Reasonible hotel close to Guangzhou airpost

I maybe could have searched for this but I am in a time pinch. I get into Guangzhou Thursday at 10:40 pm and need a place to stay. Next morning I need to find a ticket to Nanning and be on my way. Contacts, suggestions?

Thanks!

Michael

Michael,

I'd love to tell you I can remember their names, but I know that there are several large hotels just outside the airport on the road back to the city, maybe five minutes away in a taxi. Guangzhou airport is like any airport with lots of hotels surrounding it. I was there just last August and my flight arrived at 10:35 PM like yours. Jie and I were on a train to Liuzhou the next day, so we went to the first one we came to. The room was 150 RMB if I remember right. There's a hotel inside the airport, but it was over 1000 RMB a night and Jie just about had a cow :o when they told her the price, so we got a taxi and went on down the road.

Jeff

I suggest you just go across the road there and book at 'that' hotel. They even have heaters there. It's the ONLY hotel at the airport. All the rest require a drive.

'that' hotel, you ask ?? It's within walking distance, no taxi required. You can see it on the 1st level (if you can't, walk through to the other side of the airport, the short side) and you'll see the big bright lights. It's not cheap, but it's not as expensive as Shamian Island Hilton, either.

Find a Ticket to Nanning? grrr... http://english.ctrip.com

Here is 'that ' hotel - is the Novotel across the street from Bai Yun Airport:

http://hotels.english.ctrip.com/Domestic/S...Date=2009-01-16

Personally, I think the higher rate is ok , as you are AT the airport, no mucking about with taxis.

I'm not saying it's the best, or the cheapest, but - if time is of import, it IS the closest one, and they DO have heaters in the room.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

We stayed at the hotel that is just behind the airport and were able to walk from the hotel to the airport for our flight in the morning. The rooms were about $120/USD but it would have been a 300/night room in the states.

If you can afford it, I recommend it. The food was decent too.

Remember the Guangzhou airport is fairly new and I believe the Novatel that is listed as being near the airport is actually near the old airport. ...I think...

Edited by griz326 (see edit history)

I agree with what's been said. If money is no object stay at the airport hotel. They have big signs here and there.

However, money is an object. I would do what some of the locals do. That is, sleep on the airport bench.

On our last trip we stayed at a hotel about 5 minutes free mini-truck ride from the airport. The GuangSha Hotel. It's a relatively clean, quiet place to spend the night. Knowing Mandarin is probably a good thing. Granted, I had my wife with me, but I bet you could do it with some help from your SO.

Tel (86) 20 36067668

The challenge is how to call them to pick you up upstairs, door #6. I used my USA cell phone, wife did the talking. At that time of night there are a few people working at the hotel/book ticket counter on the departure level. Also, they know some English at the supervisor's desk near the "A" section departure check in. They can probably help you.

BTW, as I recall, the A section departures is where you will go to buy a ticket for Nanning. First thing in the morning. It is possible, with a supervisor's help, to use your USA cc to buy the ticket. You have to pay the 4%, or whatever, fee.

The 'real' money exchange window won't be open when you arrive, or when you want to depart. The thieves' window will be open and somebody with airport looking credentials will guide you right to them. They will be very happy to take your dollars at a rip off rate plus counterfeits. Beware.

My wife's home is in Huadu District of GZ, and her and her family live literally ten minutes from the Baiyun Airport entrance gate.

It is a good 45 mins to 1 hour + from Baiyun Airport into the Tianyu District of GZ where the Consulate is located, depending on traffic and weather conditions (I have made this trip from Huadu to downtown, on both the new and the old highways dozens of times).

Accordingly, we did not want a delay on the morning of the interview, so we stayed at a Hotel next to the Consulate. There are several within a two block range of GUZ. There are all prices, moderate to high.

I would recommend staying closer to the Consulate (walking distance) so as to relieve any stress on interview day, when the traffic is backed up like in GZ, just like downtown L.A. ;)

Many have stayed at the Grand Palace, moderate to low price, only two blocks for the Consulate, link attached:

http://www.sinohotelguide.com/guangzhou/palace/index.html

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Roger - why? the OP ain't having business with the US Consulate that day, just hopping through to get to Nanning the next day.

His title was 'Reasonible hotel close to Guangzhou airpost, Last flight in - early out' - somehow, that implied to me, that he had no interest in getting to the GUZ consulate at all.

But hey - perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps I'm having a senior moment.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Roger - why? the OP ain't having business with the US Consulate that day, just hopping through to get to Nanning the next day.

His title was 'Reasonible hotel close to Guangzhou airpost, Last flight in - early out' - somehow, that implied to me, that he had no interest in getting to the GUZ consulate at all.

But hey - perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps I'm having a senior moment.

Yes, I see. I misread the title. :) :D

Sorry if it caused anyone any confusion. But maybe for others who read all, it will be an added piece of info.