Nonstop Newark to Shanghai service starts March 25, 2009

An airline can list a flight as "non-stop" as long as the flight number doesn't change. "Non-stop" in airline lingo mean the flight doesn't terminate before the advertised final destination.

So, a flight from Houston to Tulsa, to Chicago, to Newark to Beijing could be a non-stop flight as long as the flight number designation stays with the continuing leg of the flight.

non-stop explained and answered, thanks

Newark to Hong Kong definite non-stop, fly over the North Pole, watch it melt, about 15 hours fly time.. Shanghai should be about the same fly time.

Unless someone knows otherwise, this sounds like the best/only non-stop from Philly area to Guangzhou area... what Airline is offering this route? Thanks!

Newark to Hong Kong definite non-stop, fly over the North Pole, watch it melt, about 15 hours fly time.. Shanghai should be about the same fly time.

Unless someone knows otherwise, this sounds like the best/only non-stop from Philly area to Guangzhou area... what Airline is offering this route? Thanks!

I did some searching & found this route on Continental - $678 Roundtrip - sweet!!

Seems like all the airlines are trying to rain on Continental's parade. All airlines that fly to Shanghai are now in the $775 - $950 range depending on where your departure city is.

ya, AA recently has 888 with tax, iah-ord-pvg, round trip. ug ug.

Currently I'm looking at heathrow to wuhan, is different world o fares.

Nonstop Newark to Shanghai service starts March 25, 2009*

Enjoy low introductory fares and 10,000 bonus miles

Effective March 25, 2009, Continental Airlines will offer daily nonstop service to Shanghai from the New York Area. Round-trip fares from Newark/New York and Boston start at $777. From Houston, Cleveland and many other cities, find fares as low as $888 round trip.

Take advantage of our low fares to Shanghai and register to earn up to 10,000 OnePass® miles.

Earn 10,000 bonus miles on a BusinessFirst® round trip ticket

Earn 5,000 bonus miles on a full-fare Economy round trip ticket

Earn 2,500 bonus miles on an Economy round trip ticket

The OnePass mileage bonus applies for travel March 25 through May 31, 2009.

Thanks for the info! :ph34r:

But is it explained correctly? I have never been on a nonstop flight that stopped. Have you?

Actually, no..it isn't...I am going to correct myself in that the terms "non-stop" and "direct" are sometimes used, although incorrectly, to describe the same type of flight.

A direct flight is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include a stop over at an intermediate point. These are often confused with non-stop flights, which are direct flights involving no intermediate stops.

But is it explained correctly? I have never been on a nonstop flight that stopped. Have you?

No, it's not an explanation I would have thought up, I fly from Tampa to Newark, then to Beijing so for me it is non-stop from Newark

Edited by usaRichard (see edit history)

Wanna t6ake bets on whether this 'non-stop' flight goes to Beijing first?

The "non-stop" flight from Houston to Beijing goes to Newark first and changes everything - plane crew and gate - there except for the flight #.

Yes/no so you are saying non stop is not non stop? I have no experience from Houston, only Newark to Beijing. If Continental says non-stop to Shanghai then you think it is 2 stops? I have never seen a flight that lists as non stop, but does indeed have two stops. Have you?

This is your (actual) non-stop from Newark to Beijing

You mean an actual (non-non stop) flight from Houston, not Newark. My flight from Newark is non stop. I did not fly thru Houston.

:ph34r: I suppose you could always fly to Houston first and then take the PHONY "non-stop" from Houston to Beijing :D

Interesting concept. Any previous use of the aircraft means that if I get on at Newark and fly to Beijing without stopping, I've stopped, even though I haven't stopped. So you are saying the only non-phony non-stop flight would be the first leg of the plane's maiden voyage, which is probably a flight from Boeing with no one aboard. All other voyages without stops are not non-stop because the plane flew somewhere else before...and stopped. I've never seen that restrictive a definition of non-stop but as i said it's an interesting way to think about it.

My simple mind thought that since I got on at Newark and didn't stop until Beijing, I had taken a non-stop flight but you're right, I'm sure that plane flew many places before and stopped. I've always assumed it meant whether the passengers had to stop and not whether the plane had ever stopped before.

:whistling: I suppose you could always fly to Houston first and then take the PHONY "non-stop" from Houston to Beijing :crazy:

Interesting concept. Any previous use of the aircraft means that if I get on at Newark and fly to Beijing without stopping, I've stopped, even though I haven't stopped. So you are saying the only non-phony non-stop flight would be the first leg of the plane's maiden voyage, which is probably a flight from Boeing with no one aboard. All other voyages without stops are not non-stop because the plane flew somewhere else before...and stopped. I've never seen that restrictive a definition of non-stop but as i said it's an interesting way to think about it.

My simple mind thought that since I got on at Newark and didn't stop until Beijing, I had taken a non-stop flight but you're right, I'm sure that plane flew many places before and stopped. I've always assumed it meant whether the passengers had to stop and not whether the plane had ever stopped before.

Not true. The "non-stop" from Houston stops in Newark, before changing planes and going on to Beijing.

Let's just say that what Continental calls a "non-stop" flight actually stops and changes planes in Newark, so your plane that you (and also anyone from Houston) takes from Newark to Beijing hadn't stopped anywhere before it gets to Beijing.

I pointed this out because I'm thinking that the "non-stop" to Shanghai may be the same type of "non-stop", with a stop in Beijing, prior to going on to Shanghai, although it may or may not involve a change of planes (perhaps (or perhaps not) to a Chinese airline?).

Get it?

No sarcasm needed.