Contacting Congressman

I contacted my congressman's office and spoke to the person who deals with immigration. She told me to fax a letter and copies of each notification I have received in order for her to put in an inquery at the California Service Center.

Is this normal? I though I could just call and give them my case number.

Thanks,

Edited by HaoRan (see edit history)

Actually, I'm surprised that she didn't have you fill out a release form first, for her to help you, but that may be coming next.

But to answer your question, yes it is normal. She needs to see what language they've given you, and also she may be possibly looking for a contact name in anyof the documents.

Good luck!!

Confirming what Splinterman said. Also, call them back and have them fax the release form so that you can fax back everything at once. It will save a little time.

All they are going to do is look at the USCIS website and then type you a letter saying they are working on it, trust me I know whats happening there. They can do NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! been there doen that.

Confirming what Splinterman said. Also, call them back and have them fax the release form so that you can fax back everything at once. It will save a little time.

All they are going to do is look at the USCIS website and then type you a letter saying they are working on it, trust me I know whats happening there. They can do NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! been there doen that.

your congresswoman will have a case worker find the update for you, i'm pretty sure the case worker has her contacts in the service center.

I contacted my congressman's office and spoke to the person who deals with immigration. She told me to fax a letter and copies of each notification I have received in order for her to put in an inquery at the California Service Center.

Thanks,

frankly..if I were denied, I would be contacting my congressman's office and also my Senator's office....just my feeling.... :P

Tom and Ling

Guest Rob & Jin

to be honest, in the short time i have been here I have not seen anything come from contacting "elected representives" they seem to have NO infuence in family visas matters. oh apart from Top senaters, but you need to well hooked up with them or serving a publicity goal of theirs.

others may disagree :P

Thanks,

I contacted my Senators and Congressman to deal with a blue slip denial at GUZ. The case workers sounded very helpful, but after making an inquiry, GUZ just sent the Congressman at blow off letter. When I asked the case workers to reply, I was told there is nothing they can do and that they did not want to make the Consulate angry. But I think by writing them, you can summarize your issues and you will be making a record that could be useful later

I have written many letter to the Congressman and Senators... I did get replys from them and usually there was letter attached from the California Service Center. One Senator's employee actually gave me her number, she would check for me every so often.

Take my word, the benefit of writing them is you get documentation that you are trying to go through and follow the procedures. Keep all letters, they might come in handy lately. Hopefully not, but I ended up filing a complaint in Federal court to get my situation moving(the letters were evidence in the case)... but your case is probably much different than mine. Still keep all letters.

From looking at your timeline, it seems they dropped the ball months ago. hopefully they will give you an answer in the next month or so since they have your case in CSC now. CSC won't answer any qestion about your case until it is I beleive past the 6 months from them receiving it... I maybe wrong about the timing, it has been a while for me.

It seems now you are just waiting for your case to be answered by CSC.... curious, which Service Center did yuou initially file with, they held it for 6 months before transferring it :ph34r:

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

Thanks,

yeah its normal. I am going to agree with Brokenheart on this,as i have also used my congressman and senator,in all stages of this nightmare,they can do nothing,you will get from them,what you already know,frankly,trying to get the government officials to help is a waste of time,at least this is what i have found to be the case.Maybe you'll have better luck.

good luck

jimi

It was transferred from Vermont. I updated my timeline to reflect.

For the last 3-4 years, Vermont has been the fastest in the country... although that might have changed a little in the latter part of last year... still, waiting for 5 plus months for your NOA2 is a bit much. I beleive once it is past 6 months, you can request them look into it deeper. Unless they say you are in "background checks" as they did with me for 19 months, you should get your NOA2 soon. IF not, start to inquire with your Congressmen and Senators, it can't hurt. At least they will get a response from CSC.

USCIS & Homeland security need answer to no one.

While a senator's office might receive courtesy that a regular person doesn't, they have no real power to influence USCIS decisions.

That being said, if my petition had been denied beyond RFE resolution. I would have contacted my senator. I would have been trying anything I could think of...

USCIS & Homeland security need answer to no one.

While a senator's office might receive courtesy that a regular person doesn't, they have no real power to influence USCIS decisions.

Richard, I beg to differ. While you are right, the Senator or Congressman have no power against USCIS and DHS, they can solictit and receive a response which I received many times in the last 2 years. I also wrote to the President , his wife and the vice president to name just a few and received a response from all offices with the exception of the First Lady.

USCIS and Homeland Security can and will answer to a Federal Judge as I filed against USCIS,FBI,U.S. Attorney to name a few, last year and got my petition approved 2 weeks after filing papers(Writ of Mandamus) in U.S. District Court last year after waiting over 19 months for my NOA2.

The purpose of solicting help from the Senator and Congressman is to obtain not only a response from USCIS, but also evidence that you are doing everything possible to obtain your adjudication from USCIS.

Hopefully the OP doesn't have to go this route... it can be very costly(which I couldn't afford) or time consuming as it took me over 3 months to prepare my case. But if can be done if required.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)