencing is absolutely normal for many early pregnant woman and may last for a few more weeks or so.  What she' s craving for are also not unusual for a Chinese,  these are very common yet considered to be delicatassen in China such as chicken gizzard or preserved eggs as you mentioned.  We have plenty of these here in Manhattan Chinatown.  Unfortunately you may have a hard time to find them in Ardmore but if you look close enough you can find in your local Kroger stores. Just try hard enough, you'll find what she's craving for!

We have found a Chinese grocery around thirty miles south of here that has a good supply of many items, especially pickled vegetables. Last week we made a sojourn down there and stocked up. I do feel for her though. A lot of the things she is craving, she can't get unless we travel all the way up to Nashville, about eighty miles away. Her hometown in Anhui is famous for a certain type of duck. I have eaten it before and it is delicious. However, no way to get that around here.

This weeks main food is pickled dofu and some unidentifiable green, stringy substance that she eats in porridge. Last night she made a pot of it at ten o'clock so she could have it to eat this morning.

No, Don....I won't be stocking up on gizzards. :o

Mick...

I had never really thought about it, but early on all we spoke about was food. When I saw her on the web cam, she was always eating. Milk, pig feet, ice cream...it didn't stop. She never felt nauseous and denied cravings. She just wanted everything!

You know how honest the Chinese are, right? Everyone says she has a fat a** now. When she learned she was pregnant, she got big FAST. Not baby big....fat big. Her doctor finally told her to knock off all the food. I think the baby finally caught up to what her body should look like now.

Next week is my b-day. The baby will be 4 months on that day. As such, JM will go and have the ultrasound and tell me the sex for my gift. Can't think of a better present!

Hang in there......at least you're not posting about raging hormones!

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/t/keano.gif

You need to stand by for the strawberry craving because it will surely come!!!

My mother denies that it ever happened but I'll never forget the time when I was a teenager and woke up at about 3:00 in the morning because I heard some noise downstairs in the kitchen. I went down to find my mother just putting a homemade pizza in the oven, with anchovies and everything on it. I asked her what in the world she was doing this time of night making pizza and she said "don't you know, I'm pregnant!" This was to be her seventh child. By the way, that was some excellent pizza.

The saga continues. I just drove Li into Ardmore where she works part time. Coming in from the north, Ardmore sits on top of a small mountain. The trees are beginning to change colors, and nature mystic that I am, I pay close attention to these things. I pointed out a tree that was turning a brilliant shade of red. I remarked how beautiful it was. Li's response:

"I wonder if it has any nuts on it I could eat?"

:o :blink: :huh:

Ah, food obsession knows no limits. ;)

I am sure there are a lot of pecan trees shedding nuts all around there. Let her get busy picking up a couple bushels of these!!! That hard work might cure her of looking at everything from a culinary standpoint. If you have space for a garden, it is time to put out all the different winter vegetables. :o

I am sure there are a lot of pecan trees shedding nuts all around there.  Let her get busy picking up a couple bushels of these!!!  That hard work might cure her of looking at everything from a culinary standpoint.  If you have space for a garden, it is time to put out all the different winter vegetables. :blink:

Thanks Robert. We'll try to find a pecan tree this weekend! :o

I am sure there are a lot of pecan trees shedding nuts all around there.  Let her get busy picking up a couple bushels of these!!!  That hard work might cure her of looking at everything from a culinary standpoint.  If you have space for a garden, it is time to put out all the different winter vegetables.   :P

Thanks Robert. We'll try to find a pecan tree this weekend! :P

I had the dubious pleasure of spending one summer and one winter in Alabama when I was in the service (several years apart). The best thing I remember about it was the natural pecans that I brought home. I crave them to this day, but can only rarely find them without that stupid bitter-tasting red wax they polish them with.

How 'bout sending me a CARE package, Mick?

Will do if I can find them Don. But be advised, Li may eat them before I can get them packed. :D

For the record, we live in Tennessee actually. Ardmore is divided by the state line. We are "northerners" as we live on the Tennessee side. Another interesting point, Ardmore straddles the boundaries of four counties. Pretty amazing for a population of around fifteen hundred tops.

BTW: There are a total of four Chinese in Ardmore, including Li. The other three are a married couple and the husbands younger brother. They are all in their twenties and own a local Chinese carry-out. Really great folks. On Monday, Li, myself, and the wife of the couple are driving up to Nashville to a large Chinese market where Li can stock up on items she is craving.

I am sure there are a lot of pecan trees shedding nuts all around there.  Let her get busy picking up a couple bushels of these!!!  That hard work might cure her of looking at everything from a culinary standpoint.  If you have space for a garden, it is time to put out all the different winter vegetables.   :P

Thanks Robert. We'll try to find a pecan tree this weekend! :lol:

This afternoon on our family farm I was checking a fence line and came across a fine gathering of huge freshly dropped hickory nuts from a shagbark hickory and could not resist picking up a couple of them. Then I thought about Li so I picked up as many as I could and got two pocketfuls. PM me your mailing address and I will send Li some of these which she can try when she has a craving for something but she does not know what exactly the craving is for in particular. Maybe something completely different would be enjoyable for her. :(

They are all in their twenties and own a local Chinese carry-out. Really great folks.

Mick...

Get to know these folks really well. Maybe it can save you $$$ when she gets more hungry later down the line.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/k/yogi.gif

Already know them very well Dave. The last two nights they have sent over a large, and I do mean large, container of sweet and sour soup for Li. As I mentioned before, on Monday I will take Li plus the wife of the owner to Nashville to "stock up".

Li is concerned that I am giving board members the impression that she eats all the time. Fact is, she doesn't eat enough in my humble opinion. Its just that she thinks about food every waking moment and last night she dreamed about food. Very common I am sure. She is a small lady and her belly is already beginning to show a bit. Pregnancy will be a great adventure I am sure. Easier on me than her though.