Renewing a travel Visa in China

Guest Tony n Terrific

As Bill mentioned:

The registration thing and keeping track of foreigners (or maybe just Americans, I don't know) was taken much more seriously the last time I was in China.

The CP people stopped at our home to 'check on me' four times. During previous visits, they never checked (that I was aware of).

Hotel workers were checking visas, searching luggage, and making formal reports about who was staying at their hotels.

I'm going back again in May. I hope things will be getting back to a more relaxed state again. But, from my experience, when things go in this direction, they tend not to get better.

It's too bad but it's making retirement in Malaysia look like the only alternative... :smartass: I'm just not going to put up with endless visa hassles... :clapping:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Bill mentioned:

The registration thing and keeping track of foreigners (or maybe just Americans, I don't know) was taken much more seriously the last time I was in China.

The CP people stopped at our home to 'check on me' four times. During previous visits, they never checked (that I was aware of).

Hotel workers were checking visas, searching luggage, and making formal reports about who was staying at their hotels.

I'm going back again in May. I hope things will be getting back to a more relaxed state again. But, from my experience, when things go in this direction, they tend not to get better.

It's too bad but it's making retirement in Malaysia look like the only alternative... :whip: I'm just not going to put up with endless visa hassles... :blink:

With the price of a Chinese Visa up to $130 a pop, wouldn't it just make plain sense to go for a Multi-Entry L Visa? A notice I read on the Chinese Consulate's Website states they are availabe for up to 24 months. :huh:

Since I'm headed for Beijing this January for a 5 week stay, and we usually go back to Beijing at least once a year....I figured this was a way to beat the cost of another visa. Funny thing though, when I printed out the Visa Application Form, the longest option for a Multi-Entry Visa was 12 months. So I just penciled in the 24 month option and created a box which I checked. :lol:

I submitted the application to the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco and the processor looked at it and matter-of-factly told me "No". Hey, can't say I didn't try. :threeques:

She did look over our marriage registration booklets and agreed to issue me a Multi-Entry L Visa for 1 year with 60 day stay each entry. Makes me happy and is a step in the right direction. If we need to go back for any family emergency or some situation where we need to do something with our home......no problem. :D

Now what's all this talk about registrating with the local police? I've never had to worry about this before. We'll have to find out what the situation is in our neighborhood, then do what is right....I guess. :Dah:

PapaBear B)

As Bill mentioned:

It's too bad but it's making retirement in Malaysia look like the only alternative... :unsure: I'm just not going to put up with endless visa hassles... :blink:

With the price of a Chinese Visa up to $130 a pop, wouldn't it just make plain sense to go for a Multi-Entry L Visa? A notice I read on the Chinese Consulate's Website states they are availabe for up to 24 months. :huh:

Since I'm headed for Beijing this January for a 5 week stay, and we usually go back to Beijing at least once a year....I figured this was a way to beat the cost of another visa. Funny thing though, when I printed out the Visa Application Form, the longest option for a Multi-Entry Visa was 12 months. So I just penciled in the 24 month option and created a box which I checked. :lol:

I submitted the application to the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco and the processor looked at it and matter-of-factly told me "No". Hey, can't say I didn't try. :rolleyes:

She did look over our marriage registration booklets and agreed to issue me a Multi-Entry L Visa for 1 year with 60 day stay each entry. Makes me happy and is a step in the right direction. If we need to go back for any family emergency or some situation where we need to do something with our home......no problem. :D

Now what's all this talk about registrating with the local police? I've never had to worry about this before. We'll have to find out what the situation is in our neighborhood, then do what is right....I guess. :ph34r:

PapaBear B)

I am happy to hear that you got your new visa! I live in Shanghai so for me it was expensive to get a new F visa so I started to look at other options so I didnt have to leave every 60 days or so. If you are married to a Chinese citizen you can get a 1 year multiple entry visa that does not have a maximum stay. Meaning you do not have to leave every 60 or 90 days or so. I could only get that were my wife has her Hukou. It was still expesnsive compared to other countries. It was 940rmb. I got it back in a couple of days. Very easy.

As Bill mentioned:

It's too bad but it's making retirement in Malaysia look like the only alternative... :surrender: I'm just not going to put up with endless visa hassles... :harhar1:

With the price of a Chinese Visa up to $130 a pop, wouldn't it just make plain sense to go for a Multi-Entry L Visa? A notice I read on the Chinese Consulate's Website states they are availabe for up to 24 months. :happy2:

Since I'm headed for Beijing this January for a 5 week stay, and we usually go back to Beijing at least once a year....I figured this was a way to beat the cost of another visa. Funny thing though, when I printed out the Visa Application Form, the longest option for a Multi-Entry Visa was 12 months. So I just penciled in the 24 month option and created a box which I checked. :roller:

I submitted the application to the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco and the processor looked at it and matter-of-factly told me "No". Hey, can't say I didn't try. :happydance:

Now what's all this talk about registrating with the local police? I've never had to worry about this before. We'll have to find out what the situation is in our neighborhood, then do what is right....I guess. :surprise:

PapaBear :cold:

I am happy to hear that you got your new visa! I live in Shanghai so for me it was expensive to get a new F visa so I started to look at other options so I didnt have to leave every 60 days or so. If you are married to a Chinese citizen you can get a 1 year multiple entry visa that does not have a maximum stay. Meaning you do not have to leave every 60 or 90 days or so. I could only get that were my wife has her Hukou. It was still expesnsive compared to other countries. It was 940rmb. I got it back in a couple of days. Very easy.

All fine and well while your wife remains a Chinese citizen...But we both want my wife to become a USC and I am so not going to be traveling to HK every 60 days to get stamped...Simply put China does not want foreigners living there except as workers...Many other Asian countries have excellent visa schemes for foreigners to live there and spend their money to help local economies... :D In Malaysia we will be receiving a renewable 10 year social pass visa that allows us to come and go as we please with no restrictions on length of stay in or out of the country... B) And there is also nowhere in China that has such consistently reliable warm weather... :ok:

As Bill mentioned:

It's too bad but it's making retirement in Malaysia look like the only alternative... :unsure: I'm just not going to put up with endless visa hassles... :blink:

I submitted the application to the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco and the processor looked at it and matter-of-factly told me "No". Hey, can't say I didn't try. :P

Now what's all this talk about registrating with the local police? I've never had to worry about this before. We'll have to find out what the situation is in our neighborhood, then do what is right....I guess. :ph34r:

PapaBear B)

All fine and well while your wife remains a Chinese citizen...But we both want my wife to become a USC and I am so not going to be traveling to HK every 60 days to get stamped...Simply put China does not want foreigners living there except as workers...Many other Asian countries have excellent visa schemes for foreigners to live there and spend their money to help local economies... :D In Malaysia we will be receiving a renewable 10 year social pass visa that allows us to come and go as we please with no restrictions on length of stay in or out of the country... B) And there is also nowhere in China that has such consistently reliable warm weather... :D

Yeah, the nerve of them making it difficult for just anybody and their brother to up and sprout roots in China. After all, they only have 1.4+ billion people already. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the nerve of them making it difficult for just anybody and their brother to up and sprout roots in China. After all, they only have 1.4+ billion people already. B)

Just a couple more wouldn't even be noticed, right? :roller:

Unfortunately, what they REALLY don't want is old farts like me who would like to retire there. We might require healthcare... :D

Yeah, the nerve of them making it difficult for just anybody and their brother to up and sprout roots in China. After all, they only have 1.4+ billion people already. :rolleyes:

Just a couple more wouldn't even be noticed, right? :mobrun:

Unfortunately, what they REALLY don't want is old farts like me who would like to retire there. We might require healthcare... :alldone:

Stll couldn't they cut a deal for those born in China and now citizens of another country, and their spouses of course...I just think it would help their economy as Americans are well known as free spenders... B) and as for the health care I can pay for it ya' know... :) But I guess we'll just have to limit ourselves to living most of the time in Malaysia, Thailand or Philippines... :D and making 60 day forays into China (a closed society)... :ph34r:

China is opening up. Just look at what a relationship between a Chinese and an American would have been like 30 years ago. In terms of a country changing, that's not long ago.

America has been through 8 years of the most damaging foreign policy in our history. The relationship between China and America could be a lot better and may improve now that we have elected leadership that will hopefully move America away from it's direction of becoming a closed country.

One thing that will not change soon (although the 'one child' policy is an insightful and bold move forward) is China's overpopulation. One theory I believe that is admittedly controversial: Most of the worlds problems can be attributed to overpopulation. China is the only country I'm aware of that is actively and effectively doing something about it.

Let's hope for the best. Our family members in China are wonderful people. I would love to be near them in my retirement years.

China is opening up. Just look at what a relationship between a Chinese and an American would have been like 30 years ago. In terms of a country changing, that's not long ago.

America has been through 8 years of the most damaging foreign policy in our history. The relationship between China and America could be a lot better and may improve now that we have elected leadership that will hopefully move America away from it's direction of becoming a closed country.

One thing that will not change soon (although the 'one child' policy is an insightful and bold move forward) is China's overpopulation. One theory I believe that is admittedly controversial: Most of the worlds problems can be attributed to overpopulation. China is the only country I'm aware of that is actively and effectively doing something about it.

Let's hope for the best. Our family members in China are wonderful people. I would love to be near them in my retirement years.

I'm willing to help their employment problem by hiring a full-time maid... :alldone: I hope they change their visa policy too Richard but I'm not holding my breath... :rolleyes:

I've done it on three separate visits.

All I had to do was apply at the local police station, pay the fee, and I got an extension with no hassle at all.

Your wife (or fiancee) should be able to determine the appropriate person to talk to.

I've extended twice in China. The first time was relatively easy at the main police station where my wife is from, Fushun, Liaoning. We had to take my wife's father there with his credentials. The second time my wife tried to use her sister's local police station with no success, we were directed to her father's station where after an hour the local king wanted $100 bribe. My wife refused to pay. We went back to the hotel where I sweated what I was going to do, either go to Hong Kong or stay and pay the fine when we exited. My wife's street smart nephew disappeared from the hotel and returned thirty minutes later with a letter from our hotel on their letterlhead paper. It explained that we had already stayed there for three weeks and that I was a bonified husband of a Chinese national. My wife and nephew went to the main police station with my passport and I had the extension in three days.

We returned this past June. I wasn't going to go through the hassle again so my wife left for a forty day stay. Prior to this I applied for a single entry visa to arrive ten days later than my wife. Low and behold, they give me a 90 day multiple entry visa. Too bad our tickets were already purchased and I was stuck with thirty days.

Moral is: get yourself single entry visa if they are still good for 90 days or get a good letter of recommendation from your hotel. Make sure you get the official BIG RED STAR STAMP ON THE LETTER. That seems to make all the difference regardless who brags on your character.

Yeah, the nerve of them making it difficult for just anybody and their brother to up and sprout roots in China. After all, they only have 1.4+ billion people already. :lol:

Just a couple more wouldn't even be noticed, right? :angry:

Unfortunately, what they REALLY don't want is old farts like me who would like to retire there. We might require healthcare... :D

I don't think they are worried about your healthcare needs. After all, you'd be paying cash just like most other people and not be getting any government benefits.

Yeah, the nerve of them making it difficult for just anybody and their brother to up and sprout roots in China. After all, they only have 1.4+ billion people already. :lol:

Just a couple more wouldn't even be noticed, right? :angry:

Stll couldn't they cut a deal for those born in China and now citizens of another country, and their spouses of course...I just think it would help their economy as Americans are well known as free spenders... :huh: and as for the health care I can pay for it ya' know... :lol: But I guess we'll just have to limit ourselves to living most of the time in Malaysia, Thailand or Philippines... :o and making 60 day forays into China (a closed society)... :blink:

While I can see your point, I can't really see where their current polices are that bad. Yes, people have spouses who are former PRC nationals, but the fact is that if you were to renounce your US citizenship it might be pretty darned difficult for you to get a long-term tourist visa to return to the US.

Actually, for those married to current PRC citizens, they can easily get long-term tourist visas. This is much better than before (about 5 years ago) when the best you could get when married to a Chinese citizen was ... ZILCH!

Also as of 5 years ago, there is now an option for permanent residency. Prior to that, the only way you'd remain here permanently was if you died and were burined here.

Although not as fast as some people would like, things are improving. Besides, change comes slow ... very slow in China usually.

I've extended twice in China. The first time was relatively easy at the main police station where my wife is from, Fushun, Liaoning. We had to take my wife's father there with his credentials. The second time my wife tried to use her sister's local police station with no success, we were directed to her father's station where after an hour the local king wanted $100 bribe. My wife refused to pay. We went back to the hotel where I sweated what I was going to do, either go to Hong Kong or stay and pay the fine when we exited. My wife's street smart nephew disappeared from the hotel and returned thirty minutes later with a letter from our hotel on their letterlhead paper. It explained that we had already stayed there for three weeks and that I was a bonified husband of a Chinese national. My wife and nephew went to the main police station with my passport and I had the extension in three days.

We returned this past June. I wasn't going to go through the hassle again so my wife left for a forty day stay. Prior to this I applied for a single entry visa to arrive ten days later than my wife. Low and behold, they give me a 90 day multiple entry visa. Too bad our tickets were already purchased and I was stuck with thirty days.

Moral is: get yourself single entry visa if they are still good for 90 days or get a good letter of recommendation from your hotel. Make sure you get the official BIG RED STAR STAMP ON THE LETTER. That seems to make all the difference regardless who brags on your character.

Good advice!

I'm fortunate that we own a home in China and I work there for a couple months each summer as a participant in an international agreement in a well respected profession. An additional boon is that my brother-in-law is the second highest ranking police officer in the city.

The bottom line, I'm known and respected in our hometown. But, we still have to abide by the rules. If the law has changed and I can no longer get a renewal in China: That's the way it is.

What was said above.

We have a new administration.

I guess we will have to wait and see how the new policy developes.

I can only say that in my China travels, both rual and in the cites, the people view the US as friend. I hope the new administration takes heed and makes an effort to improve life for those of us who have China ties. :cheering: