Chinese drivers license

I was told by a chinese friend of mine that she is driving legally in Chicago IL using her Chinese drivers license. I didn't believe her. She told me that her husband had checked on this and found that she could legally drive in the US (using her Chinese drivers license) for up to 2 years. To validate her story - she told me that she was pulled over for speeding in Chicago a few weeks ago and that the police officer did not cite her for driving without a drivers license - that he only gave her a warning ticket for the speeding violation. She has been in the states for almost 2 years so far.

This all sounds a bit crazy to me because a Chinese drivers license is completely written in Chinese - How would an officer in the states even know it is a drivers license???

Does anybody know about this FOR REAL??? What is the TRUTH to thre use of a Chinese drivers license here in the states? Are some states different or do they all use the same guidelines?

Thanks,

Scott

I was told by a chinese friend of mine that she is driving legally in Chicago IL using her Chinese drivers license. I didn't believe her. She told me that her husband had checked on this and found that she could legally drive in the US (using her Chinese drivers license) for up to 2 years. To validate her story - she told me that she was pulled over for speeding in Chicago a few weeks ago and that the police officer did not cite her for driving without a drivers license - that he only gave her a warning ticket for the speeding violation. She has been in the states for almost 2 years so far.

This all sounds a bit crazy to me because a Chinese drivers license is completely written in Chinese - How would an officer in the states even know it is a drivers license???

Does anybody know about this FOR REAL??? What is the TRUTH to thre use of a Chinese drivers license here in the states? Are some states different or do they all use the same guidelines?

Thanks,

Scott

i live in georgia and my wife has a chinese dl. when we went to the dmv we were told she could legally drive for 30 days with her chinese dl. every state may be different but this is what we were told. good luck.

Florida has this to say: "International Drivers

Florida honors a valid foreign driver's license with an international driving permit. Once your foreign license expires, you must apply for an FL learners permit and pass all required testing to receive a driver's license."

Now, about the lady we know who claims 3 speeding violations and an accident. All on her now (at least) 2 year old Chinese license. No, I do not know when it expires. That's definitely all her business. She said something similar to "I got the blah-blah from the embassy. So it's ok if I still drive."