where to go for the medical exam

We went to the one on Shamian Island, they were able to do same day service. In our case the med centers were closed the week before our interview for spring festival, and re-opened the Sunday before our Monday interview so we needed same day service.

The area on Shamian Island is quite pleasant to spend the day waiting for the results, there is a Starbucks coffee, and several nice restaurants and shops to visit there.

The Guangzhou subway has a station at one end of the island, so is convenient to get to from the consulate by subway. I beleive the yellow line

We went to the one on Shamian Island, they were able to do same day service. In our case the med centers were closed the week before our interview for spring festival, and re-opened the Sunday before our Monday interview so we needed same day service.

The area on Shamian Island is quite pleasant to spend the day waiting for the results, there is a Starbucks coffee, and several nice restaurants and shops to visit there.

The Guangzhou subway has a station at one end of the island, so is convenient to get to from the consulate by subway. I beleive the yellow line

Hi Waterox,

We also went to Shamian Island and it is a good place to go.

Ling was a nurse and for some reason she did not want to go to the other place. Be aware that the DS-156 which is asked for, you can fill out the online forms but also fill out the forms in Chinese...you will get less hassle.....and since the consulate staff wants them filled out in Chinese...this will also save you some hassle.... :roller: :roller: :P :rotfl:

Tom and Ling

Hi Waterox,

Ling was a nurse and for some reason she did not want to go to the other place. Be aware that the DS-156 which is asked for, you can fill out the online forms but also fill out the forms in Chinese...you will get less hassle.....and since the consulate staff wants them filled out in Chinese...this will also save you some hassle.... :lol: :unsure: :P :D

Tom and Ling

This is not true - the Chinese forms are necessary - the English are not needed. USCONGUZ seems unclear here also

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=207951

The medical people often have their own standards for the forms, but I don't think we've heard of the screeners at the consulate rejecting a properly filled out form before

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Hi Waterox,

Ling was a nurse and for some reason she did not want to go to the other place. Be aware that the DS-156 which is asked for, you can fill out the online forms but also fill out the forms in Chinese...you will get less hassle.....and since the consulate staff wants them filled out in Chinese...this will also save you some hassle.... :lol: :unsure: :P :D

Tom and Ling

This is not true - the Chinese forms are necessary - the English are not needed. USCONGUZ seems unclear here also

The medical people often have their own standards for the forms, but I don't think we've heard of the screeners at the consulate rejecting a properly filled out form before

I think you mean the other way around. We did just the English DS-156 and left the Chinese version out.

I asked about this at the consulate at ACH and the answer was if can do the English forms, then just do the English forms.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=283693

Hi Waterox,

Tom and Ling

I think you mean the other way around. We did just the English DS-156 and left the Chinese version out.

I asked about this at the consulate at ACH and the answer was if can do the English forms, then just do the English forms.

That's what I remembered, and initially posted.

USCONGUZ, however, first posted that the forms should be done in Chinese, and then back-tracked when it was pointed out that an non-Chinese applicant may not speak Chinese.

It seems to all be a matter of expediency in getting past the medical workers and pre-screeners at the consulate.

Hi Waterox,

Ling was a nurse and for some reason she did not want to go to the other place. Be aware that the DS-156 which is asked for, you can fill out the online forms but also fill out the forms in Chinese...you will get less hassle.....and since the consulate staff wants them filled out in Chinese...this will also save you some hassle.... ;) ;) :D :D

Tom and Ling

USCONGUZ, however, first posted that the forms should be done in Chinese, and then back-tracked when it was pointed out that an non-Chinese applicant may not speak Chinese.

It seems to all be a matter of expediency in getting past the medical workers and pre-screeners at the consulate.

Randy and All,

If you have read my interview post, You would know about the two Forms.

At the medical...the medical staff wanted the DS-156 filled out in Chinese, but I convinced them to take the DS-156 that were filled out in English only.

At Ling's interview...when they (the consulate staff) opened the medical envelope and found only the DS-156 filled out in only English..they made Ling find me and they wanted the DS-156 filled out in Chinese with telegraphic codes. So we finally filled out the DS-156 in both English and Chinese,,and it would be advisable to fill them out both ways to save you the hassle of doing it during the interview...and I just went through the interview.

And Randy...I said that the Chinese DS-156 forms were important and that they needed to be filled out because the consulate staff insisted they wanted the forms filled out in Chinese.

Tom and Ling

Hi Waterox,

Ling was a nurse and for some reason she did not want to go to the other place. Be aware that the DS-156 which is asked for, you can fill out the online forms but also fill out the forms in Chinese...you will get less hassle.....and since the consulate staff wants them filled out in Chinese...this will also save you some hassle.... :D :D :P :D

Tom and Ling

Randy and All,

At the medical...the medical staff wanted the DS-156 filled out in Chinese, but I convinced them to take the DS-156 that were filled out in English only.

At Ling's interview...when they (the consulate staff) opened the medical envelope and found only the DS-156 filled out in only English..they made Ling find me and they wanted the DS-156 filled out in Chinese with telegraphic codes. So we finally filled out the DS-156 in both English and Chinese,,and it would be advisable to fill them out both ways to save you the hassle of doing it during the interview...and I just went through the interview.

And Randy...I said that the Chinese DS-156 forms were important and that they needed to be filled out because the consulate staff insisted they wanted the forms filled out in Chinese.

Tom and Ling

We didn't use the one on Shamian Island. The other one was closer to home. They did say both english and chinese would be needed and advised me to do this. I was in the waiting room. My wife was a doctor at the same hospital so a co-worker there came out and talked to me. Make sure you have both at interview time. We have seen some who only needed english others chinese. Maybe it depends who she sees that day. Realy don't know.

Randy and All,

Tom and Ling

There are several layers of pre-screening that occur before the interview. The first is at the medical exam. The second is at the consulate building to get in to the consulate. The third is performed by a (usually) Chinese consulate employee. This is where the medical envelope is opened.

Any of these layers can give you trouble, and they have been known (especially the medical people) to NOT follow consulate policy. In fact, they've (the fourth floor guards) been known to cause visa denials by not allowing the parents to attend their children's interview.

Like the consular official (USCONGUZ) says, you are not required to fill anything out in Chinese if you don't speak Chinese. The two sets of forms are for convenience.

The fourth layer, of course, is the interview. Either English or Chinese is fine for this first contact with an actual official.

It's up to you to cut through the first three layers as best you can, which may, of course, include filling out both forms in Chinese and/or English. It is NOT a requirement for the visa. But getting past the layers of pre-screening is.

It's up to you to get there as expediently as you can

Guest Rob & Jin

Hi Waterox,

Ling was a nurse and for some reason she did not want to go to the other place. Be aware that the DS-156 which is asked for, you can fill out the online forms but also fill out the forms in Chinese...you will get less hassle.....and since the consulate staff wants them filled out in Chinese...this will also save you some hassle.... :yay: :partytime2: :P :D

Tom and Ling

Randy and All,

Tom and Ling

we filed out both versions as well . :mbounce: