Two Weeks in GUZ

Guest Dylan W

Guest Dylan W

:P I have some short time now, so here's the scoop. I might add more later and answer any questions if I leave something out. Wendy moved out of her apartment and has been staying at a hotel/apartment near the consulate. Although Wendy is familiar with the medical/visa process and Guangzhou in general, anyone who hasn't been here or needs help should consider staying here. The owner has several apartment/hotel locations all near the consulate. Here's the hotel owner's business card for those who want to have their Chinese SO call and book a room or get rates.

http://i40.tinypic.com/29zew3k.jpg

The hotel owner is also very helpful and will gladly take you to get your medical and visa needs prior to the interview. The room rates are fantastic for the area, and if you need recommendations for nearby dining and food, ask me! :P Feel free to PM me. ;) Below is a photo of the hotel, right behind me. The Consulate is just on the opposite side. Here's more info in a sepate thread. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=35833&hl=

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ekrrxl.jpg

I arrived in Guangzhou on 02/21 so I could attend ACH on 02/23. I had a white male VO, and as Wendy says... it was the one with hair, and handsome... so I assume with had the same person. I filled out the paper given to me and I had three questions. Upon being called to the window, the VO took my paper, and asked my name. I gave him my passport and he smiled. He then varified the address and my fiance's name. Then he said that she hadn't been interviewed yet, and I said back, yes, her interview is next Monday. He said right, everything looks in good. I said ok, I just have a few questions.

1. I showed him Wendy's notorizated documents to varify they were done correctly, as back in her province there were some questions. The VO said everything was in order.

2. I asked about the I-134. I stated that I didn't make enough for 3 consecutive years, so I had my step-mother and father co-sponsor. I told him that I had my 2008 taxes, but they did not yet. I asked if that was a problem. He said no, and that I could write a page attached to the I-134 explaining this. Further I explained that because of my dad's job, and his employer was unsupportive of helping his son immigrate a foreign national, and so they wrote him an employment letter, but wouldn't sign their name to it. He said I could just write that in the letter to and attach it to it, explaining that, and everything would be ok. I had both my parents do a separate I-134, since I know I only need one co-sponsor, but they did file taxes together, so just to be safe. He said everything was good. I had every I-134 including mine hand filled out, and not typed. Everything was notarized. I did write this letter that he told me to write, but I did not have it notorized, and never attended ACS.

3. Just for kicks, I asked about chat history. I told him that we communiate by Skype chat and video phone. The VO said, yeah, so does everybody else. I agreed, and I asked what was sufficient printed chat history to bring to the interview. He didn't really give a good answer, so I said, is it ok to just print maybe a couple pages from each month? He said this would be fine, and that again I could write an attached letter explaining what I provide, which I did. I thought to have it notorized, but I didn't... and the letter wasn't even asked for are needed to be given. Read later down.

After this, I was finished, and he told me that I look very professional and prepared. He wouldn't expect any less from whoever I chose as my fiance. He told me that I should tell my fiance not to be nervous, just be calm, relaxed, and everything will be just fine. He also said he would mark that I had attended ACH. (I didn't ask for this, but maybe everyone expects this, like brownie points?) He held onto my passport for a minute before giving it back and took a breather and laughed with me. My questions were very light and easy, compared to the person he talked with before me. I had assumed he was given a white slip because he was quite upset and I overheard some things the guy was saying before I got my turn at the GUZ window. I thanked the VO for his time and left. I felt very good after this. I don't know if ACH has any help to any case, but it boosted my confidence, which I shared with Wendy, so I do give it that credit.

The rest of the week we prepared our case stuff, and took photos at a wedding studio. We played tennis and other random things in between meals to kill the tension and have some fun.

Our case file was in big pink rubber folder and contained the things we thought our case might get asked for. The key things we provided were:

Skype call logs (not asked for)

Skype chat logs (not asked for)

Travel tickets and receipts for multiple trips (not asked for)

Letters and things mailed (not asked for)

Letters of support written by my parents (not asked for)

A photo with my parents and the support letters (not asked for)

My 2008 taxes and w2-s (not asked for)

A letter explaining the things I talked about during ACH (not notorized and not asked for)

A book of photos we put together (asked for) (also made pink for good luck!)

http://i40.tinypic.com/rk7q87.jpg

As you can see, they didn't ask for anything. All they did was ask Wendy questions. The ONLY item they wanted to see was our photos, and it was a good thing that we spent a good detailed time, making a photo presentation book. Wendy said that the VO looked at it, but not even really, just quickly thumbing through it.

The interview day started for us at 6AM on 03/02. We got up, I got ready, and I ate a quick breakfast while Wendy readied. We left at 7AM, making a quick stop at the 7-11 across the street for juice, and some new socks for Wendy. We got to the Consulate at 7:15AM and began our wait in line. We were let in easy, and headed upstairs where she was let past security, and I headed to the infamous coffee shop for the most overpriced cup of Dole orange juice I will ever pay for in my life. 49 yuan. No refills please. When I sat down, it was about 7:50AM. I knew I would be there for awhile, so I made myself comforatable. There wasn't anyone to talk to, so I watched the people coming down most of the morning. I saw people with blue and white and also pink... it was sometimes a guessing game to think who got what.

Wendy's interview was done by the same VO I had, we think, and it was done in all English. She was asked...

Who applied the visa for you?

When did you first know each other?

When you first meet?

For how long did he stay?

When he was in China how to spend your time?

Does he live with parents?

Can I have look a look of your pictures? (The VO didn't look to hard through the photos, thumbing through them quickly, with the exception of smiling at some of our tennis photos, and having a quick laugh at Wendy explaining my countryside China experiences.)

http://i44.tinypic.com/2e14ne1.jpg

Will you live with your fiance and his parents? (It was actually their idea. :D )

Where does real mother live? (My real parents divorced when I was very young.)

Does he have other siblings? (I do have three step-brothers.)

What is his father's job?

What is Dylan's job?

VO said that everything is fine. There is only one problem. Your fiance's income is not enough, you need to a co-sponsor. Wendy replied that both my father and step-mother prepared an I-134. This is where Wendy took the opportunity to pass the letter of support my step-mother wrote to the VO. Wendy had given my step-mother's I-134 and my I-134 to the worker at the Consulate prior to her interview, with 3 years of transcripts (2005. 2006, and 2007) for both of us. He read the support letter quickly, and didn't look at the photo we took with it. Wendy said as well, that my father also wrote a letter and provided a I-134. The VO said that everything was ok, and then handed the letter back to Wendy. Asking some more questions...

What is his step-mother's name?

What is his father's name?

What was your job? (The VO knew Wendy's company.)

What kind of work did you do there?

At this time another staff member passed her VO to ask a few questions. While talking to the other staff member, the VO pulled out a pink slip and held it while talking. After approximately two minutes of talking to with the other staff member, he asked Wendy for her passport and congratulated her. Wendy says that the VO seemed a bit serious, because he didn't realize we had our co-sponsor documents, and seemed ready to give us a blue slip. But after he realized we had everything ready, he lightened up and seemed very happy, with an easier converation. Although Wendy said she felt very relaxed from the start of the interview, like a normal chat. She wasn't as nervous as she had prepared herself to be.

Wendy came down to me at the coffee shop about 11AM with a huge smile on her face. I think was trying to hide it, but it didn't work from me or anyone in the coffee shop, because everyone was looking at her. Maybe it was because I was the first person sitting there all morning, and people were talking behind my back when I was sitting alone for so long. :P

http://i39.tinypic.com/5ca7w2.jpg

Any questions... feel free to ask! We will share more when we get around to it, and have more story to share. :P

Edited by Dylan W (see edit history)
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulation Wendy

:) :D :) :) :D

Congratulations and thanks for the write-up. I will relate your story to my fiancee and hope it helps relieve some of her nervousness. :D

and you too Dylan. :P

Dylan and Wendy...

Everyone on CFL has been waiting for this moment!

It gives me eXtreme pleasure and happiness to congratulate you both on your forth coming back to the USA and your future marriage.

You both make a very beautiful couple.

May you both have double happiness!

Andrew

http://i37.tinypic.com/11jcj78.jpg