Name Change during Naturalization

Ying changed her when she filed for her 10 year card, keeping her family name, at my insistance, as her middle name.

Again, thanks, but this answer is irrelevant.

I am looking for name change applied for on, and only on, the Naturalization application during the Citizenship process.

The application asks for the name you will use. The naturalization application gives people a chance to change their names legally. Mostly this is used to take a name easier for Americans to say. By the time of naturalization many people have adopted nick names at work or socially they want to make their real name.

Thanks Dan. I understand how it's done. And why.

I was hoping to hear from people such as Tine who have actually changed their spouse's name during Naturalization. I was looking for real, historical tales. Particularly from any member (old timer) willing to share if they had trouble during this process.

Well, you have to be an old timer to have finished Naturalization. hahahaha. As defined, by me, of course.

Thanks Dan. I understand how it's done. And why.

I was hoping to hear from people such as Tine who have actually changed their spouse's name during Naturalization. I was looking for real, historical tales. Particularly from any member (old timer) willing to share if they had trouble during this process.

Well, you have to be an old timer to have finished Naturalization. hahahaha. As defined, by me, of course.

I filled out the papers for a friend with the English first name I gave her when she first came to the USA. There was no problem. I also recommended that she keep her Chinese first name as the middle name to make things easier in China. She kept her Chinese family name.

Ying changed her when she filed for her 10 year card, keeping her family name, at my insistance, as her middle name.

Again, thanks, but this answer is irrelevant.

I am looking for name change applied for on, and only on, the Naturalization application during the Citizenship process.

Hardly irrelevant.... a name change is a name change whether you do it when you adjust status or apply for citizenship. We chose to do it when she adjusted her status so that all her legal ID is now in her married name while she waits for for her citizenship to go through.

Hardly irrelevant....

And which part of the question "name change DURING NATURALIZATION" is it that you can't figure out?

No need to be insulting, just pointing out to others who are not as far as you might be in the process that there are other options out there that can be utilized earlier instead of waiting for the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Even with the Nazi like guiding to keep this on topic, I have not found much info in this thread. So I will ask with a bit more focus.

We have sent in the N-400 and filled in the area for name change. However from what I understand the judge does not change the name they just sign the name change petition you need to file with you state. I have the forms for name change in my state so does she bring them with her or file them etc. We are changing her whole name first, last and middle.

her name = a b

my name = d e f

her nickname= c

her new name = c b f

Make sense?