Name Change during Naturalization

Darrell I don't think a judge is even involved. You simply fill out the N-400 section on whether or not you want to change your name. Once you have the naturalization certificate you can get a passport. I would presume that you can also use the naturalization certificate to have the name changed on the Social Security card and drivers licence/state ID card.

Edit, after further research this is what I've come up with. If it is simply changing her maiden name to married name a marriage certificate should suffice. If the oath ceremony is in front of a Judge it is usually taken care of then.

http://forums.immigration.com/showpost.php...mp;postcount=16

saara, I am not sure if I understand your question correctly but if you are changing your name while filing your N400, this is how it goes: When you mention name change in your N400 application, fill out the appropriate section with new name, rest is taken care of for you.

During your oath, usually in a court in front of a Judge with everyone with name change request (They alwasy try to schedule them together), you will be handed your NC and Name change doc/court paper, which you take to SSA, MVA/DMV, Bank and so forth where you need your name to be changed.

So answer to you 2nd question is 'Yes', it should be done at court before you go anywhere. Hope this helps.

http://www.uscitizenship.info/en_US/faq/ci...hip/ans/g43.jsp

Can you change your name when you naturalize?

You can change your name as part of your naturalization if a court in your area conducts naturalization oath ceremonies. Otherwise no name change can be recorded on your Certificate of Naturalization unless you already changed your name legally (such as by marriage) before completing the naturalization process.

If you decide to change your name, you will be required to complete a Petition for Name Change during your interview. Petitioning the court to change your name may delay the date of your oath ceremony, in some cases. If you petition to change your name, the new name will not be legally binding until after your oath ceremony. The new name will appear on your Certificate of Naturalization.

The U.S. of Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly known as the INS) does not process petitions for a name change after naturalization. However, you still may change your name after naturalization by other legal means.

I believe he was menaing it as a joke. As much as you tired to keep it just related to your specfic sitution it still got a little off.

I am intrested in this thread as well due to my wife thinking about becoming a US citizen, thus i would change her name in the naturalizations process instead of changing the green card name. Kill 2 with one stone, type thing.

I believe he was menaing it as a joke. As much as you tired to keep it just related to your specfic sitution it still got a little off.

I am intrested in this thread as well due to my wife thinking about becoming a US citizen, thus i would change her name in the naturalizations process instead of changing the green card name. Kill 2 with one stone, type thing.

Yes it was not intended to insult I found it entertaining how religiously you kept it on track.

Darrell I don't think a judge is even involved. You simply fill out the N-400 section on whether or not you want to change your name. Once you have the naturalization certificate you can get a passport. I would presume that you can also use the naturalization certificate to have the name changed on the Social Security card and drivers licence/state ID card.

Edit, after further research this is what I've come up with. If it is simply changing her maiden name to married name a marriage certificate should suffice. If the oath ceremony is in front of a Judge it is usually taken care of then.

http://forums.immigration.com/showpost.php...mp;postcount=16

saara, I am not sure if I understand your question correctly but if you are changing your name while filing your N400, this is how it goes: When you mention name change in your N400 application, fill out the appropriate section with new name, rest is taken care of for you.

During your oath, usually in a court in front of a Judge with everyone with name change request (They alwasy try to schedule them together), you will be handed your NC and Name change doc/court paper, which you take to SSA, MVA/DMV, Bank and so forth where you need your name to be changed.

So answer to you 2nd question is 'Yes', it should be done at court before you go anywhere. Hope this helps.

http://www.uscitizenship.info/en_US/faq/ci...hip/ans/g43.jsp

Can you change your name when you naturalize?

You can change your name as part of your naturalization if a court in your area conducts naturalization oath ceremonies. Otherwise no name change can be recorded on your Certificate of Naturalization unless you already changed your name legally (such as by marriage) before completing the naturalization process.

If you decide to change your name, you will be required to complete a Petition for Name Change during your interview. Petitioning the court to change your name may delay the date of your oath ceremony, in some cases. If you petition to change your name, the new name will not be legally binding until after your oath ceremony. The new name will appear on your Certificate of Naturalization.

The U.S. of Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly known as the INS) does not process petitions for a name change after naturalization. However, you still may change your name after naturalization by other legal means.

Thanks the second link is what I was looking for.