Buying a new Computer

Guest Tony n Terrific

Everyone here has given some good advice. Here are somethings that I tell those that come to me for computer advice. First you need to decide what you are going to use the computer for. Is it for gaming, surfing, both or work. That will lead you to what you NEED for a CPU and graphics card. Memory is cheap, but you need enough to support your OS, 2G is good, but 4G is much better. The other big thing to consider is this:

There is 2 places that you will be able to see how well your computer operates. The monitor and what is printed. Not much to say if you buy some very nice computer and display it on some old 17" monitor.

CPU speed is a good consideration. But unless your some big programmer, you probably don't need the top of the line CPU. Mid to upper level dual or quad core.

I have two computers with XP and 2 with Vista. I like them both (the OSs).

Everyone here has given some good advice. Here are somethings that I tell those that come to me for computer advice. First you need to decide what you are going to use the computer for. Is it for gaming, surfing, both or work. That will lead you to what you NEED for a CPU and graphics card. Memory is cheap, but you need enough to support your OS, 2G is good, but 4G is much better. The other big thing to consider is this:

There is 2 places that you will be able to see how well your computer operates. The monitor and what is printed. Not much to say if you buy some very nice computer and display it on some old 17" monitor.

CPU speed is a good consideration. But unless your some big programmer, you probably don't need the top of the line CPU. Mid to upper level dual or quad core.

Well I would like to see a credible article that can justify with XP or Vista more than 2GB RAM. Special applications aside, we are talking about a typical user here

Well I would like to see a credible article that can justify with XP or Vista more than 2GB RAM. Special applications aside, we are talking about a typical user here

I use the Firefox web browser at work, which with all the addons and extensions and plugins I have installed is a huge memory hog. 5 or 6 windows with 8 or 10 tabs each, and I am up to over a gigabyte. Add in a chat client or 2, a bookeeeping application, and yeah I think you would start encroaching on a 2 gig limit.

Now I browse with Google Chrome, which is smoking fast and very lightweight, I think it uses like 1/4 the RAM. I can't wait until the Linux version come out, I will never go back to Firefox. Well, maybe if the reachitect that POS from the ground up.

QUOTE(MikeXiao @ Mar 2 2009, 06:27 PM)

With the price of memory, I would always opt for 4G over 2G. Regardless of any article, surfing with multiple windows open, or just running multiple programs, the extra memory will aid performance. Now if you are a one website at a time, or one program at a time user, then yes 2G will work just fine.

If you're thinking laptop, daughter has a one of those boat anchor wide screen units, Acer. Seems ok, but the HDD died once. I got my wife a regular size unit, Thinkpad T-43 which is overkill for her needs but is one sweet machine. Myself, I like the new mini units also know as netbooks. mine is the Lenovo Ideapad S10 (blue) and this thing is quick as the T43. I am on airflights alot and this thing is perfect. As for desktops, haven't owned one since my Imac.

Guest Tony n Terrific

I finally bought a new computer. The remanufacture one I could have purchased was sold. When you snooze you looze.

Anyway I am happy with my purchase and it is so superior to may old one it is not funny. I guess 7 years from now I will be writing the same thing about our new one in 2016.

Many, many thanks to all who gave information to me.

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)

http://i41.tinypic.com/343razr.jpg

This is my wife's new computer. I bought a motherboard with dual Xeon 2.8gHz CPU's. Forgot the CPU fans, and the places I checked with locally didn't carry them. It requires ECC memory, so I had to order 2 GB's of that. It didn't fit in my full size tower, so I had to slice out the 5 1/4 and 3 1/2" cages It required a second CPU power connection, so I had to order an adapter for that. Didn't work on Windows XP Home, so I had to upgrade to Windows XP Pro. Disks (over 138 GB - confusing as heck until you figure that out) didn't work until it had downloaded Service Pack 2.

Anyway, it's a real screamer.

I finally bought a new computer. The remanufacture one I could have purchased was sold. When you snooze you looze.

Anyway I am happy with my purchase and it is so superior to may old one it is not funny. I guess 7 years from now I will be writing the same thing about our new one in 2016.

Wei - maybe donate the old one to Tsap ? He left his winders 98 box back in Pennsyltucky...

Guest Tony n Terrific

Wei - maybe donate the old one to Tsap ? He left his winders 98 box back in Pennsyltucky...

I'll donate it to him if he pays the shipping. Mine was Windows XP 2000. Seriously computers are becoming like VCRs now in price. Why make a major repair when you can by a new one for a few bucks more?

:rolleyes:

Tony - I'd be happy to pay shipping to the enclave in Pennsyltucky (not ChinaTucky).

send me a pm - we can set it up this weekend, prolly on sunday after I've recovered from da jetlag.

http://i41.tinypic.com/343razr.jpg

This is my wife's new computer. I bought a motherboard with dual Xeon 2.8gHz CPU's. Forgot the CPU fans, and the places I checked with locally didn't carry them. .....

Anyway, it's a real screamer.

Congratulations on your screamer. Sounds like you may have had to do some screaming to get it up and running but it's good you are happy with the finished product.

I've had very good luck buying computers, computer parts, pc and camera memory cards, mp3 players and all sots of electronic gear by mail order from www.newegg.com

They are reliable, have good prices and most important to me - there are plenty of reviews from other regular users telling you how happy they were with the purchase. I avoid buying anything without good reviews and this site has helped me greatly.

Often they have free shipping deals and special deals that are bundled. DO NOT pay for the upgraded shipping unless you absolutely need it overnight. The regular shipping gets there plenty fast enough (usually 2-3 days for me in Florida) and I have never had an issue with the packaging or any damage in transit.

As for a local store if you live in a large city CompUSA has good prices. I find the computer advice there better than Best Buy. Having said that I think Newegg.com more often has the better prices.

I've had very good luck buying computers, computer parts, pc and camera memory cards, mp3 players and all sots of electronic gear by mail order from www.newegg.com

They are reliable, have good prices and most important to me - there are plenty of reviews from other regular users telling you how happy they were with the purchase. I avoid buying anything without good reviews and this site has helped me greatly.

Often they have free shipping deals and special deals that are bundled. DO NOT pay for the upgraded shipping unless you absolutely need it overnight. The regular shipping gets there plenty fast enough (usually 2-3 days for me in Florida) and I have never had an issue with the packaging or any damage in transit.

As for a local store if you live in a large city CompUSA has good prices. I find the computer advice there better than Best Buy. Having said that I think Newegg.com more often has the better prices.

Agreed, Newegg and CompUSA have great deals. There is a CompUSA about ten minutes form me.