Chinese New Year ...

the red decorations are starting to show up all over town :huh: and the flowers are being arranged. I was here for four months last year at this time also, even though I had been to China many times before, that was my first Chinese New Year here.

A few days before you'd hear fireworks every now and again, the anticipation of the special day made it too tempting for some to resist setting off a few. About ten minutes to midnight the barrage began, thousands for fireworks being set off all across the city of Shenzhen all at the same time, not slowing in pace for about a half hour. Some of the fireworks were huge ... an enormous flash of light about a mile away and I could feel the concussion of the blast ... the car alarms in the parking lot below our home whining in response ... surely these were legal!

The fireworks continued every night until I left a few days before the Spring Festival's official end. Haiqing told me the last night was much like the first, thousands of fireworks going off to signal the Gods to return to heaven until next years celebration.

I'll be experiencing my second Chinese New Year in China this coming weekend and I'm wondering if it will be similar to last year. I know the dumplings will be prepared :lol: as the arrangements with her mom have already been made. As for the rest, I won't know for sure as Haiqing and I won't be in Shenzhen, we're leaving to go up north the end of this week to celebrate with family :blink: I will get to experience Chinese New Year in another city which I'm looking forward to and we'll be back here for the close of the Spring Festival in a couple weeks so I will get to experience that which I missed last year. :)

Right now there is a small group of about six children between the ages of 8 and 12 setting off fireworks in the driveway that leads up to our building. These aren't small little "snap" or sparklers ... these have a good bang to them! :huh: They've been at it for several hours now ... not an adult in sight ... reminds me of being a kid :huh:

Have a terrific day everyone!

Bob

the red decorations are starting to show up all over town :huh: and the flowers are being arranged. I was here for four months last year at this time also, even though I had been to China many times before, that was my first Chinese New Year here.

A few days before you'd hear fireworks every now and again, the anticipation of the special day made it too tempting for some to resist setting off a few. About ten minutes to midnight the barrage began, thousands for fireworks being set off all across the city of Shenzhen all at the same time, not slowing in pace for about a half hour. Some of the fireworks were huge ... an enormous flash of light about a mile away and I could feel the concussion of the blast ... the car alarms in the parking lot below our home whining in response ... surely these were legal!

The fireworks continued every night until I left a few days before the Spring Festival's official end. Haiqing told me the last night was much like the first, thousands of fireworks going off to signal the Gods to return to heaven until next years celebration.

I'll be experiencing my second Chinese New Year in China this coming weekend and I'm wondering if it will be similar to last year. I know the dumplings will be prepared :lol: as the arrangements with her mom have already been made. As for the rest, I won't know for sure as Haiqing and I won't be in Shenzhen, we're leaving to go up north the end of this week to celebrate with family :blink: I will get to experience Chinese New Year in another city which I'm looking forward to and we'll be back here for the close of the Spring Festival in a couple weeks so I will get to experience that which I missed last year. :)

Right now there is a small group of about six children between the ages of 8 and 12 setting off fireworks in the driveway that leads up to our building. These aren't small little "snap" or sparklers ... these have a good bang to them! :huh: They've been at it for several hours now ... not an adult in sight ... reminds me of being a kid :huh:

Have a terrific day everyone!

Bob

Makes me wounder how many of these kids are hurt from fireworks.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I just added another topic about Chinese New Year in the Culture forum, but I add it here, as it seems more appropriate.

It's finally happening. For all of us who have been waiting for the Cows to come home, let it be known that they are on their way!

Here's wishing everyone a wonderful and happy Chinese New Year. May this year be the happiest and most prosperous yet!

ÐÂÄê¿ìÀÖ

http://i43.tinypic.com/30djjx0.jpg

I've not yet been in China for the New Year but 3 years ago we did arrive in Guangzhou on the evening of National Day, October 1st. A friend picked us up at the airport and then we drove through much of the city to get to our hotel. It seemed that not one person had stayed home that evening. Everywhere you looked there were throngs of people celebrating, the sidewalks were filled, every restaurant we drove past was packed with people enjoying the birthday of their nation together. It was certainly far livelier than any of the celebrations we have in the US for special days... :toot: :happydance:

Our wishes for a great year for everyone... :D :D Roger & Lu Li

Years ago I flew into Beijing on chinese newyears eve. Fireworks were going off around the plane. Not close mind you but to watch them explode at that level was indeed different. I was headed to Tianjin (TEDA) and an american family was onboard. Schoolteachers arriving back from the christmas holiday in america. The husband said the year before the holiday inn was on fire from fireworks as they flew into beijing.One sight that stood out in my mind was a roll of fireworks exploding up the side of a 4-5 story building. I understood that the fireworks were pretty exspensive for the average chinese to afford. I wish everyone on this board could be over there at least once during this time.

hi,

i'm leaving for taishan china on 1/22 to celebrate the CNY, our first holiday together since marriage, and looking forward to it very much. my CNY has always been in new york; however, i guess this is the REAL CNY, the mother of all CNY.

i wish everybody a happy and safe chinese new year.

ps. my wife brought 100usd of fireworks and its waiting for me to set it off. :rolleyes: i been itching for it since mayor rudy banned fireworks in 1996. :victory:

Edited by george lee (see edit history)

hi,

i'm leaving for taishan china on 1/22 to celebrate the CNY, our first holiday together since marriage, and i'm looking forward to it. my CNY was always in new york but i guess this is the REAL CNY. the mother of all CNY.

i wish everybody a happy and safe chinese new year.

ps. my wife brought 100usd of fireworks and its waiting for me to set it off. :lol: i been itching for it since mayor rudy banned fireworks in 1996. :(

Take ear plugs... :huh:

Thanks everyone for sharing ... I love reading your stories, thoughts and hopes for Chinese New Year and the future.

Yesterday the kids were at it again with the fire crackers while a couple of men in suits unrolled long, narrow red posters with Chinese sayings and stuck them to both sides of the entryways to all the buildings in the complex. They meticulously unrolled them, careful not to bend them while removing the multitudes of waxed paper tabs covering the sticky adhesive strips ... these were immediately disposed of by throwing them on the ground :huh: :blink: ;)

Now one would think how odd that they put up these beautiful decorations and right in front of them on the ground are dozens of pieces of waxed paper strips littering the scene :sosad: ... but one only has to be patient in China ... several hours later the woman who sweeps the complex came by with her broom and dustpan to tidy up the mess :suck_kr: ... I've often compared China's way of doing things to an ant hill ... what appears to be mass confusion is really organized confusion and things do get done :lol:

I am so amused by and love the little differences here :P

Today it is quiet ... no firecrackers yet <_< but it's only early afternoon and the kids aren't home from school yet :D ... later I'm sure they'll be at it again :mbounce:

Bob

Happy New Year to all, have a good time George, 2 years ago I was in Liuzhou for CNY, and fireworks were 24/7 for 1 week before and 1 week after NYD, but New Years Day was like a US finale 24/7. We took a 1 hour drive to a special Temple to light incense, and light our fireworks. We were hoping to have our interview close enough to CNY to visit the family again during the trip. Again, Happy New Year to All ! ! !

Mike & Yizhen

Years ago I flew into Beijing on chinese newyears eve. Fireworks were going off around the plane. Not close mind you but to watch them explode at that level was indeed different. I was headed to Tianjin (TEDA) and an american family was onboard. Schoolteachers arriving back from the christmas holiday in america. The husband said the year before the holiday inn was on fire from fireworks as they flew into beijing.One sight that stood out in my mind was a roll of fireworks exploding up the side of a 4-5 story building. I understood that the fireworks were pretty exspensive for the average chinese to afford. I wish everyone on this board could be over there at least once during this time.

I'm in TEDA now and fireworks have been blazing for the past 2 weeks, the other day we were walking home from Tesco when we saw 3 men flee from a gate, I wasn't paying much attention to them but luckily Yakun was because they had just lit a string of firecrackers so we both dashed across the street. I'm still having a bit of trouble not dodging imaginary bullets :P

We wont be here for the festival though, I'm preparing to meet the parents (we just watched the movie B) ) in Hebei, leaving on Saturday! We bought a Microwave for mom and I'm giving dad a straight razor.

I hope everyone enjoys their time with the ones they love, and for those that cant make sure to take extra time on the web cam this weekend! :D

Edited by carl.hops (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

I'm in TEDA now and fireworks have been blazing for the past 2 weeks, the other day we were walking home from Tesco when we saw 3 men flee from a gate, I wasn't paying much attention to them but luckily Yakun was because they had just lit a string of firecrackers so we both dashed across the street. I'm still having a bit of trouble not dodging imaginary bullets :blink:

We wont be here for the festival though, I'm preparing to meet the parents (we just watched the movie :) ) in Hebei, leaving on Saturday! We bought a Microwave for mom and I'm giving dad a straight razor.

I hope everyone enjoys their time with the ones they love, and for those that cant make sure to take extra time on the web cam this weekend! <_<

There is no doubt that the Chinese love fireworks. I guess there are different laws from city to city as my wife tells me there are stronger restrictions on their use in Shenzhen. Here in Nanjing, you can hear them virtually all the time, as whatever restaurant wants to get your attention, wedding, or special occasion, someone lets off a huge string of stuff.

I've noticed that most Chinese workers are usually very focused on their work, and are rarely if ever seen leaving work early. Yesterday, Thursday before the one-week holiday, I noticed the office was clearing out. Many of the people are leaving early to get a head start on their vacations. The streets were alive everywhere yesterday afternoon with people carrying packages of all sorts after shopping.

I will be buying my first fireworks in China either later today or tomorrow and plan to join in the fun.